You are viewing page of 2.

Discussion Forum >>

Elementary School XC Super Meet
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

Really Am Skuj said 2 weeks ago

Apparently, there is a Marathon in Chicago this weekend.

Show Original Post
  • mattnorminton User since:
    Mar 17th, 2015
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #26 

mattnorminton said 2 weeks ago

Quoting: Really Am Skuj
    "Tokyo 2020 is going to be fascinating. We know how Farah loves to race, and it was on full display today. I can't see the first half going out anywhere near 61-62mins there, and maybe it will come down to who can run the fastest last 5k after a relatively "slow" first 37k. Kipchoge is obviously otherworldly, but will that last another two years?

Rupp did very well today, even though he must be devistated (see that Matt?) with his 5th place. I can see him running significantly faster than 2:06 in the next two years."

Man I'd love to be devastated with a 5th place 2:06 at the Chicago marathon!!! Sounds like he needs to increase his dose of the Salazer secret sauce he's been taking...

Quote comment
  • eighthundred User since:
    Dec 30th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #27 

eighthundred said 1 week ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "No, these times are certainly not "average" for a Canadian, but we've now had several guys come close to or surpass them; yet, no one has come anywhere near 2:06. Drayton was a 28:12 guy (no idea of his 5k best), so 2:10 was pretty solid for him (and I know he said he could/would have gone faster, even that day-- the sole of his shoe was apparently coming off in the last few miles!). Our best guys of the last 10 years were all right around 28:00/1:02ish, so they seem to have maximized their marathon abilities. What we have NOT seen is the guys who have gone well under 28mins relatively in their development (Williams, Kaley, Scheibler, Bairu, Levins, Ahmed) coming anywhere near maximizing their marathon potential (although we still await what Levins and Ahmed might do). I completely understand why this happens (if you're not keen on the marathon, you shouldn't do it), but I think most of our guys are waiting too long to test their abilities at the distance. If you like the idea of doing the marathon and think you might be suited to it, you should not be waiting till your late 20s or early 30s to give it a whirl. It can take a while to learn the ropes in training and racing the thing. If you start late, then get a couple of injuries or failed attempts, you can end up racing against the aging process to realize your full potential. If you like the idea of the marathon, and think it might be your best event, why not try one right out of school?

Two examples of people who did are Pete Fonseca and Dylan Wykes. We all know Dylan's story (a 29:00 guy who went 2:15 in his first try at age 23-24, then improved to 2:10 by age 28), but not many know Pete's. Pete ran a marathon in the spring of his 4th year of university and ran 2:12:19. He then went pro in Portugal and had several very lean years (but made good money and started a small import/export business!). He came back to Canada while still in his mid-20s and, in spite of the demands of law school, got himself down to 2:11:30, and won a few marathons outright in the process. Pete's official 10k and HM bests were very modest (28:54 and 1:03-4), but the average of his 4-5 best marathons was around 2:12. This is what's possible when you have an aptitude for the event and start prepping for it early. If you take an athlete with more inherent distance running ability than Pete and try the same approach (even allowing for the 2-3 lost years in the middle), you will easily have a sub-2:10 guy on your hands."

Oldster is spot on, no reason we should not have had 2:08/2:09 guys. I know everyone simply concluded Bairu was just not cut out for the marathon but he was someone that I believe had 2:06-2:07 potential (fairly similar track profile as Suguru) had it not been for some health complications--I think he alluded to issues that were not physical in nature similar to Ryan Hall.
    I think Cam gets it in his second attempt, it's just too much to ask for a guy that has been battling problems for almost 3 years now to run 2:10 on his first attempt. While Ahmed has shown no interest in ever running a marathon, I recall him saying as much on a podcast with Michael Rochus? When it is all said and done the guy who will come away with the record imo will be Flanagan, hes a guy who strikes me as a pure marathoner. Based on his outdoor season he is a 3:40/13:2x/28 flat type athlete right now, a few years to hone his track credentials and I think we can see something special from him in the marathon.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #28 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: eighthundred
    "Oldster is spot on, no reason we should not have had 2:08/2:09 guys. I know everyone simply concluded Bairu was just not cut out for the marathon but he was someone that I believe had 2:06-2:07 potential (fairly similar track profile as Suguru) had it not been for some health complications--I think he alluded to issues that were not physical in nature similar to Ryan Hall.
    I think Cam gets it in his second attempt, it's just too much to ask for a guy that has been battling problems for almost 3 years now to run 2:10 on his first attempt. While Ahmed has shown no interest in ever running a marathon, I recall him saying as much on a podcast with Michael Rochus? When it is all said and done the guy who will come away with the record imo will be Flanagan, hes a guy who strikes me as a pure marathoner. Based on his outdoor season he is a 3:40/13:2x/28 flat type athlete right now, a few years to hone his track credentials and I think we can see something special from him in the marathon."

I agree that Ben F. is an excellent candidate to get this done, and I think he might be the one holding it when the dust settles in a few years, even if someone like Levins-- or even Reid-- gets the first sub-2:10 (and wouldn't it be a bitch if one of these guys got if with a 2:10:00?). But I also think there is a strong possibility that some late high school or early university guy toiling in relative obscurity at the moment could emerge as a major talent. Other than the strong desire to do it, guys like Pete and Dylan did not really have anything that a dozen or so of their contemporaries did not also have-- and then some, in a few cases. My work with a guy like Eric Bang (an undistinguished CCAA athlete 4-5 years ago) has confirmed for me what's possible with fairly modest personal bests, a lot of drive to learn and train for the event, and sound programming. In four years Eric has gone from over 2:30 to 2:19:03, and this is in just three attempts, each one better than the last (and he will go faster soon-- his last 6 months have been far from ideal). Now, it's much easier to go from 2:30 to 2:19 than from 2:19 to 2:10, but I don't think it's harder at all to go from 2:16 to 2:10. I would bet that there are 20 young guys running in Canada (including U-Sports and the NCAA) who, with the right approach, have the bare physical ability to pull this off. It's more a question of understanding what's involved and being willing to fully commit to a 4-8 year process.

Guys, who among you will be willing to take the torch when it is finally thrown from the failing hands of its current holders? We seem to have a line-up of women ready to do so. What say you!?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #29 

Really Am Skuj said 1 week ago

I've enjoyed reading Reid's blog ever since he was Mr 5000m. I suggest to any aspiring high-level runners that you go and read this thoughtful, educational, enlightening work. Having said that, Reid has fallen silent over the last few months. Is he still training well for a Marathon? Nothing that this guy achieves shocks me. Could he pull of a PR / sub 2:10 at 39+? Sure he could!!

Cam will be 30 in March. He clearly loves training for the Marathon. He is ultra-focused on this right now. I believe that he will have a positive experience in Toronto, and we will see many Marathons from him in the next few years.

Is Toronto offering $$$ for the record?

Exciting times.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #30 

Really Am Skuj said 1 week ago

Reid appears on one of the posters for T.O. which (I forgot) serves as the Canadian Marathon Championships. I wonder if he is helping Cam? Or is he ready to go the distance and kill it?

Toronto deserves it's own thread.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #31 

Oldster said 1 week ago

"I've enjoyed reading Reid's blog ever since he was Mr 5000m. I suggest to any aspiring high-level runners that you go and read this thoughtful, educational, enlightening work. Having said that, Reid has fallen silent over the last few months. Is he still training well for a Marathon? Nothing that this guy achieves shocks me. Could he pull of a PR / sub 2:10 at 39+? Sure he could!!

Cam will be 30 in March. He clearly loves training for the Marathon. He is ultra-focused on this right now. I believe that he will have a positive experience in Toronto, and we will see many Marathons from him in the next few years.

Exciting times."

There's some great stuff on Reid in the latest issue of irun magazine. I don't know when the interviews were conducted, but he seemed on track for Toronto. This material confirms that, whatever his physical capabilities at the moment (largely beyond his control, as is always the case with older athletes), he still has what it takes psychologically--, and then some-- to run a PB. He clearly has not let himself slip into the "one last shot" mentality (which is usually an indication that the real last shot was actually two shots ago).

Quote comment
  • master2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #32 

Master2B said 1 week ago

Reid has mentioned repeatedly on social media he is racing in Toronto but not going for the record this fall.

Quote comment
  • cooperaa User since:
    Sep 25th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #33 

cooperaa said 1 week ago

Quoting: Master2B
    "Reid has mentioned repeatedly on social media he is racing in Toronto but not going for the record this fall."

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/cloud259/id600054472?mt=2&i=1000421172046

In that interview, Reid seemed to suggest 2:12-13 was his target for STWM based on his evaluation of his training so far.

Quote comment
  • meizner User since:
    Oct 8th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #34 

Meizner said 1 week ago

"I've enjoyed reading Reid's blog ever since he was Mr 5000m. I suggest to any aspiring high-level runners that you go and read this thoughtful, educational, enlightening work. Having said that, Reid has fallen silent over the last few months. Is he still training well for a Marathon? Nothing that this guy achieves shocks me. Could he pull of a PR / sub 2:10 at 39+? Sure he could!!

Exciting times."

His strava seems to indicate some pretty good consistent miles...

Last 4 Weeks
    Avg Distance / Week 173.6 km
    Avg Time / Week 12h 35m
    Avg Runs / Week 14
    All-Time PRs
    5k 13:21
    10k 27:56
    Half-Marathon 1:02:42
    Marathon 2:10:28

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #35 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

"My work with a guy like Eric Bang (an undistinguished CCAA athlete 4-5 years ago) has confirmed for me what's possible with fairly modest personal bests, a lot of drive to learn and train for the event, and sound programming."

Nice work. What do you think Eric's potential is? If, as in the other thread, the IAAF standards are used, do you think he has a chance to go to Tokyo? Or will there be 3 2:10-12ish guys? (Reid, Cam and ...Gillis again?)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #36 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Nice work. What do you think Eric's potential is? If, as in the other thread, the IAAF standards are used, do you think he has a chance to go to Tokyo? Or will there be 3 2:10-12ish guys? (Reid, Cam and ...Gillis again?)"

As I told him, Tokyo would be a long shot— but then, going sub2:20 seemed far more remote when we started out. I’m absolutely certain he can and will go faster, but I wouldn’t predict below 2:17 at this point. I’m sure we’ll see him on a team of some kind in the next 2 years. And young post-collegians could learn a lot about how to be a runner from this guy. He rolls with the punches as well as anyone I’ve ever seen.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #37 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "As I told him, Tokyo would be a long shot— but then, going sub2:20 seemed far more remote when we started out. I’m absolutely certain he can and will go faster, but I wouldn’t predict below 2:17 at this point. I’m sure we’ll see him on a team of some kind in the next 2 years. And young post-collegians could learn a lot about how to be a runner from this guy. He rolls with the punches as well as anyone I’ve ever seen."

Sorry, this was me, from my phone.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #38 

"I I would bet that there are 20 young guys running in Canada (including U-Sports and the NCAA) who, with the right approach, have the bare physical ability to pull this off. It's more a question of understanding what's involved and being willing to fully commit to a 4-8 year process.

Guys, who among you will be willing to take the torch when it is finally thrown from the failing hands of its current holders? We seem to have a line-up of women ready to do so. What say you!?"

Got any names to throw out there as a challenge?

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1