LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 1
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 2 months ago

What universities to consider?

I am entering grade 11 in September and would like to run track and XC at a Canadian school.

First question is it true Canadian universities do not have outdoor seasons unless they are in NAIA or NCAA?

Academically I am a B average in core courses. I have no idea what to study so looking at Liberal Arts to start.

I run middle distance 800 to 3000 plus XC. Decent times that place me in the top 5 provincially in every distance in high school and provincial athletics races.

Question I have would universities be interested in me and would It be reasonable to expect some sort of tuition assistance from the athletics department?

Thanks
Amy

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #1 

If you're placing top 5 provincially at the high school level, there is no doubt that you'd make a great addition to any Canadian University distance program.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #2 

Keep working on your grades so that you have the maximal number of options of universities and programs!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 15
    Report    REPLY #3 

N/A said 2 months ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "If you're placing top 5 provincially at the high school level, there is no doubt that you'd make a great addition to any Canadian University distance program."

*** Only if Ontario or BC provincials ***

Quote comment
  • bestcoach User since:
    Oct 20th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

BestCoach said 2 months ago

Stay in highschool 1 more year and get those B's into A's because you have no idea what to study, not because B's are bad.

Academically I am a B average in core courses. I have no idea what to study so looking at Liberal Arts to start.

This post was edited by BestCoach 2 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #5 

Quoting: BestCoach
    "Stay in highschool 1 more year and get those B's into A's because you have no idea what to study, not because B's are bad.

Academically I am a B average in core courses. I have no idea what to study so looking at Liberal Arts to start. "

You have no idea if she can simply "stay in high school 1 more year". You make that sound like a right she has. For starters it probably varies from province to province. In Ontario she could return for 1 semester - so 4 courses. Ontario's education budget is spent putting 3 year olds in school full time. But once you are 18 you are booted out the front door.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #6 

Thank you for the replies

Quote comment
  • bestcoach User since:
    Oct 20th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #7 

BestCoach said 2 months ago

Stay in School 1 more semester!
    assuming you're in a semester school and not a private school.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #8 

Not the University of Washington based on CP leaving, hope Shona thrives there.

Quote comment
  • william-harris User since:
    Jul 8th, 2017
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

william harris said 2 months ago

I have a son who will be going into the 12 grade in September. He is involved with two sports, a) soccer, b) athletic. He has been doing above average. How can I go about starting to look for scholarships for him?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

US Schools will want to see his grades since grade 9.

https://web3.ncaa.org/ecwr3/

Quoting: william harris
    "I have a son who will be going into the 12 grade in September. He is involved with two sports, a) soccer, b) athletic. He has been doing above average. How can I go about starting to look for scholarships for him?"

This post was edited by a Moderator [Issues] 2 months ago . 
    Message from Moderator:
    Fixed quote tag
    If you have issues/questions please contact moderator@trackie.com.
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #11 

Quoting: william harris
    "I have a son who will be going into the 12 grade in September. He is involved with two sports, a) soccer, b) athletic. He has been doing above average. How can I go about starting to look for scholarships for him?"

I think he would first need to decide which sport he enjoys more because he will contact the coach of one or the other, but not both, at the universities he is interested in. Also do you mean above average academically or athletically or both?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #12 

Quoting: N/A
    "*** Only if Ontario or BC provincials ***"

Times and distances mean more than placings. Coaches do no care where you are from as long as you have the numbers and the right attitude.

Quote comment
  • bear-scout User since:
    Nov 4th, 2016
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #13 

Bear Scout said 2 months ago

"US Schools will want to see his grades since grade 9. "

I've never, ever heard of a U.S. school wanting grade 9 marks. They'll only want SAT/ACT scores, grade 11 marks, and pending early acceptances, grade 12 first semester marks.

"Times and distances mean more than placings. Coaches do no care where you are from as long as you have the numbers and the right attitude. "

^^^THIS^^^

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #14 

TWU FTW said 2 months ago

Give serious consideration to TWU.

Pound for pound, possibly the best developmental XC/distance program in the country when you consider:

how small the program is, how few big name recruits they get, and their performance level (CIS XC Silver) it's rather impressive.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #15 

In a face to face meeting in Toronto with ASHLEY THORNBURG ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR NCAA ELIGIBILITY CENTER

I was told "THEY'RE GOING TO LOOK AT YOUR GRADES AS FAR BACK AS GRADE 9"

Quoting: Bear Scout
    "^^^THIS^^^"

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #16 

"^^^THIS^^^"

Every school in the NCAA needs grades from 9-12 to determine if you are NCAA eligibile. Most also use grade 9-12 for cumulative gpa for admission or academic scholarships. Most Canadian schools just require good grades from 12 grade courses

Quote comment
  • bear-scout User since:
    Nov 4th, 2016
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #17 

Bear Scout said 2 months ago

Let me clarify: I have not heard of a U.S. school using grade 9 marks in their decision to accept potential students. They'll ask for it because it is policy (the whole NCAA eligibility thing, although it's almost always superfluous, i.e. they're just checking to see if you failed anything). I think some schools care more about SAT/ACT & AP credits then actual high school grades since it's standardized. Some academic scholarships might require it but we're dealing with athletic scholarships here.

So when I said a school won't "want to see Grade 9 marks", I probably should have said "they're forced to see Grade 9 marks but usually don't care (if you're not a failing student)".

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #18 

CIS summer said 2 months ago

re: comments about outdoor season in the CIS

It's true, there is no official CIS outdoor track season, just XC and indoors. This is mostly because Canadian schools finish earlier in the year (classes end ~Apr 1, exams finish ~end of April, depending on school vs. about a month later on both counts for American schools).

That said, most universities have an affiliated club runs in parallel to the university team (same coach, same group, just different singlet in the summer). Some examples would be Speed River/Guelph, London Western/Western, Queen's/Physi-kult, UCAC/Calgary etc. AFAIK, in the NCAA you can't do this due to eligibility rules preventing non-students training alongside student-athletes, and many of these affiliated clubs have their post-collegiate/pro runners train alongside the university athletes year-round.

So while there are no structured championships (other than Canadian Nationals), the summer club season enables you to have an outdoor season. You don't necessarily need to join your school's affiliated club either - you could go home for the summer and go back to your home club coach and do the same thing. For some athletes the CIS model for outdoor track is advantageous as it allows more freedom in training, scheduling and racing. For example, if you're interested in doing national team stuff like FISU, Francophone Games or Worlds, it requires a bit more care from your college coach (and possibly a redshirt) to get this right from the NCAA end. Not impossible (many do it), but maybe a little less ideal.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #19 

Quoting: CIS summer
    "re: comments about outdoor season in the CIS

It's true, there is no official CIS outdoor track season, just XC and indoors. This is mostly because Canadian schools finish earlier in the year (classes end ~Apr 1, exams finish ~end of April, depending on school vs. about a month later on both counts for American schools).

That said, most universities have an affiliated club runs in parallel to the university team (same coach, same group, just different singlet in the summer). Some examples would be Speed River/Guelph, London Western/Western, Queen's/Physi-kult, UCAC/Calgary etc. AFAIK, in the NCAA you can't do this due to eligibility rules preventing non-students training alongside student-athletes, and many of these affiliated clubs have their post-collegiate/pro runners train alongside the university athletes year-round.

So while there are no structured championships (other than Canadian Nationals), the summer club season enables you to have an outdoor season. You don't necessarily need to join your school's affiliated club either - you could go home for the summer and go back to your home club coach and do the same thing. For some athletes the CIS model for outdoor track is advantageous as it allows more freedom in training, scheduling and racing. For example, if you're interested in doing national team stuff like FISU, Francophone Games or Worlds, it requires a bit more care from your college coach (and possibly a redshirt) to get this right from the NCAA end. Not impossible (many do it), but maybe a little less ideal."

Thank you for an informative answer.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #20 

"Let me clarify: I have not heard of a U.S. school using grade 9 marks in their decision to accept potential students. They'll ask for it because it is policy (the whole NCAA eligibility thing, although it's almost always superfluous, i.e. they're just checking to see if you failed anything). I think some schools care more about SAT/ACT & AP credits then actual high school grades since it's standardized. Some academic scholarships might require it but we're dealing with athletic scholarships here.

So when I said a school won't "want to see Grade 9 marks", I probably should have said "they're forced to see Grade 9 marks but usually don't care (if you're not a failing student)"."

One of the issues you see with Canadians going to the NCAA is some of them don't get serious abut school until their last couple years when they see themselves going to college and realize their grades matter. I wouldn't want Canadians thinking that grade 9 doesn't matter because some of these athletes have done so much damage in the first two years that they can't recover.

In the NCAA eligibility system, a grade 9 mark in a core course counts equal to a grade 12 grade. You need 4 years of English for instance, if you have grade 9 - D, 10 - D, 11-C, 12-A you will only have a 2.0 GPA and you aren't eligible if you are below a 2.3. In the Canadian university system they pick 5 or 6 course to count your gpa and only look at grade 12. That same student example would effectively have a 4.0 gpa. Also schools use the grade 9 marks to determine admission in the same way to calculate cumulative GPA. For both the NCAA eligibility and admissions with cumulative gpa, grade 9 marks count just as much as grade 12 marks for admissions.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #21 

Runfastrunfar said 2 months ago

Re: NCAA Grades, Performances, SAT/ACTs

Skip down to Key Points if you are not a reader.

As a former Division I NCAA athlete (school was ranked in the top 10) I can assure you that any school of any merit and repute will look at ALL of your high school grades (9-12/13), your SAT/ACTs (if applicable - some schools refuse to use it as an admission criteria due to many factors), your performance in your event, your extra curricular activities, your attitude, your recommendation from your coach, being scouted (there are scouts everywhere and many try to stay under the radar), and most importantly your character.

There is a BIG difference between USports and the NCAA, I can not speak about NAIA (smaller schools - 2,500/3,000 students; many tend to have a religious affiliation) since I never competed in this division; I have volunteered coached in the CIS (now USports).

NCAA rules state that you can be required to be at practice up to 20 hours per week!!! This does not include travel-time to and from meets, physio, etc.

Essentially, training/competing is a part-time job (that is why they give you money - scholarships). This means that unless you truly love track/XC and do not mind competing against State/National Champions/Olympians on your team or in your conference USports will be a GREAT fit. There are EXCELLENT/OUTSTANDING coaches in the Canadian University system, club level, and in the school system. Canadians who attend local universities can make the Olympics/Worlds and win medals.

USports does NOT have an outdoor season, that means you will only have 3 seasons - XC, Indoors, National Champs. In the NCAA you will have "6" seasons/training blocks that you need to peak for that conclude with a championship;

XC, Indoors, Outdoors, NCAA regionals, NCAA Championships, National Team Trials.

A good school, program, coach will "rest" you if you state that what your ultimate goal is to represent Canada in the 2019 Worlds/2020 Olympics. This is because as a distance athlete you will be running year-round, and THAT is a recipe for disaster.

Example - If you and your new NCAA coach decide to run you in the 1500m at the Can. Nat. Champs next year in order to make the 2019 Canadian Team for Worlds/2020 Olys. He/She may have you run;

2018-2019
    1) XC in the Fall
    2) ONLY run 4x4 relay and DMR in the indoors; occasionally run 1500m - Conference/NCAA Indoor Nationals.
    3) Run the entire Outdoor season 800/1500; depending on how you feel, the depth of the team, Conference strength, NCAA rankings, and Athletic Canada rankings/IAAF Worlds standards.
    4) Run NCAA Regionals (assuming you qualified)
    5) NCAA Outdoor Champs. (assuming you qualified)
    6) Canadian Nationals Champs. (assuming you qualified)
    7) IAAF Worlds (Go AMY go; Go Canada)

2019-2020
    8) NO XC for the next season
    9) Run 1500m ONLY to qualify for NCAA indoors and Conference (points)
    10) Run 1500m/DMR to qualify for NCAA Regionals/Outdoors and Conference (points)
    11) Run NCAA Regionals (assuming you qualified)
    12) NCAA Outdoor Champs. (assuming you qualified)
    13) Canadian Nationals Champs. (assuming you qualified)
    14) 2020 Olympics (Go Amy go; Go Canada)

I mentioned character earlier, basically this means that you are a good person, who is honest, and will work hard in the classroom and on the track and will contribute positively to the team and represent yourself, family, and school with class (pun not intended).

Key Points:

1) Be a good person (not an issue, you are Amy)
    2) Work as hard as possible in school.
    3) Pick three things that you are passionate about and see if you can major in it AND make a living - College/University is for getting an education; unless you are a starter on the University of Kentucky's Men's Basketball Team, then it is a showcase to determine where in the NBA Draft you will be picked.
    4) Keep training hard.
    5) Get a recommendation from you high school and club coach - have them send times, miles per week you run, training philosophy (Daniels, Lydiard, etc.).
    6) Get a recommendation from your High School Guidance Counselor; get her/him to send your transcripts to the schools that are a good fit for you. Find out if you need to take the SAT/ACTs - register.
    7) Get a recommendation from 2 teachers.
    8) Get a recommendation from your community-service leader.

In the NCAA Track and Field Coaches' world items 5, 6, 7, and 8 translates into;

Amy is an bright (teachers' rec.), hard-working/coachable (coaches' rec.), young lady/athlete, who is a pleasure to be around (HS guidance counselor rec.), and more importantly, contributes positively to her community (community-service leader).

9) Contact 3-5 schools' track teams (online; in person if possible) that have your major and that you would like to attend/compete for (USA and Canada; 6-10 total). Ask the coach(es) how you can contribute to their team and ask about their academic programs and if you can run and attend class. Architecture tends not to play well with others. Liberal arts and STEM-CS get along with track.
    10) Attend college; earned scholarship.
    11) Graduate, win Nobel - Thank your family/friends, club/high school coach, college coach, teammates.
    12) Live a long and happy life.

I hope this helps.

Runfastrunfar

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Image Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1