SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

You are viewing page of 3.

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

track city said 2 months ago

How To Make Track More Popular

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #51 

Fun Facts said 1 month ago

Quoting: powerboy
    "Thanks for at least least attempting to back up your position. But you still said you would not pay a dollar. Sorry, that means you are not a fan. When Bolt came to Toronto a few years ago we had a similar debate. . And your point of view was wrong then too. Bolt was/is the No.1 athlete in the world. He was worth paying $100. to see for 10 seconds. And I have seen Tiger up close, and lemieux and gretzsky, and Bolt was by far the most exciting to see.. and you are also wrong about the quality of athlete. There are no better athletes in other sports (although I agree they pay a lot more) I couldn't name or recognize a Blue Jay or Raptor if they asked me for directions."

Fun Fact: Bolt did run 10 seconds on the dot at that meet.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #52 

Go powerboy said 1 month ago

But your answer betrays your real feelings. You are not a track fan. You don't have any appreciation for the amount of talent and development of talent required to stand on a podium.

Well said, Lord Vader.

Quote comment
  • michaelrochus User since:
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #53 

MichaelRochus said 1 month ago

Back on topic: For what it's worth, I went to the Waterloo Classic last night, which is a bike race. Decent sized crowd, loud music, fantastic announcers, catering and beverage tents and, most importantly, amazing racing on a small loop (plenty of viewing opportunities)...they seem to do everything right there, and even as a mild fan of cycling, I was entertained and would go back. Also, it was a crit race, and that was pretty cool to watch (a better model than the pursuit races from this past winter IMO).

Quote comment
  • roach User since:
    Oct 30th, 2013
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #54 

Roach said 1 month ago

All these suggestion are great but isn't main issue public outreach and advertising? Meets with big names can draw the big crowds (like Harry Jerome) but what about other meets? My suggestions is to start to host races and events at the halftime or breaks in other sporting events (like a football or soccer game). It could be fairly easy to implement as lots of stadiums have tracks. I think I had heard from someone once that some school did this a some time ago for a distance race during a football game. The game was paused sometime before half, and the runners started and ran out of the stadium. This was timed so that the runners finished during the half in the stadium. This model would be good for University's as people could cheer for the home school runners.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #55 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

I agree the main issue is that our big name athletes rarely if ever compete in Canada. DeGrasee and Bishop at the Harry Jerome and the Canadians that is it. If it was a none WC year they would not attend Canadians. The list is endless.

The only group of Canadian track athletes that are active all year and promoting the sport are our Race Walkers. Evan Dunfie is active in the community, attended all the high school regionals, gave coaching advice to the kids and what does he get in return? Absolutely nothing the poor guy got his sponsorship cut last year!! Our #1 sprinter gets 7 figure contract from Puma and he clearly is uncomfortable even signing for the kids.

You want to make track more popular our stars need to give back to the community.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #56 

Andrew Jones said 1 month ago

You want to make track more popular our stars need to give back to the community.

I would agree and suggest that AC as part of its talent identification program should be taking our top athletes out on the road with them -- if they haven't done so already.

...but isn't main issue public outreach and advertising?

A classic "chicken and egg" paradox there, I think. One more cliché that applies: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Pat principles aside, one may start by asking if the product on offer is -- compared to other entertainment products -- rather bland and inaccessible in its current form. If that is the case, then any amount of fantastic communications, presentation, advertising, etc. will be wasted.

Better, IMHO, to first do a comprehensive analysis/market survey of the way things are, gauge those responses to ascertain necessary changes, and once those changes are made, only then put $$$ and people power into more public outreach and advertising.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #57 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "If it was a none WC year they would not attend Canadians. The list is endless."

WCs are every second year. One of those non-WC years is an Olympic year. Pretty sure that means they would at least be attending 3 out of 4 years.

Do you have any evidence suggesting the big names don't attend nationals that 4th year?

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1