Elementary School Track & Field Super Meet
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Jun 6th, 2015
thumbs_up 1
Report  ORIGINAL

It's just me said 2 years ago

Legion meets

Are fewer club kids racing in the legion meets this year?
My kids coach suggested not running in the legion meet this year, wondered if a few other club coaches suggested the same to their kids ? I was Looking at some Ontario legion meets and was surprised at the results, times seemed slow which made me think a lot of the faster club kids are opting out this year. Is this due to the number of other very competitive events going on in the province or because nationals are a short drive away vs flying out to the west coast? ( less incentive to make team ontario)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #1 

Anonymous said 2 years ago

Last weekend Legion meets conflicted with AO Jr/Seniors. Many of the faster youth ran there.

In addition, many of the grade 11s are still hoping to make the IAAF youth team and have been running twilight meets for times.

Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #2 

NC Blogger said 2 years ago

You don't have to run in the local Legion meets unless of course you want to be named to the provincial legion team. The National Legion meet is still open to anyone who runs the qualifying standards, so many of those who feel they can meet or have met the auto qualifiers may not elect to run these meets.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #3 

Anonymous said 2 years ago

Anyone else avoid Twilight meets because of high school exams? Whose decision should this be, the teenage athlete, the coach, or the parents?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

iRun2Fast said 1 week ago

Please post the 2017 standards for Legion nats.
    thanks

Quoting: NC Blogger
    "You don't have to run in the local Legion meets unless of course you want to be named to the provincial legion team. The National Legion meet is still open to anyone who runs the qualifying standards, so many of those who feel they can meet or have met the auto qualifiers may not elect to run these meets."

Quote comment
  • el-hefe User since:
    Oct 16th, 2016
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #5 

El Hefe said 1 week ago

http://www.legion.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2017-Tech-Manual_Eng_May18.pdf

Appendix B page 15

My prediction....it will be the most poorly attended National Champs in years.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #6 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Anyone else avoid Twilight meets because of high school exams? Whose decision should this be, the teenage athlete, the coach, or the parents?"

could be a good stress reliever - and it isn't like students spend their entire day studying. Ok to take a break for a couple of hours :-)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #7 

Quoting: It's just me
    "Are fewer club kids racing in the legion meets this year?
    My kids coach suggested not running in the legion meet this year, wondered if a few other club coaches suggested the same to their kids ? I was Looking at some Ontario legion meets and was surprised at the results, times seemed slow which made me think a lot of the faster club kids are opting out this year. Is this due to the number of other very competitive events going on in the province or because nationals are a short drive away vs flying out to the west coast? ( less incentive to make team ontario)"

Brandon, Manitoba is a short drive? You must live in Kenora or thereabouts:)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #8 

Thanks El Hefe for the link to Legion. Have not been there for a long time when my athlete went to Charlottetown and to Langley.
    IMO hoping the Brandon meet will be successful to put the city on the Canada map and to justify the expensive renovations. Just like McLeod Park and PEI had to invest years ago.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

Can someone please clarify the specific ages/date of birth for each age group for legion meets? Some of the district meets offer events for tyke/atom/bantam athletes as well, even though they cannot qualify.
    Thanks!

Quote comment
  • el-hefe User since:
    Oct 16th, 2016
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #10 

El Hefe said 1 week ago

U16 and U18 I've seen 13 yr olds compete as long as they can meet the minimum required time, distance or height. I believe 12 yr olds have competed but could be mistaken.

All the infor you need is here http://www.legion.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2017-Tech-Manual_Eng_May18.pdf

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #11 

Fishy said 1 week ago

My child won 3 races at the Legion meet but was not invited to the provincial championships in Windsor. I find that odd as we were told top 3 are "considered".

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #12 

Quoting: Fishy
    "My child won 3 races at the Legion meet but was not invited to the provincial championships in Windsor. I find that odd as we were told top 3 are "considered"."

Time standard met in all three wins? Which 3 events?

Quote comment
  • jumpsguy User since:
    Jan 31st, 2017
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #13 

jumpsguy said 1 week ago

"My child won 3 races at the Legion meet but was not invited to the provincial championships in Windsor. I find that odd as we were told top 3 are "considered"."

Top 3 ARE considered, but, the Legion does consider performances VS last years Provincials/Nationals. I have seen many instances where 1st place person does not get selected because the distance/time would not meet criteria to compete at Provincial meet. What were the events and what were the times/distances ?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #14 

Fishy said 1 week ago

top 5 at OFSAA but not good enough for an invite to compete at provincials? NOT nationals but JUST provincial? Still stinky if you ask me. Possibly has the wrong singlet?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #15 

"top 5 at OFSAA but not good enough for an invite to compete at provincials? NOT nationals but JUST provincial? Still stinky if you ask me. Possibly has the wrong singlet?"

What are the qualification procedures that you are referring to?

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #16 

"top 5 at OFSAA but not good enough for an invite to compete at provincials? NOT nationals but JUST provincial? Still stinky if you ask me. Possibly has the wrong singlet?"

I would contact District organizers and find out why the athlete was not selected. Could have been an "oversight". I've dealt with Legion for years, and, occasionally they miss someone who should be on team. You have to keep in mind they are Legion "volunteers", and not necessarily track and field people.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1