LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Dec 13th, 2013
thumbs_up 1
Report  ORIGINAL

Distance Stud said 4 months ago

Ryan Hall vs Galen Rupp

After watching Rupp run in the Boston Marathon I can't help but wish we could see a prime Hall vs Rupp. Rupp is a great marathoner and his been consistent as hell with 3 straight top 3 finishes. Hall on the other hand was an absolute BEAST...Look at his 2007credentials:
-The guy set the American Half marathon record at the bright age of 24 in January
-In April the guy debuts with a 2:08:24 marathon in London
-Guy absolutely blows away the USA field at the olympic marathon trials in November rolling threw 4:30 miles and cruising threw a 14 something 5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixxCX_T0wvE

That 2007 olympic trials was impressive as hell...the guy just cruised like a tempo and demolished the field
Rupp has impressive range with a 3:50 mile, 12:585k, 26:44 10k, but the guy just doesn't seem to have the smooth fluid stride that prime Ryan Hall had. Ryan Hall ran similar to Chris Solinsky accept he looked so much more fluid and comfortable, the guy just seemed to "float." It's a damn shame that Ryan Hall phased out a bit early and we could never see him win a major marathon or medal at Olympic games.
Who do you guys think was more talented as a runner; Ryan Hall or Galen Rupp??
Will Rupp ever run the times Hall has?

Quote comment
  • alberto-charizard User since:
    Nov 12th, 2013
    thumbs_up 10
    Report    REPLY #1 

Alberto Charizard said 4 months ago

"Rupp is a plug." (Distance Stud, 2016)

This post was edited by Alberto Charizard 4 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #2 

Anonymous said 4 months ago

I am confused you haven't mentioned any high school times yet... do neither of these guys have any talent

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #3 

Andrew Hogg said 4 months ago

This is a difficult comparison, since what defines "talent" is unclear. Is talent genetic potential? Revealed by good coaching? A function of discipline?

As you say, we probably didn't see Hall reach his full potential in the marathon. At the time, the half marathon record he ran was the fastest by a non-African. In spite of running 26:44 for 10000m on the track, Rupp is still only knocking on the door trying to break this record. Hall certainly did his part to inspire Americans to compete with the best in the world, regardless of race or where they were born. Rupp has the ability to set the AR half marathon record, but I worry about how he will achieve this.

I wasn't a big Hall fan, but had to recant some of my views when he retired. Hall said many of his troubles were due to 1) a recurring plantar fasciitis injury and 2) low testosterone. He felt going the TUE route to resolve his testosterone level was unethical. And I have to say, in the day and age of TUEs, I gained a lot of respect for him.

Hall did his best running coached by Terrence Mahon. In hindsight, I wonder if he regrets splitting from him?
    https://marathon.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/hall-splits-with-coach-and-with-leave-mammoth/?_r=0

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

Andrew Jones said 4 months ago

Who do you guys think was more talented as a runner; Ryan Hall or Galen Rupp??

To me, the only way you can really approach a question like this is to make the declaration that talent, over the course of a career, will manifest itself in achievements -- and for a runner that means medals and titles.

One can talk about native speed, form, dominance at certain races, PBs, etc., but I'm sure if you talk to distance runners after they're done competing they will talk about accomplishments.

Now, when comparing these two runners from that POV there is no conversation to be had.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #5 

Andrew Hogg said 4 months ago

Hall has also been said to run fearlessly. Many times, and in spite of criticisms, he went for it. In terms of accomplishments he missed out. His focus seemed to be largely on getting it right for the marathon. His approach seemed to be to race when he was healthy, rather than target specific world championship events. (One of my coaches used to refer to athletes who chased accolades, at whatever price, as "g*damn trophy hunters!)

Quote comment
  • distance-stud User since:
    Dec 13th, 2013
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #6 

Distance Stud said 4 months ago

Quoting: Alberto Charizard
    ""Rupp is a plug." (Distance Stud, 2016)"

Alberto this isn't a mock distance stud thread you know. Yeah I said Rupp was a plug get over it bud....Do I respect him...heck yeah the guy is a phenomenal runner who has done great things for American distance running. I'm just not a fan of his "white coller" personality. To go back to the discussion about who had better talent hall or Rupp I've got to say Hall was the the better runner. He just had a natural smooth strode that no other American can match at the present age.

Hall had the better potential as a distance runner in my opinion. If Hall wanted to in his prime he could have ran under 26:44 for 10k. Rupp won't TOUCH the times Hall has ran on the road either. It's a damn shame Hall phased out early and we couldn't see his true potential. If the guy managed to stay healthy and stayed with his coach I bet he could have ran multiple 2:05s/2:04s for the marathon. I also think he could have the American record for 10000m not Rupp.

This post was edited by Distance Stud 4 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #7 

Andrew Jones said 3 months ago

Quoting: Andrew Hogg
    "Hall has also been said to run fearlessly. Many times, and in spite of criticisms, he went for it. In terms of accomplishments he missed out. His focus seemed to be largely on getting it right for the marathon. His approach seemed to be to race when he was healthy, rather than target specific world championship events. (One of my coaches used to refer to athletes who chased accolades, at whatever price, as "g*damn trophy hunters!)"

It's a good point that fearless, aggressive, "honest" running is to be admired. Ron Clarke was the champ in this regard. No championship gold medals, but he made many a race, and was a record-breaking machine.

Now, does that attribute makes the runner more talented than the runner with superior palmarès -- in this case I don't think so as Rupp has (far, far) superior times up to the HM. And he's nowhere near done at the HM and Marathon, having run just a few of both.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #8 

Andrew Hogg said 3 months ago

Quoting: Andrew Jones
    "It's a good point that fearless, aggressive, "honest" running is to be admired. Ron Clarke was the champ in this regard. No championship gold medals, but he made many a race, and was a record-breaking machine.

Now, does that attribute makes the runner more talented than the runner with superior palmarès -- in this case I don't think so as Rupp has (far, far) superior times up to the HM. And he's nowhere near done at the HM and Marathon, having run just a few of both."

It's difficult to answer the question of GOAT - between 2 runners in this case. As you say, there are so many different factors to consider.

Hall and Rupp have run their best in different periods. The US distance running scene has changed a lot since 10 years ago.

There should be more than a comparison of times when considering GOAT, imho. Remember Hall paced Mutai to a wind-aided "world best" time on a net downhill Boston course in 2011. But, more indicative of the performance than time (imho), was the calibre of the field:
    1. Geoffrey Mutai (went on to win the 2011 NYC Marathon in a course record 2:05:05)
    2. Mosos Mosop (went on to win the 2011 Chicago Marathon)
    3. Gebregziabher Gebremariam (had won the '10 NYC Marathon)
    4. Ryan Hall

In contrast this year's Boston winner was a 24 year old (relatively unknown) Kenyan who didn't know who Galen Rupp was.

This is just an example of how a course like Boston (where time doesn't matter as much as the win) can define GOAT.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #9 

Andrew Hogg said 3 months ago

Also, I'll try really hard not to go on about the whole TUE thing here... I'm trying to be more "positive" in turning over a new leaf.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #10 

Anonymous said 3 months ago

They both are very good runners and it's hard to pick one of the other. To put things in context though there are 40 or more Kenyans and Ethiopians who are faster than these two.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1