LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 1
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 4 months ago

College transfers

Some transfers happen after first degree at signed college; some are bc of coaching changes; some are pursuing masters degrees. Whatever the reasons. If they then compete in athletics again, is it worth starting this thread. I know of at least 2 athletes that no longer compete at their recruited college and now compete elsewhere

Quote comment
  • el-hefe User since:
    Oct 16th, 2016
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #1 

El Hefe said 4 months ago

Having first hand experience both as a former student/athlete on scholarship as well as a parent of two children who received athletic scholarships I can speak volumes on this issue.

I chose my school based on academics not it's athletics. The academic experience was excellent the athletic experience was less rewarding.

We allowed our eldest child to choose his US college without becoming too involved and it was an expensive error. After his freshman year the scholarship was revoked because he did not meet the expectations of the coach. He chose not to have us involved in the interview process and like every 17 year old he did not know what hard questions to ask and to spot the warning signs when the coach skirted questions. The loss of the scholarship required us to incur over $100,000 in additional educational expenses to complete his degree. He was allowed to remain on the track team but receive no scholarship funding, he chose to switch schools rather than stay with the coach he felt treated him unfairly.

Three years ago his sister received many offers (all of which were partial scholarships) which varied in value from $5000 to $20000 and we attended all interviews with coaches and had a list of prepared questions. The role of the coach is to offer each athlete just enough funding to get them to attend his school. She chose a Canadian school that offered her a relatively small amount compared to the US colleges but at the end of the day it was cheaper for us (the financial supporting parents) than accepting a $20000 US college offer. These men and women are highly skilled negotiators who have decades of experience so leaving your teenage child alone in the process is a huge mistake that could cost you the parents tens of thousands of dollars.

From my children's track friends I would estimate 20% have switched schools. Primary reason was the coach was not what they expected and the pressure of a full course load and track team was too much.

Long answer to the question.....yes many athletes change schools before they graduate or quit the team altogether.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #2 

Dude said 4 months ago

We allowed our eldest child to choose his US college without becoming too involved and it was an expensive error

What In Tarnation???

Quote comment
  • master2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #3 

Master2B said 4 months ago

Transferring U.S. colleges is an option if the coach releases you. I know a few athletes, myself included, that did not receive a release even though the head coach thought they were a bad fit.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

Alex cry - Windsor
    Dal DeWolfe - Dal
    Addison Derhak - Dal

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #5 

Yves Sikubwabo - Ottawa (Going back home)
    Ben Weir - SFU (Don't have anymore money to take the ferry back to Victoria)
    Declan White - Laval ("Girls are so cute in Quebec City!!!" - D. White)
    Adam Strueby - Calgary (Wanna train with his good friend Roman)

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1