SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

You are viewing page of 16.

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 5
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 1 year ago

2018 ofsaa XC Favorite?

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #376 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

Quoting: Billie
    "Could you explain your thinking a little bit more here? Title IX in the US explicitly disallows discrimination on the basis of sex within the federally funded university system. My understanding is that one of its purposes was to address the vast inequalities (funding/sporting opportunities offered/etc.) that female athletes faced prior to its implementation in 1972. A good thing, no?

In terms of how US schools choose to allocate that funding to specific sports programs, I would suggest that football programs have a significant gendered impact on scholarships available for cross country/track athletes.

I would hope that the value we attach to specific OFSAA performances is more than just a chase for scholarship money/opportunities."

??? Think about it. A Full scholarship to the US is worth how much? 100k. Let’s put that much value on a great race at OFSAA.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #377 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "The biggest surprise came in the senior girls' race. The senior boys' results were predicted by NC Blogger."

LOL! Surprise winner?? Cameron Ormond...really?
    If that was a surprise to you then your interest in the sport and especially Senior Girls OFSAA is very low.
    She was the only "For Sure Winner" of the day!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #378 

"The reality of the situation is that thanks to Title 9 more Senior girls competing at OFSAA are likely to go NCAA on scholarship than boys so I would say by that standard their race is the most important."

I agree, thanks to Title IX there will be more scholarships offered to females.

And by that fact alone it makes the boys race more important!!

Mediocre women are getting scholarships while bona-fide good male runners north and south of the border are not gaining scholarships based simply on the fact that schools offer the majority of their money to football and basketball...which also makes sense because those sports bring in the money.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #379 

"Could you explain your thinking a little bit more here? Title IX in the US explicitly disallows discrimination on the basis of sex within the federally funded university system. My understanding is that one of its purposes was to address the vast inequalities (funding/sporting opportunities offered/etc.) that female athletes faced prior to its implementation in 1972. A good thing, no?

In terms of how US schools choose to allocate that funding to specific sports programs, I would suggest that football programs have a significant gendered impact on scholarships available for cross country/track athletes.

I would hope that the value we attach to specific OFSAA performances is more than just a chase for scholarship money/opportunities."

What is being said here, and correct if I'm wrong please, is that due to Universities offering the majority of their MALE scholarship money to football, basketball, hockey, baseball, it leaves little left for male runners.

Title IX basically says that scholarships are to be dolled out dollar for dollar between men and women. That means that women have a better chance of getting a running (track and cross country) scholarship than men in order to keep the funding equal.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #380 

"What is being said here, and correct if I'm wrong please, is that due to Universities offering the majority of their MALE scholarship money to football, basketball, hockey, baseball, it leaves little left for male runners.

Title IX basically says that scholarships are to be dolled out dollar for dollar between men and women. That means that women have a better chance of getting a running (track and cross country) scholarship than men in order to keep the funding equal."

Yes, so for the fourth time......fewer for men in TRACK/XC. I think we've come full circle here.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #381 

Quoting: sarahrosesullivan
    "eyes rolled to the back of his head and boom he was on the ground. he'll be back strong and healthy for nats."

seems healthy

Quote comment
  • outeastfan User since:
    Oct 30th, 2016
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #382 

OutEastFan said 1 month ago

"Great to hear Cameron Ormond wants to stay in Canada. She will be valuable to any university she chooses. On another note, OutEastFan don't confuse XC with Track. Two very different beasts and success in one definitely doesn't equal success in the other."

I recognize track and XC are very different as I personally always enjoyed more and had way better success in XC. I just used that 3km time comparison as an example because it's hard to compare XC race times since every course is so different from one another. And this Ofsaa course was a fairly flat course. I'm sure next year will be very different.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #383 

"What is being said here, and correct if I'm wrong please, is that due to Universities offering the majority of their MALE scholarship money to football, basketball, hockey, baseball, it leaves little left for male runners.

Title IX basically says that scholarships are to be dolled out dollar for dollar between men and women. That means that women have a better chance of getting a running (track and cross country) scholarship than men in order to keep the funding equal."

To be specific, there are a maximum of 12.6 scholarships (total among all events and all ages) for men and 18 for women. This may not sound like a big difference, but multiple by ~320 D1 and 280 D2 schools and it is significant (especially given the gender depth differences).

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #384 

"To be specific, there are a maximum of 12.6 scholarships (total among all events and all ages) for men and 18 for women. This may not sound like a big difference, but multiple by ~320 D1 and 280 D2 schools and it is significant (especially given the gender depth differences)."

It's a huge difference. I know girls with mediocre times/results and marks who get offers and boys must have amazing times and marks.

Quote comment
  • billie User since:
    Jun 25th, 2017
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #385 

Billie said 1 month ago

"To be specific, there are a maximum of 12.6 scholarships (total among all events and all ages) for men and 18 for women. This may not sound like a big difference, but multiple by ~320 D1 and 280 D2 schools and it is significant (especially given the gender depth differences)."

And how many opportunities exist for female athletes in football (a sport with an astounding amount of cultural significance in the US)? Title IX is an broad policy that has some imperfections in that while it ensured equal funding it was less successful in addressing the provision of equal sporting opportunities within the US university sport system. In a better world, women would have equal sporting opportunities as men along with the funding. In my opinion, there is still a long road ahead to ensure gender equality in sport.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #386 

"And how many opportunities exist for female athletes in football (a sport with an astounding amount of cultural significance in the US)? Title IX is an broad policy that has some imperfections in that while it ensured equal funding it was less successful in addressing the provision of equal sporting opportunities within the US university sport system. In a better world, women would have equal sporting opportunities as men along with the funding. In my opinion, there is still a long road ahead to ensure gender equality in sport."

In a Utopian society EVERYTHING would be equal. Unfortunately that does not exist. We only have our society. So let’s stick to reality. Male sports and specifically football bring in THE money. Gender equality, in terms of access, does exist. Title IX made that happen. So what’s your issue? People thinking that the boys race is better than the girls? That it carries more weight? That it is more important ? It is! That’s life. That’s sports! It’s faster, higher and stronger. That’s what people, if given a choice, will watch.

Quote comment
  • billie User since:
    Jun 25th, 2017
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #387 

Billie said 1 month ago

"In a Utopian society EVERYTHING would be equal. Unfortunately that does not exist. We only have our society. So let’s stick to reality. Male sports and specifically football bring in THE money. Gender equality, in terms of access, does exist. Title IX made that happen. So what’s your issue? People thinking that the boys race is better than the girls? That it carries more weight? That it is more important ? It is! That’s life. That’s sports! It’s faster, higher and stronger. That’s what people, if given a choice, will watch."

Thanks for finally speaking your truth, "The boy's race (sports) is more important/better than the girl's race (sports) because boys are faster, (jump?) higher, and stronger". It is exactly this type of thinking that results in female athletes being discriminated against even with strong legal protections and advocacy. No doubt you will have a quick response back given that discussions about gender equality obviously rattle your cage. However, I'm done now that we have gotten your truth out on the table rather than the excuses that various anons (or just you?) were hiding behind in earlier posts.

This post was edited by Billie 1 month ago . 
    Quote comment
  • master2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #388 

Master2B said 1 month ago

I was way more interested in Cameron Ormond's attempt at winning all 4 OFSAA x-country titles than any of the other races, including senior boys. She was attempting to make history and they were merely winning a race.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #389 

"In a Utopian society EVERYTHING would be equal. Unfortunately that does not exist. We only have our society. So let’s stick to reality. Male sports and specifically football bring in THE money. Gender equality, in terms of access, does exist. Title IX made that happen. So what’s your issue? People thinking that the boys race is better than the girls? That it carries more weight? That it is more important ? It is! That’s life. That’s sports! It’s faster, higher and stronger. That’s what people, if given a choice, will watch."

I guess I'm not a person then - I watched all three ladies races on the weekend and none of the boys races - and I did have a choice. I think once you get out of the dark ages you will find that many people don't share your biases.

Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #390 

NC Blogger said 1 month ago

"The biggest surprise came in the senior girls' race. The senior boys' results were predicted by NC Blogger."

"LOL! Surprise winner?? Cameron Ormond...really?
    If that was a surprise to you then your interest in the sport and especially Senior Girls OFSAA is very low.
    She was the only "For Sure Winner" of the day!"

I think Anon was referring to the team results. After all, I managed to go three for three in the SB race.

I also made it quite clear, I thought, Ormond would win the SG race.

In my defense though, I did have 2 of 3 in the SG race as well and my top pick(s) tied for 4th / 5th. The only one I missed was my own school, which I will admit, is kind of embarrassing......

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #391 

Quoting: NC Blogger
    "In my defense though, I did have 2 of 3 in the SG race as well and my top pick(s) tied for 4th / 5th. The only one I missed was my own school, which I will admit, is kind of embarrassing......"

You did predict that KCVI would go down though! You must have a crystal ball. I beleive they were unbeaten in 3 years.

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1