Anonymous said 4 months ago

2018 Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #51 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Idiotic? I think you are out of touch. 2 weeks of missed school for a borderline student trying to get into a decent university could be the difference of being accepted or not. Many schools you need an 85+% average to have a decent shot.

If you think going to the Youth Olympics is more important than attending a top university you have your priorities all wrong.

Don't use the excuse that a top runner will get accepted by a school regardless of their marks you are delusional."

All my university acceptances (5 in Canada 3 in the U.S) were based solely on my grade 11 marks from an Ontario high school.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #52 

Lobster said 1 month ago

"All my university acceptances (5 in Canada 3 in the U.S) were based solely on my grade 11 marks from an Ontario high school."

So, grade 12 means squat ? Anxious to see how the bloggers with the high anal retentiveness scores react to that.

Quote comment
  • runningman User since:
    Feb 23rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #53 

Runningman said 1 month ago

"All my university acceptances (5 in Canada 3 in the U.S) were based solely on my grade 11 marks from an Ontario high school."

really? I find that amazing considering it's th 2nd week of October. Early acceptance has not even commenced at most schools.

You are full of crap young man.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #54 

Quoting: Runningman
    "really? I find that amazing considering it's th 2nd week of October. Early acceptance has not even commenced at most schools.

You are full of crap young man."

Maybe the poster wasn't referring to this year. My son was just told the exact same thing.....early acceptance WILL be based on his grade 11 marks and any grade 12s he's completed in his grade 11 year (or summer school).

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #55 

These last few posts are classic Trackie.

Burke runs an unbelievable race and the focus is turned about not enough practice runs for OFSAA or missing two weeks of school is a bad idea.

When someone does something really good or rare it should be applauded. The brotherhood and sisterhood in the running community is awful (based on this website).

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #56 

"really? I find that amazing considering it's th 2nd week of October. Early acceptance has not even commenced at most schools.

If you're really good you already know by now. Fact.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #57 

I am not in grade 12, I am currently in my second year of university in Ontario. I am in an arts program and yes was accepted and made a decision before Christmas of my grade 12 year - which means YES my acceptance was based on my second semester grade 11 marks, as was my entrance scholarship. My friends in engineering and other programs have explained that their application and admissions process is different and they had a grade 12 report card of marks by then. I ran in high school and at Ofsaa pretty consistently and I am on my varsity team running at University now as well. I am not full of crap. Thanks for reading this and adjusting your attitude as needed.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #58 

Where did you read or imply that the poster was not already in his first year of university before telling someone with obvious experience in navigating the Canadian and U.S system that they are full of crap?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #59 

You may want to check your attitude. I have had grade 12’s accepted (one received acceptance from UNB today actually) on grade 11 marks many times, both US and Canada, just as the poster above stated, and I am a coach who helps my athletes through the confusing and often scary times that is applications and acceptances.

What have you done that is positive for the youth in our athletics community lately? It seems like you are belittling without much knowledge of the current application and acceptance processes.

Quote comment
  • kirk-dillabaughrd User since:
    Dec 28th, 2013
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #60 

kirk.dillabaughrd said 1 month ago

In case anyone forgot -

Evan Burke - 8:14.99 for fourth!

Great run Evan.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #61 

Lobster said 1 month ago

Awesome !

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #62 

How will our team do in XC on Monday morning?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #63 

anonymous said 1 month ago

Early acceptance is the 1st or second week of November . Universities will look at grade 11 transcripts, confirm your core courses, confirm your course calender for grade 12. Based on that information you may receive an early offer.

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #64 

Buddy said 1 month ago

EVAN BURKE
    16th XC

SKYLER YORK

51 finishers

This post was edited by Buddy 1 month ago . 
    Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #65 

Buddy said 1 month ago

ladies

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #66 

Quoting: Buddy
    "ladies

50"

Ladies have a name
    15th Cameron Ormond
    18th Kendra Lewis
    50th Meredith Boyer

Out of 51 finishers

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #67 

"You may want to check your attitude. I have had grade 12’s accepted (one received acceptance from UNB today actually) on grade 11 marks many times, both US and Canada, just as the poster above stated, and I am a coach who helps my athletes through the confusing and often scary times that is applications and acceptances.

What have you done that is positive for the youth in our athletics community lately? It seems like you are belittling without much knowledge of the current application and acceptance processes."

Early acceptance at most schools starts in September they do not notify students in early October of their acceptance. Why doesn't the guy who claimed he has 8 acceptance letters as of last week name his schools??

By the way guys if your marks aren't up to snuff in Grade 12 that early acceptance can and will be revoked. Hence why someone said a borderline student may not want to miss 2+ weeks of school in G12.

Read the admissions policy carefully before you make broad comments about acceptance based on G11 marks

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #68 

"Early acceptance at most schools starts in September they do not notify students in early October of their acceptance. Why doesn't the guy who claimed he has 8 acceptance letters as of last week name his schools??

By the way guys if your marks aren't up to snuff in Grade 12 that early acceptance can and will be revoked. Hence why someone said a borderline student may not want to miss 2+ weeks of school in G12.

Read the admissions policy carefully before you make broad comments about acceptance based on G11 marks"

Well done Evan! Hope you enjoyed the Youth Olympics!

Furthermore his time in the 3k most likely got him a lot more interest from schools down south. So was taking 2 weeks off in October worth it? 100%

Whether you're right or wrong about this, you're timing is pretty bad, and you seem jealous of a an amazing run, and potential opportunities this may bring him. But if you want to keep taking away from it ....then continue.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #69 

d1hopeful said 1 month ago

wait, so do American unis (like the ivies) look at cumulative marks from high school or just grade 11 and part of grade 12?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #70 

Yes. My athlete's D1 school coach told me that marks from grade 11 plus the fall term marks of grade 12 contributed to the scholarship. Funny thing is, the final marks of HS were much higher than grade 11 and 12 marks. But by then, he was already writing first semester tests at uni.
    My athlete's experience of World Youth Olympics is strongly recommended to any athlete interested in competing. Yes, you will have to work for it; travel away outside of Canada (usually) to qualify for Canada. Then you'll need to " give up " your summer, your August month away from home, and time with your family at the cottage. When you return you'll need to make presentations at school, to your community and do media interviews. All this time you will refuse bursaries and financial offers just in case you get that NCAA scholarship. Oh yes, you still have to go to finish grade 12 and the school work. It was worth it.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #71 

annonymous said 4 weeks ago

This post became highjacked with non relevant university acceptance procedures.

A huge shout out to Julia Lovson from Edmonton Alberta for a BRONZE metal performance in the 400H. One of the toughest races in track.

We’ll done Julia! Way to make Alberta and Canada proud!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #72 

Annonymous said 4 weeks ago

Correction
    Julia finished 3rd in the second stage but fourth overall in the combined time from Stage one plus Stage two.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #73 

Anonymous said 4 weeks ago

My comments are to counter the negative viewpoints of the World Youth Olympic Games. My athlete went through all of reply #70 and will graduate from a D1 school on a full scholarship. It was not a highjacked deflection as you claim.

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1