SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

You are viewing page of 6.

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Mar 17th, 2014
thumbs_up 3
Report  ORIGINAL

Lobster said 4 months ago

Canuck Multis2017

Show Original Post
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #126 

Lobster said 1 week ago

In the Canada Games Hep. Dallyssa Huggins is in first place after 2 events. She ran the 100m H in 15.45 ( -1.2 ) & jumped 1.82m in HJ. She has 1,786 pts so far. She also has the 400m H to run today. Busy woman.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #127 

Lobster said 1 week ago

That appears to be a PR in HJ by Dallyssa Huggins by 5cm.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #128 

Lobster said 1 week ago

At the CG Dallyssa Huggins leads the Hep after Day 1 with 3,238 pts. She won the SP with 11.90m, and ran the 200m in 25.99 ( 2.1 ).

Quote comment
  • juddy96 User since:
    May 27th, 2017
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #129 

juddy96 said 1 week ago

http://athletics.ca/calendar-rankings/rankings/#sthash.4qjjmiTQ.dpbs

I've realized that if you look at the top 23 on Canadian 2017 Heptathlon scores, 12 of them currently are in NCAA or will be on NCAA teams next year. And that doesn't include Nicole Wadden who just graduated. I guess there aren't that many heptathletes out there for schools to grab in comparison to sprinters and distance runners

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #130 

Lobster said 1 week ago

Dallyssa Huggins ran 1:00.69 for the bronze medal in the 400m H. Not too shabby after day 1 of a Hep. I believe that it is a new PR for her.
    Today is day 2 with LJ, not her best event, followed by JT, where she is quite successful, then 800m where she is very strong.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #131 

Lobster said 1 week ago

Quoting: juddy96
    "http://athletics.ca/calendar-rankings/rankings/#sthash.4qjjmiTQ.dpbs

I've realized that if you look at the top 23 on Canadian 2017 Heptathlon scores, 12 of them currently are in NCAA or will be on NCAA teams next year. And that doesn't include Nicole Wadden who just graduated. I guess there aren't that many heptathletes out there for schools to grab in comparison to sprinters and distance runners"

This may have to do more with coaching styles in Canada and the US. I think that we are more inclined to give young athletes a kind of a general coaching, with the best expectation that they will have a positive athletic experience, without the big time competitive atmosphere often found to the south. I get the feeling that in the US if you don't have blinding speed, or big time hops, the coach may advise you to go play tennis, or some other sport. Their saving grace in middle and long distances is their x-country program. We are just glad to have someone come out for track with a positive attitude.
    Heptathletes usually play all sports: soccer, volleyball, basketball, etc.
    I like our program and it seems to work.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #132 

Runfastrunfar said 1 week ago

Dear Lobster:

I am curious where you got this impression or information about US coaching styles vs. Canadian coaching styles.

The logical reason why half of the heptathletes are going South;

- Canada does not have the Heptathlon in the USports system, or outdoor track for that matter.
    - Warm-weather training
    - Funding and financial support is easier to come by in the USA than in Canada (Lottery funding is hit or miss; the pie is not getting bigger)
    - A 50% maximum on athletic scholarships
    - More competitions and more competitive (10% of ALL Rio Olympians competed in the NCAA)
    - More resources to support the athletes

Coaching in the NCAA system is dependent on the coach not the NCAA. Likewise, coaching in Canada is dependent on the coach and not USports or their conference.

There are great coaches in both countries and there are coaches I am not enamored with respect to their approach.

Another significant difference between the US and Canada with respect to track is that the US schools recruit internationally. This has a major impact on the quality AND caliber of athletes in meets - you can be pushed or pulled to better performances in a strong heat/flight. To my knowledge, I do not believe many schools in Canada actively recruit internationally to fill their rosters.

Something else to consider is that coaches in the States are paid (like professionals) and there are bonuses for performances (in the classroom AND the track). The highest paid coaches in the US can make over $346, 869 (Canadian) a year. But this is dependent on the success of the team and athletes under your care - this is an incentive to GIVE your best as a coach to GET the best out of your athletes. To my knowledge we do not have any coaches in USports making that kind of money or compensated in that manner.

Finally, in order to win an NCAA Division 1 title you need to be truly world-class. The NCAA winner in the heptathlon this year scored 6265 (IAAF standard). Nina Schultz (a Canadian) scored 5959, just below IAAF Standards. Her coach (Cliff Rovelto), had another heptahlete in the 2016 Olympics. On the men's side you needed 8390 to win.

Background: Competed in a ranked Top-10 NCAA school; coached CIS (USport) athletes.

PS: It is obvious we have great coaches in Canada and outstanding athletes, otherwise US schools would not be recruiting them or offering the athletes scholarships.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #133 

Lobster said 1 week ago

Runfastrunfar-
    You made some great points. I would say that the performance expectations and the monetary incentives play a large part in how coaching is approached in each country. Which goes back to my point about our success in multis being based on a kind of less competitive dog-eat-dog world. Young athletes get to try any event they would like, and there is usually not a lot of pressure to win at all costs, but to enjoy their participation.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #134 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: Lobster
    "Runfastrunfar-
    You made some great points. I would say that the performance expectations and the monetary incentives play a large part in how coaching is approached in each country. Which goes back to my point about our success in multis being based on a kind of less competitive dog-eat-dog world. Young athletes get to try any event they would like, and there is usually not a lot of pressure to win at all costs, but to enjoy their participation."

There are also very few states that have combined events in the high school system in the US, and the number of kids competing in the summer club system in the US is rather small. Canadian kids get to do multi-events from a very young age so they come in with scores that look better than the average american combined event prospects who might have done a few events and you are speculating on how they will fare in the other ones. Combined event athletes with a score already are hard to come by, so the Canadian kids have a better chance of being noticed than in a lot of the events.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #135 

Lobster said 1 week ago

At the Canada Games Day 2 started with LJ. Jansen Ziola (Sask) had the best jump of 5.39m. She placed fourth with a total of 4,764 pts.
    Dallyssa Huggins (Ont) had a tough time in LJ with 5.00m, and her JT was off as well at 31.93m. However, she more than made up with a strong 800m in 2:11.44 to win with 5,254 pts. That is on top of a bronze medal in 400m H, and a steeplechase in 13th.
    Maude Leveille (Que) placed second with a new PR of 5,094 pts.
    Kara Kopec (Alb) placed third in the Hep with 4,950 pts.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #136 

Lobster said 5 days ago

Well, with the World's in London, the season is coming to a finish. In the Dec., Day#1, Damian Warner sits fourth with 4,347 pts. He is sick apparently, but is toughing it out. His 100m was an unsensational 10.50 ( 0.7 ). His LJ was equally so-so @ 7.44m ( -0.6 ). SP was 13.45m, about average for Damian. HJ was 2.02m, again about average for him. His 400m was quite good @ 47.47. A tough day at the office.
    Tomorrow's first event, the 110m H is key. He has to lay down a great one to have any hope at a medal. His DT is adequate on a good day, but PV is not his strongest event. He will give away a lot of points here. JT is adequate, again. The 1,500m is one of his strengths, but it's tough to count on moving to the top of the pile based on the 1,500m.
    He has a good shot at a medal, although it's tough when you have a type of flu.
    Nevertheless, "Go Damian, Go !"

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #137 

Lobster said 4 days ago

Damian Warner ran 13.63 ( -.1 ) H to lead that event. He is now in third place, although it's a tenuous position.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #138 

Lobster said 4 days ago

40.67m in DT for Damian Warner and in fifth place going into the final 3 events : PV, JT, @ 1,500m. He will need PRs in at least 2 of these events, if not all 3, if he is to medal.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #139 

Lobster said 4 days ago

Damian Warner 4.70m in PV, and sitting in fifth place. His health seems precarious at this moment, which is a tough challenge.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #140 

Lobster said 4 days ago

56.63m in JT for Damian Warner, and he remains in fifth place. I would not really like to have to push it in a 1,500m with flu like symptoms.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #141 

Lobster said 4 days ago

Final event 1,500m. Damian Warner ran 4:28.39 placing fifth in the Dec. Tough with the flu. Proud of your gutsy performance, Damian.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #142 

Anonymous2 said 3 days ago

Quoting: Lobster
    "Final event 1,500m. Damian Warner ran 4:28.39 placing fifth in the Dec. Tough with the flu. Proud of your gutsy performance, Damian."

I am very proud of him too and the best effort by a Canadian thus far! I'm sorry to say and I hope I am wrong that it's going to be a no medal showing for Canada at these world championships. On a positive note how about Sally Pearson. What a gutsy race! So happy for her!

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1