LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

TeenRunner said 3 months ago

20x400

What event will this help me with?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 25
    Report    REPLY #1 

The Trial of Miles said 3 months ago

The mile, but only if you do three sets of 20x400.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #2 

Really Am Skuj said 3 months ago

800m to The Marathon.

Next?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #3 

Anonymous said 3 months ago

Lying down on the therapists table

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #4 

Really Am Skuj said 3 months ago

Quoting: Really Am Skuj
    "800m to The Marathon.

Next?"

I was serious about this. But, a few prerequisites:

- this is for mature / experienced runners only.
    - this is not a session where you take longer than 2min rests. Maybe 1min is best.
    - this is not a session where you do 800m pace. You might hit 1500m pace on the last run, if you are feeling really good and ambitious, but 3k-5k pace is recommended.
    - this is a great big chunky stamina session for 800-1500, and a pace session for 3k-5k, and a speedy session for 10k and up.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #5 

Bomber said 3 months ago

I'd agree with many of the ideas below and to add....

This session is all about pace and recovery. It's a great rhythm session that can be more mentally manageable than say grinding miles.

If done too fast it can bury you....

For egs Ron Daws (IMHO explains Lydiard better than Lydiard) advocated it in base phases, but at 10km pace and it was done off 60 sec

This is a staple session of the BC Endurance group (did it a few times when I trained with Richard for bit), but we were all post collegiate (I was actually a masters by then) so able to handle the paces and volume. But they also roll this session

I do advocate it at times for some (read some) of the athletes I work with, but we do it at more of a 10km-5km pace. As noted below difference between a university kid vs a Luc Bruchet in regards to paces one can handle.

Quoting: Really Am Skuj
    "I was serious about this. But, a few prerequisites:

- this is for mature / experienced runners only.
    - this is not a session where you take longer than 2min rests. Maybe 1min is best.
    - this is not a session where you do 800m pace. You might hit 1500m pace on the last run, if you are feeling really good and ambitious, but 3k-5k pace is recommended.
    - this is a great big chunky stamina session for 800-1500, and a pace session for 3k-5k, and a speedy session for 10k and up."

Quote comment
  • meizner User since:
    Oct 8th, 2013
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #6 

Meizner said 3 months ago

Random, semi-related anecdote here. One of my favorite workout memories:
    Fall of 2000. I was doing a placement in Ottawa. It was late October and I had just run a road pb of 30:17 a few weeks prior. I was pretty fit and feeling good. Ottawa Lions training group at the time was very strong (Scott MacD, Stu McGregor, Chris Weber, Stephane Gamache). I jumped into a session with them at the Terry Fox Facility under the lights. It was one of those perfect late Autumn nights-- about 8C, no wind. The lights on in the gloaming gave it that magical sort of feel.

Prescribed session was 16x400 broken up into 4 sets of 4. Rest was 100m jog with 400 jog between sets. We alternated leads so we each only had to lead 3-4.

We ended up rolling 64-65 seconds for every interval. Just solid, even-paced work feeling smooth and easy. I'd rarely felt so good and strong. It wasn't the pace we were running but how effortless we felt.

Anyways.. back to work.

Main message is that a whole bunch of quarters in many combinations is a great stimulus.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #7 

Letsrun reader said 3 months ago

Do them with 1:00-1:30 rest, at 5k pace.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #8 

Quoting: Letsrun reader
    "Do them with 1:00-1:30 rest, at 5k pace."

Bang on! Then progressing to km repeats at same pace, same volume and similar jog rest....=”critical velocity’ workouts. If you’re actually a teen then consider shortening the volume (5-6km).

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

Quoting: The Trial of Miles
    "The mile, but only if you do three sets of 20x400."

love that book

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

might be pq in Rome said 3 months ago

There is no end to the number of combinations and permutations of sets of 400s you can do, and they can be useful / helpful, or destructive. In my own experience and opinion, a set of 20-25 400s at about 10k pace with 100 m jog rests is a really good, solid session, that might need to be snuck up on by first (a week or two out) trying 2 x 8 with 4 min jog between sets, then 2 x 10 (the next week say), then 20 consecutive, then as many as about 25. I would incorporate work like that in any distance training for an experienced runner. Probably wouldn't suggest that kind of work for a relative new or young runner, if it were me.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #11 

Gerschler Revisited said 3 months ago

For interval training Gerschler and Reindell discovered 100m and 200m reps w/30-90s recovery provided the greatest stimulus for strengthening the heart. They viewed the heart as a muscle, A larger heart corresponds with a larger aerobic capacity. They found less favourable results w/reps exceeding 300m. The training of stampfl and Igloi all were based on Gerschler. It's important to understand the history. 4-6k of 200m reps at basically a Charlie francis tempo pace or 65-75% effort of one rep max

Quote comment
  • zurg User since:
    Jan 21st, 2018
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #12 

Zurg said 3 months ago

Quoting: TeenRunner
    "What event will this help me with?"
    Im no expert but I think this type of training will help with the 400m. If you can run 20 reps of your race distance, your set to run an incredible time. Back when men where men, Greg Anderson ran a workout of 10x3000m just 2 weeks before getting the OFFSA record.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #13 

Gerschler Revisited said 2 months ago

The 400m or any event less than one minute in duration is a sprint event. It is a neuromuscular not a metabolic event as per Peter Weyand SMU research and AV Hills observation. 10 x 300m for the 800 I can certainly see the value.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1