Report  ORIGINAL

Whattheheck said 2 months ago

USports Men's 3000m

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #51 

Anonymous said 2 months ago

How did DST let his guy do that? He's an in your face coach talks to his guys every lap!
    Black should blame his coach

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 18
    Report    REPLY #52 

If you dont feel bad at all for Sheffar in this situation you are a seriously bitter and disillusioned person. Horrible outcome. Connor and Jack probably thought about kicking for the win in the CIS 3k during training for years, the moment comes and its ruined by lap counters. What a joke.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 16
    Report    REPLY #53 

Kinrunner said 2 months ago

Hey ,

speaking about the coaches should have known- if you notice where we all stand during the 3k we can't cant see the lap counter
    Guy from western did run over after the bell was rung but it was too late the damage had been done.

ALSO fans in the stand were yelling at the time and lap counters- eventually got their attention @ 3 laps to go but nothing was done!

No matter what your opinion is about the athletes being at fault or not , they deserve better at our national championship!

Quote comment
  • saskwatch User since:
    Nov 11th, 2015
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #54 

SaskWatch said 2 months ago

Conspiracy theory: Royden pays lap counter for mishap... Sabatoge....

Quote comment
  • petesakes User since:
    Apr 21st, 2014
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #55 

petesakes said 2 months ago

Don't blame the athletes in this case, blame the MEET DIRECTOR! I've competed, coached and officiated at championship meets, and I've always felt LEAST PREPARED as an official! The meet directors almost never asked me if I had ever done any officiating before, or whether I fully understood the task I was assigned. Sometimes, only after I had already made some mistakes, did someone come over to point out what I should have done differently. Often times, NO ONE said anything to me! I wonder if some poor athletes felt cheated by something I accidentally did or did not do properly. Meet directors or event coordinators never checked to see if I knew the official rules which pertained to the event I was officiating. I ended up having to make decisions regarding which athlete successfully completed throws, jumps and courses, without fully understanding the event in some cases. A few times, my decision determined who was/was not going to be crowned Senior National Champion! Some athletes argued with me when I raised a red flag indicating a foul, and they were past Olympians, while I was a teenager, having never done the event myself! Maybe I was right, or maybe I was wrong, but I should not have been in the position of having to make those decisions without proper training and knowledge.

I too, was asked to do lap counting/bell duty at an indoor invitational 3000m event, with athletes who were flown in from around North America. I knew officials had screwed this up before, so I asked another friend to come over and stand beside me to double/triple check my math. Although it should be easy to count down laps, when you are watching the race listening to an announcer, it's possible to lose count or simply second-guess yourself. We didn't screw up the laps but it was stressful since these guys were racing for prize money and the stands were full, and everyone depended on us to get the laps/bell right.

I agree that we need MORE Officials, and we need to TRAIN them PRIOR to the meet, and not just hand them lap cards, wind gauges, starter pistols and flags and hope for the best.

Quote comment
  • ir User since:
    Mar 2nd, 2015
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #56 

IR said 2 months ago

Quoting: petesakes
    "A few times, my decision determined who was/was not going to be crowned Senior National Champion! Some athletes argued with me when I raised a red flag indicating a foul, and they were past Olympians, while I was a teenager, having never done the event myself! "

That seems a little weird, unless it was a couple decades ago.

While non-provincial or national championship meets can use pretty well whoever they want for officiating purposes, championship meets specifically organized by the branch (province) or AC (national) are to use registered officials.

There are five levels of officials (1 through 5) with levels 4 and 5 being national-level.

To progress through the grades, officials require various evaluations, mentorings (formal and informal) and tests. For levels 4 and 5, evaluations would take place at a National level meet.

National championships would only be using a level 4 or 5 official in any event chief capacity and there would be an event referee with additional experience should you have incorrectly raised your red flag indicating a foul. (And because of the existence of the referee, there would be no cause for an athlete to be directly arguing with you as a teenager. Past Olympians in particular would be expected to know that they should direct such complaints to the person who can actual rule on them - the referee.)

So it seems a little strange that you were in sole-position to determine who was to be crowned Senior National Champion without having had to demonstrate any particular capabilities or knowledge as an official, but maybe that was in a previous era with more hazy protocols.

For the USport champs, their playing regulations say that "it is essential that Athletics
    Canada certified officials be used at the championship, particularly in key positions such as; starter, head timer, head finish judge, head for each field event, track umpires, referee". Host institution would still be required for recruiting and assigning officials to these roles, so the number of qualified officials they have to work with may vary depending on the host site.

Quote comment
  • distance-stud User since:
    Dec 13th, 2013
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #57 

Distance Stud said 2 months ago

Shout out to Angus Rawling. The guy may not have won, but he made a bold assertive hard move out front with 1k-800 left. Very similar to my boy Chris MF Solinsky in the 2010 showdown when he dusted Rupp. Wouldn't it be something if Solinsky made a comeback and destroyed Rupp in the marathon?

This post was edited by Distance Stud 2 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • jarry User since:
    Oct 6th, 2016
    thumbs_up 16
    Report    REPLY #58 

Jarry said 2 months ago

For those wondering what they told us at the end of the day, they said they were very sorry and that they would see what they can do, but that what currently stands is that whoever completed 3000m gets the position they finished in at 3000m and whoever didn't complete 3000m is a DNF.
    Really sucks for Sheffar and Black, but I have to agree with that stance. No matter what mistakes on the officials' part happen, it's a 3000m race, not a 2800m race. And you have to give credit to Felix-Antoine Lapointe who has such great communication and trust with his athletes and is always there on the side of the track to give them feedback. You need to have a high level of trust in your coach to let the two other runners ahead when the announcer says one lap to go and the bell rings. In the end, Laval didn't leave anything to chance and that served them well.
    Black got back in the race when he was told there was a mistake and pushed through to at least scavenge a fourth place finish. Sheffar couldn't because he was too crushed mentally or/and physically so in the end he gets nothing and has to pay the price for the officials' mistake, but there's nothing we can do about it. He ran 2800m, not 3000m.
    PS: I'm definitely not a Laval fanboy; I don't like to see them win since they're my rivals, but you have to give credit where it is due.

This post was edited by Jarry 2 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • dad-bod-jogger User since:
    Nov 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 20
    Report    REPLY #59 

Dad Bod Jogger said 2 months ago

Saw in reply to Chuck PT's tweet regarding this race that a UofA guy yelled at the lap counter that they were wrong, the lap counter looked at them, then changed the laps anyways. Also for the ignorant people blaming the runners - a similar thing happened to - I believe - Lopez Lomong and David Torrence in an outdoor 5000, Lopez ran 4600m in like 12:10 and thought he had crushed the WR until he realized everyone was yelling at him to keep running. Believe it or not - sometimes when you're 3/4 of the way through a race you can be too tired to notice the clock! Do not insult Jack or Connor for what happened to them. They are two grinders who gave it all when they had to when they were told they had to. I hope the officials can count out 7.5 laps properly today ffs

Quote comment
  • petesakes User since:
    Apr 21st, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #60 

petesakes said 2 months ago

That seems a little weird, unless it was a couple decades ago.

While non-provincial or national championship meets can use pretty well whoever they want for officiating purposes, championship meets specifically organized by the branch (province) or AC (national) are to use registered officials.

Yes, it was back in the 80's. It was a very windy day, and the high jump bar was being blown off the uprights constantly. Greg Joy was jumping, and he seemed to brush the bar going over. After he landed, the bar fell off the uprights, and I had to decide if it was a foul jump, or caused by the wind. I called it a foul, and I think he ended up third at the Nationals that year. Milt Ottey won. At another trials race, I was accidentally left to be the lead vehicle (bike) for the men's marathon, despite the fact that I wasn't even sure of the course! Good thing Art Boileau knew where he was going! It sounds like officiating has taken several steps forward since then.

This post was edited by petesakes 2 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #61 

Quoting: Dad Bod Jogger
    "Saw in reply to Chuck PT's tweet regarding this race that a UofA guy yelled at the lap counter that they were wrong, the lap counter looked at them, then changed the laps anyways. Also for the ignorant people blaming the runners - a similar thing happened to - I believe - Lopez Lomong and David Torrence in an outdoor 5000, Lopez ran 4600m in like 12:10 and thought he had crushed the WR until he realized everyone was yelling at him to keep running. Believe it or not - sometimes when you're 3/4 of the way through a race you can be too tired to notice the clock! Do not insult Jack or Connor for what happened to them. They are two grinders who gave it all when they had to when they were told they had to. I hope the officials can count out 7.5 laps properly today ffs"

Hah, I remember just watching that 5000 where Lopez and Torrence thought they were finishing

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #62 

Rook said 2 months ago

I don't know about you guys but when I hear the bell ringing and the guy beside me starts moving I'm going with him, it's a heat of the moment thing. Also, how are they to know if the lap counter is off or if it was the clock that was off, clock issues happen more frequently than lap counting screw ups. I'm not sure there is an adequate solution here, giving medals to Jack and Connor would be unfair to those who finished 2nd and 3rd after 3k, but again it is wrong that Jack and Connor get nothing. Either way someone is getting screwed.

Quote comment
  • mattnorminton User since:
    Jan 13th, 2013
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #63 

mattnorminton said 2 months ago

Quoting: Rook
    "I don't know about you guys but when I hear the bell ringing and the guy beside me starts moving I'm going with him, it's a heat of the moment thing. Also, how are they to know if the lap counter is off or if it was the clock that was off, clock issues happen more frequently than lap counting screw ups. I'm not sure there is an adequate solution here, giving medals to Jack and Connor would be unfair to those who finished 2nd and 3rd after 3k, but again it is wrong that Jack and Connor get nothing. Either way someone is getting screwed."

Yes, sadly it's Jack and Connor that get screwed here but this is the nature of sport. Officials make mistakes that can unfortunately impact the outcome of a sport. Happens all the time unfortunately and whilst the mistake is frustrating, the end result should stand as they got it. Officials are only human and are therefore prone to mistakes. It sucks but that's sport sometimes.

Quote comment
  • sandbagger User since:
    Mar 13th, 2017
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #64 

sandbagger said 2 months ago

if they would have held back in the pack this wouldnt have happened..

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #65 

Andrew Jones said 2 months ago

Officials are only human and are therefore prone to mistakes. It sucks but that's sport sometimes.

And further to Matt's point, if you want to remove the human element, you have to discover what you're left with -- is it an improvement for the game/sport, or has it become an even bigger problem?

For me, an example of a success story in taking out the human/putting in the "inhuman" is tennis, where a disputed line call is now moment of drama for spectators and viewers, with an attractive (and accurate) piece of video technology creating a moment of "mini-drama" when the review happens.

Could technology be created to assist the administration of many runners on a crowded track running many times around said track? Possibly, with each runner's bib installed with a "smart-chip" that triggers an alert for the runner and/or officials that their bell lap is approaching. Again though, what is the "cost" (see various definitions of "cost") of introducing such a thing?

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #66 

Obvious said 2 months ago

Quoting: Andrew Jones
    "Could technology be created to assist the administration of many runners on a crowded track running many times around said track? Possibly, with each runner's bib installed with a "smart-chip" that triggers an alert for the runner and/or officials that their bell lap is approaching. Again though, what is the "cost" (see various definitions of "cost") of introducing such a thing?"

They do use something along those lines at WCs/Olympics.

You'd need a chip on the athletes/bibs and an antenna of some sort at the finish.

Probably not within current budgets though (presuming you aren't going to be laying down a mat on the track like you have at road race finishes).

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #67 

asdaf said 2 months ago

Interview with Connor Black posted today:

http://runningmagazine.ca/guelphs-connor-black-on-the-u-sports-3000m-confusion/

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1