Show Original Post
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 15
    Report    REPLY #351 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: Lobster
    "You all know where I stand on this."

Yep. You were the victim-blaming apologist who thought maybe "homophobia" was behind the whole thing-- as if "heterophobia" is to blame every time a male coach initiates sexual contact with his female athletes and is banned.

Disgraceful. You know at least one of Porter's victims participates in this thread, right?

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #352 

Lobster said 1 week ago

Wow, you certainly told me ! To Hell with personal loyalties, friendship, and respect for the very good things that Ken Porter did over his athletics career. I stand by what I have said. Some people have a black or white attitude, about people. No one is 100% right, nor 100% wrong. This is a far from perfect world. This will be my last comment on this topic.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #353 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

"Wow, you certainly told me ! To Hell with personal loyalties, friendship, and respect for the very good things that Ken Porter did over his athletics career. I stand by what I have said. Some people have a black or white attitude, about people. No one is 100% right, nor 100% wrong. This is a far from perfect world. This will be my last comment on this topic."

Maybe you should take your own advise and except that someone who has done a lot of good things is his life has also done some horrendous things to athletes under his care. As you said people are not black and white and it is okay to praise someone for doing good with one hand while holding them accountable for their misgivings with another.

I will also point out that for someone who 'knows where they stand' you seem to projecting your own self doubt on this one. Why even bring up 'black and white' attitudes if you are so certain that KP's victim are lying or mis-remembering. If he as an innocent as you claim then where is the moral grey area?

Quote comment
  • billie User since:
    Jun 25th, 2017
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #354 

Billie said 1 week ago

This will be my last comment on this topic."

Somehow I doubt that. Your moral equivalency in this matter is disgusting but not surprising in the least.

Brian thank you for having the courage to bring this forward and to continue advocating for this to be heard in open court.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #355 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

"Wow, you certainly told me ! To Hell with personal loyalties, friendship, and respect for the very good things that Ken Porter did over his athletics career. I stand by what I have said. Some people have a black or white attitude, about people. No one is 100% right, nor 100% wrong. This is a far from perfect world. This will be my last comment on this topic."

Although I do believe the friendship, trust, and respect do mean something; the fact that he's had so many allegations against him (and that he's had reports released about him).. that maybe that trust and respect should be looked at a little more closely.

Blindly following people is never a good idea... Would you unconditionally love your SO? Even if they cheat on you? Poison your friends, parents, or children? Try to murder you?

Because nothing has been done criminally.. He may be innocent in the eyes of the law.. But reading the report.. would you really want to be friends with someone described like that?

Quote comment
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #356 

SteveWeiler said 1 week ago

You yourself appear to have adopted a black and white attitude such that you are unwilling to accept new information that conflicts with your previous understanding of this individual. I recognize that would be particularly difficult, though my sympathy is primarily reserved for the athletes that have come forward.

Thank you to those brave enough to have come forward on this and other matters these past few years; the Canadian Athletics community will be a better and safer place thanks to your actions.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #357 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: SteveWeiler
    "You yourself appear to have adopted a black and white attitude such that you are unwilling to accept new information that conflicts with your previous understanding of this individual. I recognize that would be particularly difficult, though my sympathy is primarily reserved for the athletes that have come forward.

Thank you to those brave enough to have come forward on this and other matters these past few years; the Canadian Athletics community will be a better and safer place thanks to your actions."

I think it's simpler than that, Steve. To have gone this far, this guy clearly just doesn't care what Porter is alleged to have done. He thinks he's a "great guy" whose great-guyness counter-balances these abuses, as if we were talking about some kind of moral ledger. He's unusual only in being able to come right out and say that he doesn't think taking sexual advantage of athletes is a bad thing if your net contribution to the sport is positive. It's the sports equivalent of the old "at least he (Mussolini) made the trains run on time". Lots of people take this view when they happen to like someone who's been accused of something bad.

Quote comment
  • rembrandt User since:
    Mar 2nd, 2015
    thumbs_up 14
    Report    REPLY #358 

Rembrandt said 1 week ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "I think it's simpler than that, Steve. To have gone this far, this guy clearly just doesn't care what Porter is alleged to have done. He thinks he's a "great guy" whose great-guyness counter-balances these abuses, as if we were talking about some kind of moral ledger. He's unusual only in being able to come right out and say that he doesn't think taking sexual advantage of athletes is a bad thing if your net contribution to the sport is positive. It's the sports equivalent of the old "at least he (Mussolini) made the trains run on time". Lots of people take this view when they happen to like someone who's been accused of something bad."

Completely agree.

A few great guy apologists on this letsrun thread too: https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9703824&page=1

This post was edited by Rembrandt 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #359 

SteveWeiler said 1 week ago

"I think it's simpler than that, Steve. To have gone this far, this guy clearly just doesn't care what Porter is alleged to have done. He thinks he's a "great guy" whose great-guyness counter-balances these abuses, as if we were talking about some kind of moral ledger. He's unusual only in being able to come right out and say that he doesn't think taking sexual advantage of athletes is a bad thing if your net contribution to the sport is positive. It's the sports equivalent of the old "at least he (Mussolini) made the trains run on time". Lots of people take this view when they happen to like someone who's been accused of something bad."

Fair enough, we have certainly seen versions of the 'moral ledger' or 'great guy' argument many times over the years in defense of indiscretions and untoward behaviour taking place within our athletics community.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #360 

Suomynona said 1 week ago

Pathetic!!

This is not going to be our last word on your ignorance and wilful blindness.

You might as well forgive Hitler because he built great highways.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #361 

Suomynona said 1 week ago

I swear I did not see this post before my Hitler-highway comments above. That at least two of us coukd make such comparisons speaks volumes regarding Lobster's monumental ignorance.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #362 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

Quoting: Rembrandt
    "Completely agree.

A few great guy apologists on this letsrun thread too: https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9703824&page=1"

I've never understood the great guy argument. There are some bad deeds that wipe away any goodwill built up

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #363 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "I've never understood the great guy argument. There are some bad deeds that wipe away any goodwill built up"

It's the "great guy" persona that shields these predators from scrutiny for years and decades. We had the coach of the private university in BC dismissed and he was often referred to as a "great guy", Ottawa Track was also run by a "great guy" and some think of him as a "super guy" and now questions are being raised at the Guelph and Speed River programs

For a country with so few running programs and it's obvious that it's a tight group the list of abusive coaches is alarmingly long.

Quote comment
  • master2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #364 

Master2B said 3 days ago

One of my other favourite arguments is but the group is running so well! A certain UVic coach got away with sexual harassment for many years because the program was doing well and administration, other coaches and athletes looked the other way.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #365 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

Quoting: Master2B
    "One of my other favourite arguments is but the group is running so well! A certain UVic coach got away with sexual harassment for many years because the program was doing well and administration, other coaches and athletes looked the other way."

Before any young readers jump to conclusions. He not referring to a current UVic Coach.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitbrizyr User since:
    Apr 23rd, 2019
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #366 

brizyr said 1 day ago

Quoting: Master2B
    "One of my other favourite arguments is but the group is running so well! A certain UVic coach got away with sexual harassment for many years because the program was doing well and administration, other coaches and athletes looked the other way."

Interesting that you bring up this example, Master2B. I was at the UVic (but not a Vike; I was ineligible at the time), and I heard stories from runners who were involved in of what you speak. I wouldn't label it 'harassment', although it was sexual. It was more like a cult with some real 'kinky shit' happening, but all of those involved were adults and it probably seemed like fun at the time for them. These days, this behaviour would be recorded and #metoo'ed. I soon distanced myself from these shenanigans and trained alone mostly that year.

But the group was running so well, indeed!

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1