You are viewing page of 2.

Discussion Forum >>

Elementary School Track & Field Super Meet
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 2
Report  ORIGINAL

Opinion, Not Hate said 1 month ago

Canadian Running Mag- Voice Of The Running Community, Or Nah?

Show Original Post
  • milesdavisandthecool User since:
    Jan 21st, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #26 

MilesDavisAndTheCool said 1 month ago

Quoting: oldlegs
    "I am just happy that I don't have to wait 3 months for an Athletics Magazine to be delivered to my house in September (by snail mail) to read about the Canadian Jr results that occurred in June. Seriously, for my first 15 years in the sport that WAS how it was. We should all be grateful for the coverage we get, nearly instantaneously. CR is doing a very good job balancing the jogging "couch to 5k" crowd with the elite stuff. Trackie, AI, FloTrack and and an amazing aggregation machine like Letsrun, all make track-life so much more fun and enjoyable that I don't think most of the young people on this board understand how just good they truly have it."

Ok, but seriously, just because things were crappy back then doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more from our publications now???

Quote comment
  • mjd User since:
    Oct 11th, 2013
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #27 

MJD said 1 month ago

Quoting: MilesDavisAndTheCool
    "Ok, but seriously, just because things were crappy back then doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more from our publications now???"

No but anyone like me and oldlegs who have been through what he describes do get a chuckle out of people who whine when they don't get results within 10 seconds of people finishing a race(mentioned somewhere on this site lately).

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #28 

Oldster said 1 month ago

Quoting: oldlegs
    "I am just happy that I don't have to wait 3 months for an Athletics Magazine to be delivered to my house in September (by snail mail) to read about the Canadian Jr results that occurred in June. Seriously, for my first 15 years in the sport that WAS how it was. We should all be grateful for the coverage we get, nearly instantaneously. CR is doing a very good job balancing the jogging "couch to 5k" crowd with the elite stuff. Trackie, AI, FloTrack and and an amazing aggregation machine like Letsrun, all make track-life so much more fun and enjoyable that I don't think most of the young people on this board understand how just good they truly have it."

Yeah, in terms of media coverage, we could be living in a golden age for our sport. I'm not talking about major national media coverage (which only the big money pro sports really enjoy); I'm talking about serious fan-targeted coverage, such as we get from LRC, Flotrack, and yes, Trackie. I sometimes have to pinch myself when watching a livestreamed track meet from California, with 500 fans in physical attendance, from the comfort of my home. If someone had described this to me 30 years ago I would have wondered what futuristic fantasy land they were hallucinating about.

And yeah, there's a generation gap in this thread. There's also a little thing called historical perspective. Again, I'm not against people complaining, but they should do so with an proper awareness of how far things have come in such a short time.

And to the person who complained that CR doesn't address any content to "under 20s", you need to familiarize yourself with the economics of publishing, then ask yourself a few basic questions, such as: "How much gear do I buy?"; "How many road races have I paid to enter?"; and maybe, "When's the last time I bought an expensive running vacation"? There is a viable economic model for covering the youth side of the sport (see Dyestat or Runnerspace), but it sure ain't a print mag. And as for your suggestion that CR will die along with its demographic: 1. If it lasted that much longer (20-25 more years) it would be considered a massive success in publishing; and 2. I think you fail to understand something basic about aging that every marketing person (not to say ever person who has ever aged past adolescence) knows: That when you age, you change. One day you might hear someone say to you "Welcome to your CR years" and know exactly what he/she is talking about!

Quote comment
  • athletics-illustrated User since:
    Mar 28th, 2017
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #29 

Athletics Illustrated said 1 month ago

Wow. This thread is growing....

Thanks for the nice words.

I cannot get through my day without buzzing a few news sites. I used to - up to about 10 years ago - from a very early age, not get through a day without the newspaper. In fact, when I was on the road a lot, I would not sit down at a restaurant until I had something to read.

The standard of journalism was different before the internet, in that there were print publications but fewer sources, although because they were paper products, there seemed to be a plethora, in comparison to the mighty-mighty interwebs, really it was scorched earth and slow-going BUT!!! BUT! the expectations were for it to be slow-going, so the journalists and editors had more time to write well.

Today, there are some great writers, as have always been, but there is a whole boat-load of poorly written content. Part of the problem is the race to get the news published before the competition as well as pump out more volume for the clicks and fantastical headlines and first paragraphs to click bait readers.

But the cream always seems to rise to the top. I think the 80-20 rule will shake out here eventually, it always seems to. The New York Times, Washington Post, The New Yorker, The Globe and Mail, the Guardian are all quality products of yesteryear's standards.

When the owner of Amazon bought the Post, what was the first thing he did that goes directly against the grain of the industry?

Hired a wack of editors. I had this discussion with my son last night, who has contributed to every publication in Canada, just about and was the editor of Ad Busters for a year.

If you chase the money as a publisher - with a publisher's mind - you will get some of that money, but have no foundation on which to stand on. The audience will eventually go away.

During the 1970s, the publishers started to take over from the editors as the decision makers and the slow decline began. I know the editorial dept in newsrooms hate it when a publisher or salesperson or marketer come over with suggestions. Persona non-grata. Never shall the two twain.

The Washington Post is doing very well. The New York Times paywall model apparently is working very well. Yes, they advertise to get subscribers, but they have a foundation of quality editorial content that you cannot get anywhere else. They stand on a quality product, they don't chase money; the money finds them (sort-of-speak).

Journalism is the last line of truth. Trust me when I tell you that major change takes place in politics, sports, religion, crime etc etc etc - monumental change - happens when the media report on it with well-prepared, thought-provoking editorial content.

In sports a few examples are BALCO, Armstrong, Russian doping/banning, Kenyan doping. None of that change would have happened without media. Doping has been obvious in athletics since the 1970s and nothing monumental was ever done or was going to be done about it.

Anyway, you just have to learn to weed out the TMZs, click baiters and fake news sites. And this is not new at all - in the grocery aisle, you can still see the remnants of that deplorable pulp fiction....the Enquirer, The Star, People etc, they were what TMZ, click baiters and fake news used to be.

Rambling.....anyway I think CRM has greatly improved. There is little else out there. Subscribe to CRM it's cheap. They do indeed follow the Canadian Style journalistic standards and provide a quality product.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #30 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "Yeah, in terms of media coverage, we could be living in a golden age for our sport. I'm not talking about major national media coverage (which only the big money pro sports really enjoy); I'm talking about serious fan-targeted coverage, such as we get from LRC, Flotrack, and yes, Trackie. I sometimes have to pinch myself when watching a livestreamed track meet from California, with 500 fans in physical attendance, from the comfort of my home. If someone had described this to me 30 years ago I would have wondered what futuristic fantasy land they were hallucinating about.

And yeah, there's a generation gap in this thread. There's also a little thing called historical perspective. Again, I'm not against people complaining, but they should do so with an proper awareness of how far things have come in such a short time.

And to the person who complained that CR doesn't address any content to "under 20s", you need to familiarize yourself with the economics of publishing, then ask yourself a few basic questions, such as: "How much gear do I buy?"; "How many road races have I paid to enter?"; and maybe, "When's the last time I bought an expensive running vacation"? There is a viable economic model for covering the youth side of the sport (see Dyestat or Runnerspace), but it sure ain't a print mag. And as for your suggestion that CR will die along with its demographic: 1. If it lasted that much longer (20-25 more years) it would be considered a massive success in publishing; and 2. I think you fail to understand something basic about aging that every marketing person (not to say ever person who has ever aged past adolescence) knows: That when you age, you change. One day you might hear someone say to you "Welcome to your CR years" and know exactly what he/she is talking about!"

It was less of a complaint and more of an observation I made. A few answers to the basics. My parents buy shoes and the gear. They like running because I like it. They're not into buying or reading running magazines, or planning running trips or entering road races. They have their
    own and different interests.

I feel like the magazine is BC heavy, and maybe for good reason. But this magazine does not bring me up to speed on all the great high schoolers in Canada. Maybe they can dedicate this as an additional section and track it.

Trackie is good and all for some stuff but a lot of seems like it is whining about high school runners.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #31 

Andrew Jones said 1 month ago

Today, there are some great writers, as have always been, but there is a whole boat-load of poorly written content. Part of the problem is the race to get the news published before the competition as well as pump out more volume for the clicks and fantastical headlines and first paragraphs to click bait readers.

Agreed -- most of us "generation gapped" types cling, white-knuckled, to the J-School tenets of yesteryear: Silly stuff (he says sarcastically) like balanced reporting, establishing and communicating context, and working a story from the outside in.

I love the immediacy of the new media; I sometimes find its content dubious.

Again though, each of us creates a "my media" and we pick and choose according to our preferences. My hope is that the choices remain 1) varied, and 2) accurate.

Quote comment
  • milesdavisandthecool User since:
    Jan 21st, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #32 

MilesDavisAndTheCool said 1 month ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "Yeah, in terms of media coverage, we could be living in a golden age for our sport. I'm not talking about major national media coverage (which only the big money pro sports really enjoy); I'm talking about serious fan-targeted coverage, such as we get from LRC, Flotrack, and yes, Trackie. I sometimes have to pinch myself when watching a livestreamed track meet from California, with 500 fans in physical attendance, from the comfort of my home. If someone had described this to me 30 years ago I would have wondered what futuristic fantasy land they were hallucinating about.

And to the person who complained that CR doesn't address any content to "under 20s", you need to familiarize yourself with the economics of publishing, then ask yourself a few basic questions, such as: "How much gear do I buy?"; "How many road races have I paid to enter?"; and maybe, "When's the last time I bought an expensive running vacation"? There is a viable economic model for covering the youth side of the sport (see Dyestat or Runnerspace), but it sure ain't a print mag. And as for your suggestion that CR will die along with its demographic: 1. If it lasted that much longer (20-25 more years) it would be considered a massive success in publishing; and 2. I think you fail to understand something basic about aging that every marketing person (not to say ever person who has ever aged past adolescence) knows: That when you age, you change. One day you might hear someone say to you "Welcome to your CR years" and know exactly what he/she is talking about!"

Just because it may be better that it used to be, doen't mean it's good enough yet for me to buy it (or even read it on line). However, more effectively than writing on a message board, I will do my capitalist part and continue to not spend my cash/time on a magazine that probably isn't for me anyway (even though, bizarrely enough, I spend a sizeable chunk of time doing the thing they say they're about). Cheers!

P.S If I ever pick up a magazine on hockey, I'm going to be pissed if most of it is about beer leaguers.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #33 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

As one of the older generation, one of the better "new-generation" things that Canadian Running did lately was their video coverage of the Canadian Cross Country Championships. Splicing together the highlight moments of each race, putting in a musical background, letting the running and the competition speak for themselves; it must have been a lot of on-the-ground work and video editing. In 5 minutes or so, the highlights of each race and the emotions of the day were nicely captured in each video, and all available on YouTube.

Quote comment
  • athletics-illustrated User since:
    Mar 28th, 2017
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #34 

Athletics Illustrated said 1 month ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "As one of the older generation, one of the better "new-generation" things that Canadian Running did lately was their video coverage of the Canadian Cross Country Championships. Splicing together the highlight moments of each race, putting in a musical background, letting the running and the competition speak for themselves; it must have been a lot of on-the-ground work and video editing. In 5 minutes or so, the highlights of each race and the emotions of the day were nicely captured in each video, and all available on YouTube."

One very minor detail: If we don't want to pay out of pocket to watch the CRM video of the xc nationals for example, then one nit-picky comment - and it almost sounds silly mentioning it here, but it counts, is: Please watch the video at CRM's site, so CRM gets ad impressions while you view the video that is hosted at YouTube. YouTube pays so little and not at all depending on some new rules.

Same with anywhere else. I know I have edited up enough race videos that it is slave labour, but a labour of love.....

Quote comment
  • michaelrochus User since:
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #35 

MichaelRochus said 1 month ago

Interesting that no one besides the OP has brought up Leslie's thoughts on this sales line, so here is the link to last week's show: https://www.trackie.com/track-and-field/TrackieRadio/the-terminal-mile-epi-88-leslie-sexton-and-sergio-raez-villanueva/1204/
    It may not be 5 ways to improve your 5k, 10 reasons why you should totally date a runner, or anything to do with a remote ultramarathon, but the two runners on are two of my favorites to watch, so there's that...

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #36 

justsayin99 said 1 month ago

1 in 12 issues has a man on the front cover :)

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #37 

MargaretB said 1 month ago

There is no one voice of running in Canada. There are many. There is good and bad about that. Mostly good. Canadian Running is solid though.

As for Kelsall. I don't know what he is doing wasting time writing about running as he should be writing for Saturday Night Live, or the Onion and comedians. You will know what I mean if you follow him on fb. Some of his rants are so amazing and original they cause involuntary peeing they are so ridiculously funny.

Anyone here read it?

This post was edited by a Moderator [Issues] 1 month ago . 
    Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1