LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Sep 27th, 2013
thumbs_up 6
Report  ORIGINAL

KinRunner said 1 week ago

Gillis to coach St. FX

http://www.goxgo.ca/sports/xc/2017-18/releases/20170717jrg5it

Looks like a long term gig for Eric, and a great recruiting tool for FX.

Hopefully this doesn;t signal a retirement upcoming, after the Olympics I'm excited to see what else he can do!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #1 

X-MAN (Cyclops #1) said 1 week ago

Has he been coaching at all prior to this? Does he have any credentials? I understand he was an amazing athlete but the way I read it he is going to do a 1 year mentorship and be GIVEN a head coaching gig. I am sure there are many coaches who would have applied for this position if it was posted.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #2 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: X-MAN (Cyclops #1)
    "Has he been coaching at all prior to this? Does he have any credentials? I understand he was an amazing athlete but the way I read it he is going to do a 1 year mentorship and be GIVEN a head coaching gig. I am sure there are many coaches who would have applied for this position if it was posted."

Antigonish is in small-town Atlantic Canada. What you just described is the only way to get a job there.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #3 

You're right - nepotism is literally the only way to get a good job here. (Not sarcastic - this is how it is and it is great or terrible depending on which side you fall on).

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 10
    Report    REPLY #4 

Lee McCarron would have been amazing in this position. Proven coach.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #5 

Quoting: KinRunner
    "http://www.goxgo.ca/sports/xc/2017-18/releases/20170717jrg5it

Looks like a long term gig for Eric, and a great recruiting tool for FX.

Hopefully this doesn;t signal a retirement upcoming, after the Olympics I'm excited to see what else he can do!"

Well theres the counter to windsor using the movie star guy to recruit...looks like atlantic and ontario are locked up for years

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #6 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Lee McCarron would have been amazing in this position. Proven coach."

Although I do believe Lee would be an excellent fit for the position I am not sure he is willing to coach a university as of now. He has done an amazing job with the Halifax Road Hammers and believe he also helps out with Dalhousie in the cross season?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #7 

"You're right - nepotism is literally the only way to get a good job here. (Not sarcastic - this is how it is and it is great or terrible depending on which side you fall on)."

An amazing, accomplished coach handpicks an athlete he mentored, whose character he intimately knows, and whose field of study has been human kinetics, and this is your comment? This will be a fantastic choice, made by the single person best qualified to choose. I kind of think Eric will know who to turn to for advice any time he needs it.

Quote comment
  • maser User since:
    Mar 27th, 2015
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #8 

Maser said 1 week ago

Eric Gillis. will be an excellent coach. Great to see him get an opportunity like that.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #9 

Craig said 1 week ago

Dudes! He's one of Canada's best ever all around distance runners, and frankly just seems like a solid character across the board. His presence alone would be an incredible motivator for the guys on the team. I can't quite understand how half the posts on this are negative. Huge catch for St FX running.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #10 

I've never met him, but all his interviews and everything I've heard of him have come across as very positive. He seems like a stand up guy, and a great face for the Canadian running community as a whole. He's definitely a top notch athlete, one of the best Canadians ever, and after many years working with some of the top athletes and coaches in Canada he should be able to contribute meaningfully as a coach to his alma mater. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #11 

1 Word said 1 week ago

"I've never met him, but all his interviews and everything I've heard of him have come across as very positive. He seems like a stand up guy, and a great face for the Canadian running community as a whole. He's definitely a top notch athlete, one of the best Canadians ever, and after many years working with some of the top athletes and coaches in Canada he should be able to contribute meaningfully as a coach to his alma mater. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes."

Wayne Gretzky!

Don't wish him or their time ill-will on any front but everything you just said were reasons as to why #99 was supposed to be the saviour in Phoenix! Look at how that turned out. The best athletes don't always make the best coaches. I hope he does well but with so much support for an un-proven and, in reality, unqualified coach just because he is an alumnus, one of the best, and a a greater interviewer I have to chuckle.

Quote comment
  • master2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #12 

Master2B said 1 week ago

Let's see, he's run for the program under the retiring coach, he's had the highest placing in an Olympics marathon since the '70s, he's run for a highly successful High Performance coach at Guelph and he will shadow for a full year. Not to mention he has a great personality and is an extremely positive person to be around. Sounds like a recipe for success!

I've heard Hilary Stellingwerff will get the head coach position at UVic when Brent retires. Great succession planning from both these universities!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #13 

Quoting: Master2B
    "Let's see, he's run for the program under the retiring coach, he's had the highest placing in an Olympics marathon since the '70s, he's run for a highly successful High Performance coach at Guelph and he will shadow for a full year. Not to mention he has a great personality and is an extremely positive person to be around. Sounds like a recipe for success!

I've heard Hilary Stellingwerff will get the head coach position at UVic when Brent retires. Great succession planning from both these universities!"

There is no event longer than 3k in USports. He has no coaching experience. I don't think USports is quivering in fear with this hire, but then I don't think it was an especially hotly desired job.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 18
    Report    REPLY #14 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: 1 Word
    "Wayne Gretzky!

Don't wish him or their time ill-will on any front but everything you just said were reasons as to why #99 was supposed to be the saviour in Phoenix! Look at how that turned out. The best athletes don't always make the best coaches. I hope he does well but with so much support for an un-proven and, in reality, unqualified coach just because he is an alumnus, one of the best, and a a greater interviewer I have to chuckle."

Of course having been a great runner is no guarantee that someone will know how to coach (but it rarely hurts-- unless the person is SO great that he/she might not have a clue about the ordinary mortals with whom he/she must work. And I'm thinking that this may explain the Gretzky thing).

But there is so much more going on with this hire. Eric is a great athlete (but hardly otherworldly, to the point of not being able to relate); he is a alum of the CIS (and of THIS actual little school, in this somewhat out of the way place); he is actually FROM the province in which the school is located, and so is unlikely to move away in a couple of years; he was coached by the outgoing coach; he is intimately familiar with the best program in CIS history; and, he happens to be very likeable guy. Getting him is a stone-cold coup for SFX. I'm sure they are very excited (as is the whole league, I can assure you, to have a guy like this join the coaching ranks).

Quote comment
  • michaelrochus User since:
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #15 

MichaelRochus said 1 week ago

Quoting: X-MAN (Cyclops #1)
    "Has he been coaching at all prior to this? Does he have any credentials? I understand he was an amazing athlete but the way I read it he is going to do a 1 year mentorship and be GIVEN a head coaching gig. I am sure there are many coaches who would have applied for this position if it was posted."

I think for a guy like Eric, it's not all that bothersome that he doesn't have any official coaching experience (that I know about, anyway). From what I've seen, Eric shows and has shown great leadership within the SR group. I would put him as the equivalent to a guy like Gary Roberts, a "locker room leader" and an asset to any team, at any point in his career. I have complete faith he'll be a great coach.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #16 

Eric will do a great job. With any new role there will be a learning curve, but he does have a great deal of experience within the system. Has been around DST and Guelph for over a decade, has a great personality, and is moving back home to start his career once his own running is over. Huge win for X, and may breath some life into the AUS moving forward

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #17 

I cannot find the article, but remember reading Eric was a walk-on at X. Those humble beginnings will certainly help with coaching the newer recruits. He also has an education degree in addition to Kines., which cannot hurt. Eric will be a huge asset to StFX and AUS.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #18 

Eric is born and raised in Antigonish. He is simply going home. He was a very good high school athlete and won provincials in NS; so hardly a traditional walkon.
    I think people are being negative because the job wasn't posted for applications.

Quote comment
  • aus-scout User since:
    Sep 15th, 2015
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #19 

AUS Scout said 1 week ago

The AUS is on the RISE !!!!! Watch Out !!!!
    Gonna be a pure dog scrap this fall !!!!!!!

This post was edited by AUS Scout 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #20 

The position should have been posted. There are not many opportunities in the CIS for coaching. Its possible Eric would have been hired regardless of applications.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #21 

When was the last time the CIS/USport had this many head coaching changes within a year? U of S in April, UNB in May, Windsor in July and now the inevitable St.FX March 2018 and at some point in the next year York

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1