Bring back the red thumb?

Show Original Post
  • speedyredbull User since:
    Oct 22nd, 2015
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #26 

Speedyredbull said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Please start a new thread. It is simple to do.
    Your "contribution" is simply a deflection and has nothing to do with the red/green thumb issue."

Grumpy ;) ..but I might take your suggestion when I have more time to appropriately start a productive thread on the topic :)

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #27 

Obvious said 1 week ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "It's not at all interesting when someone simply agrees with something. Simple agreement doesn't add anything at all to what's been said. When someone disagrees with something, on the other hand, it instantly follows that we would like to know why; disagreement implies that something different, or more, should have been said. Simple agreement merely means that nothing more need be said-- or else the person agreeing would simply have added that missing thing.
    "

With respect to the above, for the person/bot who wrote:

"And with a green thumb, it is not clear WHY one agrees."

I agree with what Oldster said because it is rational and makes sense. (Your post does not.)

Does that tell you anything more than a green thumbs up?

Can you elaborate on what more can be said to express agreement other than repeating exactly what Oldster already wrote?

A green thumb is someone saying that what has been written expresses the same thought/feeling they had. They have nothing further that can be added.

A red thumb doesn't say what of the multitude of contrary opinions the thumb clicker actually has.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #28 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: Speedyredbull
    "Grumpy ;) ..but I might take your suggestion when I have more time to appropriately start a productive thread on the topic :)"

Don't listen to him. The red thumb thing and anonymous posting are interrelated. I'm pretty certain that people who liked the red thumb also really like anonymity, and for exactly the same reason. I guess you could be in against the red thumb and in favour of anonymity, but you're not likely to see someone who is against anonymity and in favour of the red thumb function. If you're not afraid to own your comments, you have no need for the red thumb function.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #29 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Message boards often use this +1/-1 functionality for good reason - support for a post is more accurately measured. The green thumb doesn't encourage discussion any more than the red thumb. The only logical conclusion from your statements below would be to remove the green thumb.

Any post with an aggregate score of -50 (or whatever the mods choose) could be automatically removed, anonymous or registered. So when TT posts and people click the red thumb enough, it gets removed.

Quoting: Oldster
    "But let's be clear: A discussion board should be about discussion. We shouldn't need this other function (graphic binaries). But, if the owners of the forum would like to have one, it should be the one that best encourages actual discussion. The red thumb does not do this. It merely encourages the cowardice and laziness inherent in anonymous posting itself, by adding yet another way to act out without consequence.

And to whoever said that a red thumb function might have led to the removal of TTs posts, how would that have worked after he started posting anonymously? A forum that allows anonymous posting and is also auto-moderated by a "red thumb" function would, perversely, punish those of us who post from registered accounts, as per the whim of the anonymous mob. It's a stupid idea. If you want a robust "red thumb" function, you should also have the courage to post from a registered, non-anonymous account."

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #30 

Quoting: Obvious
    "Surely you are not suggesting that a critical mass of anonymous message board users are able to get access to the code and setup of the message board page to implement their consensus with regards to yay/nay on coloured thumbs?

How could it not be a decision TOTALLY made by the trackie.ca message board owner?

With respect to the thread subject, the argument that red and green thumbs are interchangeable with respect to whether they merit someone actually putting together and expressing a coherent thought in words doesn't make sense.

A green thumb is saying 'yes, I agree with the point made in this comment'.

A red thumb is saying 'no, I don't agree', but it is not at all clear WHY one doesn't agree.

Is it because the poster can't string together an understandable sentence?

Is it because the poster dissed you on another thread and you just want to strike back?

Is it because the idea expressed is not practical?

Is it because the idea may be a valid one, but you happen to have an equally valid contrary idea?

Those are vastly different opinions, but a simple red thumb says nothing about what one it might be."

I did not see any reference to anonymous posters. One could easily read it as posters using their "real names", grayed out names, or cute names, Notice that the original poster has not returned to this thread. Notice also that it is usually the same poster (not anonymous) that is at the end.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #31 

My sorry. You did return, Buddy, in reply #16. Missed that.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #32 

red thumb would be good so everyone can downvote troll takahashi. beyond that, it allows for people to take snipes without adding anything constructive

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #33 

"red thumb would be good so everyone can downvote troll takahashi. beyond that, it allows for people to take snipes without adding anything constructive"

Troll Takahashi is one of many that deserves/desrved the red thumb. May even include me ?

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #34 

"red thumb would be good so everyone can downvote troll takahashi. beyond that, it allows for people to take snipes without adding anything constructive"

It only takes snipes if you allow yourself to view it that way I guess.

Quite the atmosphere on these boards if people take offense to red thumbs and view it as something personal rather than an, "I disagree."

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1