• Contact

LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:
    *For quicker support use email when possible.

You are viewing page of 3.

Discussion Forum >>

2020 U Sports Champs
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Oct 11th, 2013
thumbs_up 5
Report  ORIGINAL

MJD said 1 month ago

AC, DuChene, Cliff, Kidd on the Guelph situation on the CBC's The Current

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #51 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "This is perhaps one of the most ignorant posts on this thread. I apologize that we all don't have your obviously superior intuition. SOME people are not as observant as others and some people are a little clueless or even self-centered in terms of what is going on around them. This does not make them bad people and worthy of your ire.

I've worked for more than one boss (ever had a landscaping or construction job??) in which they were egotistical, loud, crude and mean, but very good at their job. I kept my nose to the grind and did my job. Perhaps I should have quit because my boss hurt someone's feelings?

Being a jerk is not a crime. Sexual assault is."

So you're comparing being a coach working for publicly funded institution of higher learning with being a landscaping or construction boss? Did you get opportunities to fill out confidential questionaires on the performance of your landscaping boss? Did the company you work for appoint staffs of people overseeing your landscaping boss whose job it was to protect you from abuse at the hands of your boss? In other words, did you have opportunities to report your boss' behaviour confidentially literally dropped in your lap?

It not reasonable to expect every athlete would have reported Dave's obviously abusive behavior to admin, but it is amazing that captains and senior leadership within the team apparently said nothing to admin about him over the years. And if they did, the U of G has some serious explaining to do about how they did not protect athletes from a rogue coach. The Megan B stuff is merely the worst of it. And this isn't about crimes. No one has been charged. This is about abusive behaviour in a place (a university) where it is typically not expected or tolerated.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #52 

"Then are a various Guelph types going on about being "shocked" by these revelations. Why? Because they were suddenly in a newspaper? They're "shocked" that a guy who was known by many of them to be bully and liar was also guilty of taking what he wanted sexually from a vulnerable female athlete? Guelph people of a certain age and position have absolutely no right to either shock or in trauma just because what they knew is now out there in the media. I think what has really shocked and traumatized many of them is the loss of status they are now suffering. For this, there should be no sympathy. The ones with the most status and potential influence could have stopped DST and didn't, because they liked what else he was bringing."

I think the shock and trauma comes from realizing maybe you weren't necessarily the "good person" Dave told you he was going to make you when you came to Guelph. That maybe you ended up being just an ordinary person-- or worse-- who thought winning was more important than standing up for your team mates and what was right.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #53 

read Gladwell said 1 month ago

"Then are a various Guelph types going on about being "shocked" by these revelations. Why? Because they were suddenly in a newspaper? They're "shocked" that a guy who was known by many of them to be bully and liar was also guilty of taking what he wanted sexually from a vulnerable female athlete? Guelph people of a certain age and position have absolutely no right to either shock or in trauma just because what they knew is now out there in the media. I think what has really shocked and traumatized many of them is the loss of status they are now suffering. For this, there should be no sympathy. The ones with the most status and potential influence could have stopped DST and didn't, because they liked what else he was bringing."

Before you victim shame, or throw anyone under the bus for "not knowing" (not sure what "know" even means here), please first read Malcolm Gladwell's newest book: "Talking to Strangers" - an exceptional read, highlighting the human nature of Truth Default Theory, giving examples of US intelligence being dupped by in house spies, and many, many other examples. This does, and can, easily happen.

See: https://www.amazon.ca/Talking-Strangers-Should-about-People-ebook/dp/B07NDKVWZW

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #54 

Anon said 1 month ago

"What track record beyond the Ottawa lions cases? I must be out of the loop on other investigations that were reversed."

Well all it takes is one. Did you read that report? It reads like someone writing a comic book.
    Also I feel like AO took the commissioner's office out of there investigation for Randy Brookes and did it themselves. Passed the findings on after so he would be suspended from AC as well.
    The decision against McInnis was thrown out and to be redone by someone other than the Commissioner's Office. The decision against the Lions Board of Directors was also reversed and they had to give a statement that they did in fact follow the right procedures.

Commissioner's office has Desai Williams as it's only "victory" that hasn't been reversed.
    I don't count Ken Porter yet, because the damming comic book for him has to be redone with a new investigation that seems pretty open and shut. Hope they don't screw it up.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #55 

Quoting: read Gladwell
    "Before you victim shame, or throw anyone under the bus for "not knowing" (not sure what "know" even means here), please first read Malcolm Gladwell's newest book: "Talking to Strangers" - an exceptional read, highlighting the human nature of Truth Default Theory, giving examples of US intelligence being dupped by in house spies, and many, many other examples. This does, and can, easily happen.

See: https://www.amazon.ca/Talking-Strangers-Should-about-People-ebook/dp/B07NDKVWZW"

I've never been impressed with gladwell. I remember when he boldly claimed trump would be in jail within a year of his presidency, lol.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #56 

The Tipping Point sold over 2.5 million copies
    Blink has sold over 2 million copies
    Outliers has sold more than 1.6 million copies

Estimated 10 million copies sold all his books included

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #57 

low standards much said 1 month ago

"The Tipping Point sold over 2.5 million copies
    Blink has sold over 2 million copies
    Outliers has sold more than 1.6 million copies

Estimated 10 million copies sold all his books included"

Yes, American pop culture consumption is a good guide to the intellectual rigour of a work..

Quote comment
  • mjd User since:
    Oct 11th, 2013
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #58 

MJD said 1 month ago

Quoting: low standards much
    "Yes, American pop culture consumption is a good guide to the intellectual rigour of a work.."

It's actually normally a contrarian indicator. Gladwell’s call on Trump(and I called it at the time) was about as moronic as Krugman’s:

“Paul Krugman: The Economic Fallout

By PAUL KRUGMAN
    COMMENT
    2016-11-09T00:42:44-05:0012:42 AM ET
    It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?

Frankly, I find it hard to care much, even though this is my specialty. The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.”

This post was edited by MJD 1 month ago . 
    Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #59 

Suomynona said 1 month ago

For the love of god, how did this become a Trumpy thread?

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1