LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Mar 17th, 2014
thumbs_up 3
Report  ORIGINAL

Lobster said 1 month ago

What aggravates me.

Late posting of meet results, and on AC's rankings.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #1 

Lobster said 1 month ago

Let's start off with : Where are the results of the NCAA div. 1, 2, & 3? How about the U Sports Champs ?
    Do they somehow not qualify for AC's lists ? They are already posted on the IAAF's lists.
    Am I just being picky ?
    If the statistician is on vacation in Mexico, I would understand.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #2 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

John, you are picky. But I am glad you are. I used to get on "Rankings" statistician(s) right away. Now I wait at least a couple of days. Andrew @ AC does a good (if not great) job, he even confirms by email that my submissions are up on the list.I have issues with lack of recent news, not about Tom Brady's jersey being found, but perhaps Evan Dunfees recent achievement. I was the Anonymous that reported his new shoe contract with NB. This site could not be bothered and other commenters on this site stood silently on the side. I do not know Evan personally; just know his name and his photo - never met the man in my life. You are correct that IAAF has athletes listed/ranked before we see it on Canadian news. At times MileSplit reports Canadian athletes results from both sides of the border before we hear about it. Am intentionally not mentioning names of Canadian organizations who are not doing their job, because they will simply kick me off and/or delete my posts.
    Thanks again John for raising this issue.

Quote comment
  • el-hefe User since:
    Oct 16th, 2016
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #3 

El Hefe said 1 month ago

What infuriates me are the unnecessary delays between heats and events at meets. I recently attended a few meets in the US and they were blasting through heats and races at an unbelievable pace.

Quote comment
  • buddster User since:
    Nov 1st, 2016
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

Buddster said 1 month ago

Any idea what they are doing differently? Is their timing software connected to their reporting software?

Quote comment
  • mattnorminton User since:
    Jan 13th, 2013
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #5 

mattnorminton said 1 month ago

Quoting: Lobster "Let's start off with : Where are the results of the NCAA div. 1, 2, & 3? How about the U Sports Champs ?
    Do they somehow not qualify for AC's lists ? "

I am no expert but I believe that in order to be on the AC rankings, you need to be a member of your local branch.

Quote comment
  • bestcoach User since:
    Oct 20th, 2014
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #6 

BestCoach said 1 month ago

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #7 

Lobster said 1 month ago

mattnorninton-
    Matt I believe that you are right. However, almost all these athletes are members of local branches, so that likely doesn't apply.
    El Hefe-I'm in agreement with you, as well, on sticking to schedules, etc.
    Maybe I'm just having a bad day !

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #8 

Lobster said 1 month ago

As a matter of fact, all these athletes in the NCAA & U Sports meets are already in the AC rankings, to answer to Matt's valid point.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #9 

I know of at least 2 Canadians in NCAA who did not renew their membership for 2017. I've notified them but their results from this year are not up. I cannot do more than that; I know that one of them could be #1 in their event in Rankings. Last year a different athlete was able to get his membership renewed in time to count his results. If you know of any Canadian athletes not being listed on AC Rankings
    you could do them that favour.

Quote comment
    Jan 13th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

Quoting: Lobster "As a matter of fact, all these athletes in the NCAA & U Sports meets are already in the AC rankings, to answer to Matt's valid point."

Seems like they just need to get that updated then!!! I do know (from doing some rankings) that working some result types can be tough. PDF files suck for trying to put the results into a usable format! Come to think of it, PDF files in general aggravate me...

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #11 

Andrew Jones said 1 month ago

Come to think of it, PDF files in general aggravate me...

Matt, PDF files don't aggravate me...if they are used correctly. For published documents (thus not intended for repurpose) they work great, and these days when submitting documents to conferences, RFPs, etc., it is the PDF that is expected of a professional company/organization.

As well, PDF is a universal standard, and is pretty much everywhere these days - EG for Mac and Windows it is natively supported.

Adobe Reader (free download) even gives you the capability of viewing a multi-layered PDF document, which for maps, plushly presented reports, etc. is really useful.

And if you want to have more control and edit PDFs, you can always buy Adobe Professional software to do that.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #12 

Andrew was on vacation. He's a human, he's allowed vacation, and no, it is not a big deal that he takes them during the university season. If you emailed him last week you would have known that from an autoresponse, but instead, you take to complaining on a message board. Good job.

Quote comment
  • el-hefe User since:
    Oct 16th, 2016
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #13 

El Hefe said 1 month ago

Quoting: Buddster
    "Any idea what they are doing differently? Is their timing software connected to their reporting software?"

I can not comment on their software connectivity between the timing and reporting software (computers are the death of me) but looking at the result printouts they are in same format as here in Canada so they are using the same reporting programs.

The timers were ready for the next race in under 60 seconds so they must be doing something differently.

The athletes are marshaled in the same manner but at the start line they are given significantly less time to "fiddle" and make multiple warm up sprints.

Paper copies of the results were also posted within minutes not the horror show we have in BC where it takes 20-30 minutes then awards can't be picked up for another 30 minutes to allow for appeals.

Quote comment
  • bear-scout User since:
    Nov 4th, 2016
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #14 

Bear Scout said 1 month ago

Quoting: El Hefe
    "The timers were ready for the next race in under 60 seconds so they must be doing something differently.

The athletes are marshaled in the same manner but at the start line they are given significantly less time to "fiddle" and make multiple warm up sprints."

I'll add some info based on my NCAA experience: They'll gather all the athletes for a particular heat just as the heat previous to them has started, then (if the race start is not at the finish line) they'll get them lined up and organized as the last-place runner passes them for the last time, so it takes about 30-60 seconds from the end of one heat to the beginning of the next one (assuming they clear athletes from the finishing line as soon as they cross like they should).
    For NCAA Regionals and Nationals, they MAKE people check into the marshaling tent and stay there 30 minutes before their race, regardless of what heat they're in, and spend a good 5-10 minutes making sure every heat is in order before they even step on the track. And there are probably half a dozen marshals that would handle this stuff, especially at Nats

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #15 

I volunteer as an official and what aggravates me are rude athletes and parents who are disrespectful towards all meet volunteers. How many athletes would spend their entire weekends in the broiling sun for nothing more than a free lunch?

Here's a tip for all athletes, parents and coaches......after your event thank the volunteers who worked your event and again at the end of the meet.

Without the officials you would not have a meet or race.

Quote comment
    Jan 13th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #16 

Quoting: Andrew Jones
    "Come to think of it, PDF files in general aggravate me... Matt, PDF files don't aggravate me...if they are used correctly. For published documents (thus not intended for repurpose) they work great, and these days when submitting documents to conferences, RFPs, etc., it is the PDF that is expected of a professional company/organization.

As well, PDF is a universal standard, and is pretty much everywhere these days - EG for Mac and Windows it is natively supported.

Adobe Reader (free download) even gives you the capability of viewing a multi-layered PDF document, which for maps, plushly presented reports, etc. is really useful.

And if you want to have more control and edit PDFs, you can always buy Adobe Professional software to do that."

I get all that but stand by my original assertion: PDF's suck. If everyone just used MS excel, the world would be a better place!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #17 

I get all that but stand by my original assertion: PDF's suck. If everyone just used MS excel, the world would be a better place!

Aha! One of those Excel-loving guys :). I've met a few in my time and no quibbles... Excel is a great application, indeed, but I still see the two as different animals used for different purposes.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #18 

To the point about track meets being run more efficiently. In my experience, this flaw is a huge part of why Athletics/T&F has been marginalized over the years -- and this applies to both participation and viewership/spectatorship (and these are related, of course).

Just as CHL hockey tightened up its product some years ago by dropping the faceoff puck quickly and getting game times down to 2:00 hours, so should track meets endeavour to run an "always on" product, with little "dead air" to use TV/radio parlance. The CHL players, BTW, didn't like the puck dropping with them unready, but they soon caught on and a new attitude was the result.

We've talked ad nauseaum on this board about scaling down the number of Athletics events in general, but these all-day track meets with "schedules" that go over by not minutes, but hours, have to stop. If I'm a parent, I know what time the hockey game starts and finishes, but with track, I'll likely be waiting around if I get there at the published time.

We can continue to say, "But track is different to sports like hockey." and carry on regardless, or we can realize that this sport needs to tighten up -- if it is to remain even somewhat viable.

Again, not placing blame on the people that give their time to run the meets, but from an administrative POV, let's put similar performers together (regardless of age and gender) to create less sectioning, let's use technology better, and let's be tougher on those athletes that think the world revolves around them (miss the check-in? you're out!; late for the race start?..tough we're going without you!).

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1