SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

You are viewing page of 2.

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 13
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 2 months ago

Inferno Admission Fees

Show Original Post
  • el-hefe User since:
    Oct 16th, 2016
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #26 

El Hefe said 2 months ago

You guys are preaching to the choir.

Perhaps you need to come to Vancouver and see how we do it for the Jerome.

You need a meet director and organizing committee with the connections to bring in the big names. Sorry guys but your lineup is not going to attract much more than family and friends to your meet.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #27 

Here are some pics and video mainly from Canadian running that give a good idea of attendance during the 2017 Canadian 10,000m Championships

Crowd hitting the track for the 🇨🇦 10,000m championships
    https://twitter.com/CanadianRunning/status/875152231217209344

🇨🇦M10,000m final: 11 Laps to go
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCUrSemW0AAFcwZ.jpg

Rachel Hannah beginning to put pressure on this lead group, shows backstretch hill
    https://twitter.com/CanadianRunning/status/875162105632215044
    https://twitter.com/CanadianRunning/status/875165825132613632

Victoria Coates is the 🇨🇦 10,000m champion!
    https://twitter.com/CanadianRunning/status/875167795708923904

Quote comment
  • michaelrochus User since:
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #28 

MichaelRochus said 2 months ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "So what's your take on what these meets should do like so should 1,500m Night and the Windsor May meet charge admission and then use that money to try and build stronger fields?"

Hmmmm...this is a good question. I'm not really in a position to talk about the Windsor meet...I've never been able to make it down (despite many promises/threats to attend...next year, and you can hold me to that!).
    As for 1,500m Night, while I'm just the guy with the microphone, from my perspective, I'm not sure that drawing in fans and spectators is it's top priority. From my perspective (and you can correct me if I'm wrong, Steve), it's there to be a place that people can go and run a fast race, and possibly PB. The amazing part is that this event has achieved that for 5:30 metric milers as well as Olympians....and I think that athletes have realized this, and in turn, it's attracted a lot of people looking to run a good time.
    How do you market that to spectators? I'm not sure it's really necessary. It's a meet that sustains itself off of entrants, and that's what sets it aside from the meet mentioned in the title of this thread. However, with that being said, I do know that Steve has made that meet more spectator friendly, making sure the heats go off at exact time intervals, making sure there is minimal downtime.
    It's funny, when I was doing radio marketing advising in a previous gig, every piece of training literature I ever read agreed that "word of mouth" is the best form of marketing. Something that both the Windsor and London meets have is a lot of credibility (I think most runners know about those two meets), so I really can't explain low spectator numbers.
    Maybe if we did something like this....

People love gimmicky world records, after all.

Quote comment
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #29 

MichaelRochus said 2 months ago

Quoting: OP
    "So if Attack in Black can sell out a bar at $15 a ticket why can a track meet, with several Olympians, in a city with the best collegiate and post-collegiate groups in the country not even fill 50% of their stadium at the same price? Clearly the demand for track events is not as high. I don't expect to be able to get in for free to a meet like this, but as you said even free track events in a city like London can't draw crowds. I think a tiered system like Harry Jerome would be better - maybe with a student discount, or a discount for registered AO/AC members. I'm not sure what Harry Jerome is doing so differently to be able to sell out - maybe it is the big names that sell tickets. Going back to your concert example, tickets to go see Muse (the musical equivalent of De Grasse, Bishop, Drouin, Barber, etc. for this example) are currently going for $100+, and I'm willing to bet you (and most people) would not have paid that to be at the Attack in Black show. So why should the tickets to the Inferno, with a comparatively weaker field, be pretty much equivalent in price to Harry Jerome? Heck I can get tickets to go see the best in the world compete at Monaco for 10 Euros ($14.81 equivalent). There is clearly a lack of interest for high level track meets at these prices, as evidenced by the disappearance of the Edmonton and Victoria meets and the low attendance in Guelph, so what can we do to get the general public more interested and convince more people to come out and attend? Also, just to address your cake point, I never said I want better athletes AND I want to pay less - my point was I want better athletes OR I want to pay less."

I feel like this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Alumni Stadium is also pretty friggen huge. Google tells me that at capacity, it can hold 8,500...that a lot of space...and if the stands are holding 1000 people (not an awful turnout), it looks like a lot of empty space. Maybe before we continue to comment on "low attendance," we should get an actual number.
    To one of your points, I agree, I like the idea of a tiered system(coming from a family of 7, I can appreciate the need for a group rate), and maybe that's something for organizers to look at in the future.
    As for the music comparison...I thought that the Attack In Black to Inferno comparison was fair. Attack In Black was never a huge name...they got some national radio play, but were never massive. I would equate that to the bigger names at the Inferno meet, like Eric Gilles and Anthony Romaniw, Genevieve Lalonde...Olympians, yes, but by no means are they being confused with a Farah or Rupp (and that's a shame...G.L was a finalist, E.G was top 10 in the Olympic Marathon...that should be huge). For the top of the top, you would have to go to, yes, a place like Monaco...where, while, yes, some tickets are 10 Euros, a lot of them stretch up to 25, 50 and even 200 Euros. Would I pay those kind of prices to see Attack in Black/Inferno...nope, but $15, in the grand scheme of things is pretty inconsequential(see the many other posts explaining how little it can buy)...especially since we don't get to see a lot of those people race very often (other than when they're running against the people you think are "worth it" on T.V once a year).
    On a slightly unrelated note... long live Attack In Black.

This post was edited by MichaelRochus 2 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #30 

where are they said 2 months ago

Quoting: raven
    "It's great to hear people say they would spend the $15 on admission to a track meet. How many people actually did buy a ticket to the Inferno this year? I remember a few years ago the Inferno meet director Moulton said he expected over 1000 people to attend that year and they expected the meet to keep growing. I'm sure someone who attended can let us know if there were over 1000 people at the Inferno this year and share a picture of all the fans."

I too remember Moulton posting that they expected over 1000 people as part his reasoning why they should host the Canadian 10k track champs. I'm not seeing anywhere close to 1000 people at this or any other Canadian track 10k.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #31 

Quoting: MichaelRochus
    It's funny, when I was doing radio marketing advising in a previous gig, every piece of training literature I ever read agreed that "word of mouth" is the best form of marketing. Something that both the Windsor and London meets have is a lot of credibility (I think most runners know about those two meets), so I really can't explain low spectator numbers.
    Maybe if we did something like this....

People love gimmicky world records, after all."

I don't understand your point here there's no fans in this video so why would the Windsor or London meets copy this gimmick that didn't draw any fans?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #32 

"
    As for the music comparison...I thought that the Attack In Black to Inferno comparison was fair. Attack In Black was never a huge name...they got some national radio play, but were never massive. I would equate that to the bigger names at the Inferno meet, like Eric Gilles and Anthony Romaniw, Genevieve Lalonde...Olympians, yes, but by no means are they being confused with a Farah or Rupp (and that's a shame...G.L was a finalist, E.G was top 10 in the Olympic Marathon...that should be huge). ...
    On a slightly unrelated note...Muse is awful, long live Attack In Black.
    "

Yeah except Eric Gillis is a marathon runner that was just pacing a 10 and Lalonde is a steeplechaser that was running a 1,500m because this meet stopped hosting a women's steeple years ago. Also Muse is good.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #33 

Quoting: OP
    "Heck I can get tickets to go see the best in the world compete at Monaco for 10 Euros ($14.81 equivalent)."

Where would those 10 Euros seats be in the Monaco stadium? What is the price of seats in comparable locations to those in Guelph?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #34 

"I feel like this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Alumni Stadium is also pretty friggen huge. Google tells me that at capacity, it can hold 8,500...that a lot of space...and if the stands are holding 1000 people (not an awful turnout), it looks like a lot of empty space. Maybe before we continue to comment on "low attendance," we should get an actual number.
    To one of your points, I agree, I like the idea of a tiered system(coming from a family of 7, I can appreciate the need for a group rate), and maybe that's something for organizers to look at in the future.
    As for the music comparison...I thought that the Attack In Black to Inferno comparison was fair. Attack In Black was never a huge name...they got some national radio play, but were never massive. I would equate that to the bigger names at the Inferno meet, like Eric Gilles and Anthony Romaniw, Genevieve Lalonde...Olympians, yes, but by no means are they being confused with a Farah or Rupp (and that's a shame...G.L was a finalist, E.G was top 10 in the Olympic Marathon...that should be huge). For the top of the top, you would have to go to, yes, a place like Monaco...where, while, yes, some tickets are 10 Euros, a lot of them stretch up to 25, 50 and even 200 Euros. Would I pay those kind of prices to see Attack in Black/Inferno...nope, but $15, in the grand scheme of things is pretty inconsequential(see the many other posts explaining how little it can buy)...especially since we don't get to see a lot of those people race very often (other than when they're running against the people you think are "worth it" on T.V once a year).
    On a slightly unrelated note... long live Attack In Black.

"

I'm actually pumped attack in black is getting some love, good welland boys they are.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #35 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

IMO it doesn't help that the meet was on a Wednesday (but not sure a weekend would bring in more people). It took 1.5 to 2 hours to get from Toronto to Guelph because traffic was insane.

Quote comment
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #36 

MichaelRochus said 1 month ago

"I don't understand your point here there's no fans in this video so why would the Windsor or London meets copy this gimmick that didn't draw any fans?"

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek on this one...this looks like a practice, anyway. There's a good video on flotrack of it being done at the Portland Track Fest that has people in the stands.
    You can't deny that gimmicks have been a way to get people interested in track, as of late (and to varying degrees of success).

Quote comment
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #37 

MichaelRochus said 1 month ago

"Yeah except Eric Gillis is a marathon runner that was just pacing a 10 and Lalonde is a steeplechaser that was running a 1,500m because this meet stopped hosting a women's steeple years ago. Also Muse is good."

What's your point? Conor Macgregor isn't a boxer, but when he takes on Mayweather, it's still going to make bank.
    I did edit that phrase after the fact, it seemed kind of negative. Musically, I think they're a super talented group...there just seems to be a lack of soul.

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #38 

Buddy said 1 month ago

Lalonde ditching the pacer was worth $100 alone

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #39 

Buddy said 1 month ago

Not sure what Terry expected Lucia to run but he was losing his mind during the race.
    Then today she ran 4:31.50 for the w in Windsor.
    I suspect she'll bring it in Ottawa on fresher legs.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #40 

On my.....there are more fans at a local Junior Development meet!!

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #41 

"On my.....there are more fans at a local Junior Development meet!!"

More fans or more parents?

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1