2019 AUS Cross Country Predictions

Show Original Post
  • silverbackgorilla User since:
    Sep 23rd, 2019
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #51 

SilverbackGorilla said 3 weeks ago

Quoting: Distance Stud

And to address the AP part, he was not the best freshman in the last 10 years. Yes, he was indeed a very good rookie, but their were other guys just as good or better like; Riley Johnston, Scott Donald, Matt McNeil, and particularly Peter Corrigan from Dal. Every single one of those guys medaled at AUS as a rookie, meanwhile Peveril was 4th. Back in 2007, Peter as a rookie got 3rd at AUS, then went on to place 11th at CIS Nationals as a freshman.

https://www.trackie.com/track-and-field/Results/2007-cis-cross-country-championships/722/"

Couldn't have said it any better myself. The lack of respect for guys such as Johnston or Donald is insulting to the AUS.

There is no way anyone touches Jacob for ROY. Gillis is one of the best coaches in Canada and there is no way Jacob doesn't get better as the season goes on. Love a good valley boy bringing it home for NS...

#longlivethesilverback

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #52 

Anonymous said 3 weeks ago

"[QUOTE]Quoting: Anonymous
    "1) The "big takeaway" is the 80% of the university runners registered were doing some kind of threshold / tempo. Not surprised STFX had their teams racing because its their home meet. It's too bad both the intire team will be erelivent midway way through October as Gillis will likely blow everyone up.

2) Andrew Peverill is the best freshman in the last 10years because of what he did on a championship level, rather then a warmup race. Time will tell.

I'm calling straight bull s**t on that most guys treated it as a tempo workout. The fact of the matter is, if they toed the line then it's a race, and they handily got beat by Jacob. That's just an excuse for guys to fall back on when they get their asses kicked like on Saturday. Watch out boys, this guy is the real deal and I can guarantee you he will be relevant in late October when the "real showdown" begins. I'm outright calling it right now that Jacob will medal at AUS Championships. He could very well challenge AP for the win as well!

And to address the AP part, he was not the best freshman in the last 10 years. Yes, he was indeed a very good rookie, but their were other guys just as good or better like; Riley Johnston, Scott Donald, Matt McNeil, and particularly Peter Corrigan from Dal. Every single one of those guys medaled at AUS as a rookie, meanwhile Peveril was 4th. Back in 2007, Peter as a rookie got 3rd at AUS, then went on to place 11th at CIS Nationals as a freshman.

https://www.trackie.com/track-and-field/Results/2007-cis-cross-country-championships/722/"

Were you at the meet? Do you personally know what coaches told their athletes to do for this race? I can guarantee you that numerous athletes treated this as a "workout" which is absolutely normal for September of an XC season. Nothing against Jacob who is off to a great start in his rookie season but to say he will medal and challenge Andrew is a bit of a stretch.

Also to address your second point the AUS has SIGNIFICANTLY improved in depth since Riley and Matt were rookies. They had solid first years no question about that but to say Pev's 4th place finish behind Rawling, Neuffer and Dewolfe (who were all pretty solid AUS runners in their own right) isn't on the same level is hilarious.

Moral of my story here is your opinion on numerous topics is extremely flawed and you have very little evidence to back up any of the outrageous claims that you are making. I am very confident I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #53 

I gotta say, I don’t understand Distance Stud / AUS Scout / whoever else’s obsession with high school and rookie performances. Who really cares how Andrew stacked up as a rookie, or that Jacob is one now? All that matters is what happens at AUS and USports.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #54 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "I gotta say, I don’t understand Distance Stud / AUS Scout / whoever else’s obsession with high school and rookie performances. "

The high school/university xc transition represented the high point and most exciting time in this young man's life (Distance Stud/AUS Scout). He's reliving the past through what externally looks like fanfare, but represents a deeper inability to move forward to the next waypoint in life. It's kinda sad, but something we can all learn from

Quote comment
  • silverbackgorilla User since:
    Sep 23rd, 2019
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #55 

SilverbackGorilla said 1 week ago

For anyone who missed the PEAK meet of the AUS season at Acadia. I'll give you two words to summarize the meet

"BENOIT SHOW"

Paul was smart dropping out when he did... THE AUS SHOULD TAKE NOTE

Rumor is Peverill DNS because he was sh**ing his pants...

Once this man is done tearing through the AUS, USports is next... Take notes Ubene

#longlivethesilverback

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #56 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: SilverbackGorilla
    "For anyone who missed the PEAK meet of the AUS season at Acadia. I'll give you two words to summarize the meet

"BENOIT SHOW"

Paul was smart dropping out when he did... THE AUS SHOULD TAKE NOTE

Rumor is Peverill DNS because he was sh**ing his pants...

Once this man is done tearing through the AUS, USports is next... Take notes Ubene

#longlivethesilverback"

This was the saddest excuse for a cross country meet I've ever seen.... essentially an all out X team trial while the rest of the AUS was busy properly training (Dal and Pevs) or getting actual competitive experience (UNB was racing at Paul Short). Hope the X boys can hang on for 3 more weeks.

Quote comment
  • distance-stud User since:
    Dec 13th, 2013
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #57 

Distance Stud said 1 week ago

Benoit with another dominant performance at Acadia, taking the win! Can anyone stop him? I’ve got to say that X team is looking very strong this year. If I was Dal, I’d be getting worried for AUS, as X looks to be firing on all cylinders!

This post was edited by Distance Stud 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #58 

"Benoit with another dominant performance at Acadia, taking the win! Can anyone stop him? I’ve got to say that X team is looking very strong this year. If I was Dal, I’d be getting worried for AUS, as X looks to be firing on all cylinders!"

I think UNB without Colford was more impressive than X without MacLellan this weekend. Any of the three teams can win.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #59 

Why aren't all the teams racing everyone at every race? There's only so many races in the season. This is making the AUS look like a joke. What are people's thoughts on bringing in a scoring system for the regular season meets that would give teams a shot at making it to U-Sports by winning the scoring ranks?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 23
    Report    REPLY #60 

"Why aren't all the teams racing everyone at every race? There's only so many races in the season. This is making the AUS look like a joke. What are people's thoughts on bringing in a scoring system for the regular season meets that would give teams a shot at making it to U-Sports by winning the scoring ranks?"

Ever heard of burnout? Alex Cyr wrote a good book on the topic titled "Runners of the Nish"

Quote comment
  • johnstuarthobbes User since:
    Sep 9th, 2017
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #61 

JohnStuartHobbes said 1 week ago

"Ever heard of burnout? Alex Cyr wrote a good book on the topic titled "Runners of the Nish""

While you make a good point, and it may be foolhardy to peak for every race, I think there is a middle ground. If every race before the championships is nothing but a chance for a tempo run, why even have races? Why not simply host a national race once a year and dispense with every other opportunity to compete? While the point you make about burnout is well taken, it is equally wrong to suggest that every race before the AUS, CIS, etc., is nothing but a chance to tempo in another city.

Quote comment
  • aus-reporter User since:
    Oct 8th, 2019
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #62 

AUS Reporter said 1 week ago

Jacob Benoit is looking like an absolute stud out there this season. Buddy has just run away from most of his competition in his first two races in AUS competition. And let’s remember that its only October 8th!!! Just think about how much better he can get by the end of the season. When you run as well as Jacob does burnout is just not a possibility. From my personal experience I know that its always a great plan to get extremely fit at the very beginning of the season. If his plan was to just scare away the rest of the competition early on, id say he’s doing a great job. Anyone who was at the Acadia race saw just how easily he ran away with the dub. THE ACADIA RACE!!!. The pinnacle of the cross country season! This race is easily more competitive that USport and should be used to determine the top runners and teams in the nation. Personally I believe that he deserves AUS rookie of the year solely based on how he ran at Acadia. The way that he just dropped the pack after 4k was incredible, and I’m sure he was already running nearly all out for the first half of the race as one would need to do just to keep up when the quality of competition is that amazing. He made the remainder of the lead pack look like a bunch of high schoolers running backwards when he just took off. The biggest takeaway from this meet is that Jacob is looking like the next AUS champ and X will just run away with the team title the same way they did against the stiff competition at the Acadia meet that made OUA races look like little kids racing.

This post was edited by AUS Reporter 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 14
    Report    REPLY #63 

Quoting: AUS Reporter
    "Jacob Benoit is looking like an absolute stud out there this season. Buddy has just run away from most of his competition in his first two races in AUS competition. And let’s remember that its only October 8th!!! Just think about how much better he can get by the end of the season. When you run as well as Jacob does burnout is just not a possibility. From my personal experience..."

Alright Fuller, what's this, your 10th account that you post under? You're taking this too far. Please stop.

Sincerely,
    The Entire AUS

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #64 

"I can guarantee you he will be relevant in late October when the "real showdown" begins. "

Uhhhh, since when is “the real showdown” in October?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #65 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

StFX beats Dal at Interlock, any predictions on what happens on Kingswood Golf Course in 2 weeks at AUS?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #66 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

"StFX beats Dal at Interlock, any predictions on what happens on Kingswood Golf Course in 2 weeks at AUS?"

*StFX Xmen beat Dal's men.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #67 

Anonymous said 2 days ago

"*StFX Xmen beat Dal's men."

probably, but it will be close. Taking out all the non AUS runners from Intrlock leaves StFX with 33 and Dal with 34. (Memorial will likely make this more interesting).

Top Finishers
    St. Marys = 1
    St FX = 2,3,6,9,13 = 33
    Dal = 4,5,7,8,10, (11,12) = 34

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #68 

Anonymous said 2 days ago

"probably, but it will be close. Taking out all the non AUS runners from Intrlock leaves StFX with 33 and Dal with 34. (Memorial will likely make this more interesting).

Top Finishers
    St. Marys = 1
    St FX = 2,3,6,9,13 = 33
    Dal = 4,5,7,8,10, (11,12) = 34"

UNB didn't race their top two either who probably slot in between X's 1 and 2.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #69 

WRONG said 2 days ago

"probably, but it will be close. Taking out all the non AUS runners from Intrlock leaves StFX with 33 and Dal with 34. (Memorial will likely make this more interesting).

Top Finishers
    St. Marys = 1
    St FX = 2,3,6,9,13 = 33
    Dal = 4,5,7,8,10, (11,12) = 34"

St. Mary’s = 1
    STFX = 2,3,6,10,13 = 34
    DAL= 4,5,7,8,9, (11,12) = 34

Dal wins on Sixth

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1