• Contact

LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:
    *For quicker support use email when possible.

You are viewing page of 3.

Discussion Forum >>

International-conference-of-athletics-excellence
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Jun 8th, 2015
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

Buddy said 9 months ago

800m Night and 1500m Night meets same day?

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #51 

Anonymous said 8 months ago

Quoting: Obvious
    "Agreed.

But we don't know what AO had communicated to Steve or UTTC with regards to those scheduling issues.

It's not clear from Bob's answer why 800m night could not have been a standalone event like past years (when it could have been scheduled several days apart on either side of 1500m night to server as a better compliment).

Maybe there were no available stadium dates."

Obvious did you know that the head of AO is a UTTC coach?

Quote comment
  • track-west-founder User since:
    Jan 22nd, 2018
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #52 

Track West founder said 8 months ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Obvious did you know that the head of AO is a UTTC coach?"

Many people are saying that they don't know what was communicated between Steve and UTTC, and AO to Steve or UTTC. Then why speculate?

To even comment on the fact that Paul Osland (Head of AO) is a UTTC coach (actually a coach of the UTTC Masters) has a hint of innuendo. So what!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #53 

"Obvious did you know that the head of AO is a UTTC coach?"

Really? How did this not come up earlier in the thread, not even mentioned during any of the different analogies.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #54 

Good news said 8 months ago

Looks like there is a meet June 22-23 at varsity stadium in Toronto that could easily allow for 800m festival to take place on either evening as the schedule of events finishes around 3pm each day.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #55 

I think UTTC masters is the same club as UTTC.

Track West Founder are you going to retract your post in reply 34 or do you think reply 2 was lying?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #56 

Ottawa valley said 8 months ago

Quoting: Good news
    "Looks like there is a meet June 22-23 at varsity stadium in Toronto that could easily allow for 800m festival to take place on either evening as the schedule of events finishes around 3pm each day."

The 800m meet wasn't hosted last year by UTTC, just Phoenix and Harbour. Gosh there's a lot of Ontario groups copying the 1500m Night concept. Anyway the UTTC meet was previously on a weekday; for the very first year moving to a weekend the June 22-23 dates make a lot of sense. I hope UTTC supports other meets as Bwest claims they do and moves to June 22 or 23, unless that was just posturing and trying to stifle the conversation.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #57 

Anonymous said 7 months ago

There was talk earlier in this thread about the intent or spirit of the policies vs the specific rules. Some people only cared about the latter which state that you need 4 clear days between hosting 800-3000 and those events being hosted at the provincial championships.

The AO champs are July 12-14 in Toronto, with 1500m on July 13 and 800m on July 14.

On Tuesday, July 16, UTTC is hosting a meet in Toronto with 800 and 1500. According to the sanctioning guidelines, these events are too close to AO Champs and shouldn't be sanctioned. This looks particularly bad as it's in the same city!!

On Wednesday, July 17, UWAC is hosting a meet in Windsor with 800 and 1500. According to the sanctioning guidelines, these events are too close to AO Champs and shouldn't be sanctioned.

On Wednesday, July 17 Speed River is hosting a meet in Guelph with 800 and 1500....

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #58 

"And in 2020 will we see a 1500 hosted the same day in Guelph and Hamilton, along with Toronto and the London 1500m Night or should AO eventually do something to prevent that as their sanctioning preamble suggests. Well, probably not Hamilton because some groups like London Runner and Harbour Track work together."

Apparently we are basically going to see a version of this in July 2019 in a letter-of-the-rules breach to use wording from another poster. UTTC and Speed River involved is no surprise.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #59 

"There was talk earlier in this thread about the intent or spirit of the policies vs the specific rules. Some people only cared about the latter which state that you need 4 clear days between hosting 800-3000 and those events being hosted at the provincial championships.

The AO champs are July 12-14 in Toronto, with 1500m on July 13 and 800m on July 14.

On Tuesday, July 16, UTTC is hosting a meet in Toronto with 800 and 1500. According to the sanctioning guidelines, these events are too close to AO Champs and shouldn't be sanctioned. This looks particularly bad as it's in the same city!!

On Wednesday, July 17, UWAC is hosting a meet in Windsor with 800 and 1500. According to the sanctioning guidelines, these events are too close to AO Champs and shouldn't be sanctioned.

On Wednesday, July 17 Speed River is hosting a meet in Guelph with 800 and 1500...."

I suspect it is in place to protect the provincial championships and increase the likelihood that the athletes will choose to participate in the Provincial Championships rather than a club sponsored meet.

You refer to "guidelines" if they are indeed guidelines by definition of the term it means "how something should be done" . This is different than "how something must be done".

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #60 

No talk on the legion meet and AO's being on the same weekend?

Quote comment
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #61 

SteveWeiler said 7 months ago

"I suspect it is in place to protect the provincial championships and increase the likelihood that the athletes will choose to participate in the Provincial Championships rather than a club sponsored meet.

You refer to "guidelines" if they are indeed guidelines by definition of the term it means "how something should be done" . This is different than "how something must be done"."

I received the following email from AO the first year these sanctioning guidelines were enacted.

"Hi Steve,

I just realized that some of your events in the June 11 meet cannot be sanctioned according to our conflict rules.

I've attached the document that explains which events are permitted within a certain time before and after championships, trials, etc. The 1500 and 3000m Steeplechase need 4 clear days before the National Qualifer meet on June 14-15. The 5000m needs 6 days.
    All of these events are offered to Juniors and Seniors at the National Qualifier meet on June 14-15.

You can appeal but you have to have compelling reasons (tradition, etc.) for the request."

The email clearly identified the policy as a can or cannot binary, not just loose guidelines. I successfully appealed, based primarily on the late and poor communication of the policy that particular year, having precedent on my side.

Since that year, I believe I have consistently followed the AO policies and I know that Paula Schnurr in Hamilton respects them as well, as we annually communicate/collaborate on meets. Over the years, I have repeatedly asked AO staff to either update/improve the policy for future years or enforce it as is. Notably written several weeks before I found out about the events to be contested in Toronto on June 15-16, I sent a long email to Randolph (Technical) and Paul (CEO) which included the following:

"My intention here is not to ask AO to withhold sanctioning from events that you otherwise believe should be sanctioned; this is why I used a past example that is highly unlikely to occur in 2019, given the impact on the other meet. My intention is to encourage you to consider whether the AO sanction policies and their application by AO staff can better align with the stated goals in the preamble and, further, to request AO take action to support 1,500m Night."

Again, this was long before I found out the 800 fest would take place in 2019. My request for support was as a collaborative effort comparable to BC Athletics supporting the Pacific Distance Carnival.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #62 

"No talk on the legion meet and AO's being on the same weekend?"

They are for different age groups, so it works fine.

If the UTTC, Speed River, and UWAC meets held soon after the AO U20/Open Champs offered the mentioned 8 and 15 exclusively for U18 athletes, that would also work fine with the sanction policy.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #63 

"They are for different age groups, so it works fine.
    ."

Maybe check the schedule before declaring that, they both are holding U16 combined events, which is a bit of a conflict. And do you honestly think that no top U18 athletes compete in the U20 events?

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #64 

"They are for different age groups, so it works fine.

If the UTTC, Speed River, and UWAC meets held soon after the AO U20/Open Champs offered the mentioned 8 and 15 exclusively for U18 athletes, that would also work fine with the sanction policy."

But how many of those kids at legions this weekend would be able to be competitive (top 8) at ao's?

It'll be worth comparing the results to one another (where applicable)..

We're dispersing depth when we really shouldn't be.

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1