Anonymous said 2 years ago

OFSAA Track Qualification System Needs to Be Changed

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #26 

Anonymous said 1 year ago

Quoting: Dave Weedle
    "I agree. Athletes can have great outdoor seasons without taking part in the o-show. Take Andrew Southard for example, his region was on strike last year but he still ended up running a 1:52 800m just off of twilight meets"

Need to go on strike permanently!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #27 

It's Fair said 1 year ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "How fair is it? Can't be worse than having only one team represent the association in team sports! Only one team goes to OFSAA, do you hear the others crying over it?"

Actually, in most sports, if your association won a medal (top 3) the previous year, you get a second entry. Also since there is A, AA and AAA for most sports, most associations send three teams, but your point is taken.

Ottawa got a rare 3 teams in Women's Volleyball a few years back (medal entry + host entry + NC Champs). Ottawa teams placed 1st, 3rd and 4th, showing that if only one team from an association qualifies, OFSAA medalist teams could be being left back at home. At least in Track, you get 4.

No matter where you draw the line, good athletes are going to miss out. It's called sport. Gotta laugh at the comment suggesting the GTA could have 7 athletes make a final! LOL. Name the event.

Quote comment
  • shedboy99 User since:
    Dec 6th, 2015
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #28 

shedboy99 said 1 year ago

Based on the last few years of the way our ontario education system throws highschool athletics aside as a bargaining tool, the lack of proper facilities and the lack of sports funding due to rising teacher costs, i predict there will be no such thing as ofsaa within 10 years.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #29 

"For anyone who doesn't think there should be a change to the OFSAA qualification system, just think about what the OFSAA West 3k will entail this year. We got Mohammed Sirage, Andrew Shepard, Kyle Madden, Mitchell Ubene, Miles Matthews, Adam Tait, Noah Dufreyne, Michael Coccia, Stevan Nadjiwan, and many more as well. Most of these athletes could compete at the front for OFSAA, but only 4 will make it. How is that fair? Something needs to be done to make sure OFSAA really does represent the best athletes in the province."

if you can't make it out of this region why should you be able to go?? If you are 5th here I guaruntee you will not be anywhere in the hunt for medals so why would you get the chance to go over some kid from the north for example who won his regional meet?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #30 

"if you can't make it out of this region why should you be able to go?? If you are 5th here I guaruntee you will not be anywhere in the hunt for medals so why would you get the chance to go over some kid from the north for example who won his regional meet?"

But in this case all those runners could potentially be in the hunt based of their pb's. I wouldn't exclude the guy who won from the North. There is always going to be people who should be competing that aren't allowed to because of dumb reasoning. It is something that is hard to change without having everyone complain.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #31 

Fair enough, the points well made re:strength of certain areas, events and age groups. However, the system, while not perfect- works. Performances and strength of areas/age groups/events can and has been cyclical. There will never be consensus as to the perfect system, but the current one works best. for the individual who says OFSAA won't exist in 10 years- having worked in it for 31 years, we have seen a LOT of changes and the one consistent aspect is the commitment of teacher-coaches to kids. With so many hurdles being thrown in the way, it is a testament that it has thrived this long!!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #32 

"if you can't make it out of this region why should you be able to go?? If you are 5th here I guaruntee you will not be anywhere in the hunt for medals so why would you get the chance to go over some kid from the north for example who won his regional meet?"

Sirage -6x OFSAA medalist, Shepard -3rd at OFSAA XC, Madden -World youth athlete, Coccia -national youth medalist, Ubene -National XC Athlete, who knows with Matthews but he has one of the best pb's out of the group. ALL of these athletes would 100% be in the hunt for a medal in the OFSAA 3k, you are absolutely wrong to say they wouldn't be. If all of these athletes stay injury free, you will be missing at least 2 of the top 3k runners in the province at OFSAA.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #33 

Noah Regnier said 1 month ago

As a junior bronze medalist and now 11th grader , I feel like if the qualification was any easier Ofsaa wouldn't be as "luxurious" regarding the high level of competition , if I don't make it this year of course I will be disappointed but I'm not gonna rage about it , it teaches us that to achieve glory we need to put in the effort and in track you reap what you sow , making it to Ofsaa is pretty hard nowadays especially since all these 13th grader babies victory lapping making the EOSSAA 400m tmr faster than the 400m final I was in last year ... the name is Noah Regnier btw , just wanted to put in the input on everyone arguing over a pointless topic , the second Ofsaa changes it will lose most of its glory

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #34 

Anonymous said 2 weeks ago

Quoting: Coach D
    "OFSAA is an organization for school athletics. It is not a forum for elite athletes only. The motto is EDUCATION through school sport - the idea is not just to develop the athlete but to continue to educate the student through participation in activities beyond the classroom. The structure of OFSAA Track allows athletes from all over Ontario to come together for three days in June to compete, make friends, and experience the excitement of representing their school. It allows all athletes a chance, not just those who can afford to join a club. If you are interested in just the stats you can go to AO's."

End of argument....well said.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #35 

Bruce Burton said 2 weeks ago

For those of you who weren't around before regionalization, we had to WIN our Association (mine was SOSSA) in order to qualify for OFSSA. Same scenario - potential medalists were back in class during the Championships.

That was eventually changed to the winners plus those who achieved a pre-set standard in an event, to a maximum of three per Association. That change was instituted to accommodate Toronto sprinters, who were producing as many as the top five 100m times in Ontario.

But try to remember that OFSSA is only PART of the journey - there is no National High School Championships like South of the border. That is left to the Club athletes, and their year-'round coaches.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #36 

As it should be.

If you think you are such a badazz then show up in Ottawa at the real one and only Canadian championships and prove it!

Otherwise head back up to École Secondaire Cochrane where you are the fastest kid in town :)

Quoting: Bruce Burton
    "For those of you who weren't around before regionalization, we had to WIN our Association (mine was SOSSA) in order to qualify for OFSSA. Same scenario - potential medalists were back in class during the Championships.

That was eventually changed to the winners plus those who achieved a pre-set standard in an event, to a maximum of three per Association. That change was instituted to accommodate Toronto sprinters, who were producing as many as the top five 100m times in Ontario.

But try to remember that OFSSA is only PART of the journey - there is no National High School Championships like South of the border. That is left to the Club athletes, and their year-'round coaches."

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #37 

Go with Regional top 3 or 4 and add in top 5r non-qualifiers based on time. Is it really that hard?

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1