the roadie said 3 years ago

Chiba selection revisited

Show Original Post
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #51 

Oldster said 3 years ago

Slight correction: It turns out that Dylan did not, in fact, have another fracture coming out of Chiba (I didn't read his whole blog post about it; that was just the last thing I heard about it, and assumed it had been another fracture, since he had already had two in that area, and ended up being off again for quite a while).

In any case, it doesn't make much difference. For all anyone knew at the time, he could have had a fracture. I was attempting to consider a hypothetical. If it had not been Dylan, it could easily have been someone else. It's true that it was Reid's responsibility to run if called upon (and I would not question his willingness to do so); but, it would have been the athlete in question (with input from the head coach) who would have been responsible for making that decision, not Reid. Again, who would have wanted to be the guy who made Reid run Chiba the week before Fukuoka? And it would not have mattered how much Reid insisted that he was ready to go. The point is, the very potential for this kind of situation should never have been created in the first place, for very good reason.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #52 

Oldster said 3 years ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Alright now I feel like we're grasping at straws. This is a no win scenario for Reid. First it's his fault for choosing to be alternate. Then it's his fault for saying he wouldn't go "to the well". Now it's his fault that others athletes would feel pressured to race? I call BS.

These are elite runners. Chances are, the biggest source of motivation/pressure to race is themselves, not Reid's looming marathon. Regardless of Dylan's blog, I just don't buy that one of them would say "Hmmm... I don't feel great today, I'm pretty banged up and something doesn't feel right. Racing this thing could risk my indoor/early outdoor season... But shoot, Reid has a race in a week, so I better line-up."

No one is that selfless. Full stop. If Dylan/Alex/Chris or anyone else really felt they weren't up to racing, they wouldn't race. I don't buy for one second that an elite athlete would risk their own goals/seasons because the alternate had a race coming up."

No one would do run if they KNEW running would hurt them long term; but how often do we KNOW something is going to hurt us badly. Do you think Lanni Marchant would have run that HM with a sore quad if she KNEW her femur was going to break almost clean through? The point is, runners are notorious for misjudging these kinds of things. And if you don't think a runner would consider another runner's interests in a situation like this, even just a little-- enough to influence their thinking on something like this-- then you don't know runners very well.

Quote comment
  • coldneck User since:
    Apr 1st, 2006
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #53 

coldneck said 3 years ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "No one would do run if they KNEW running would hurt them long term; but how often do we KNOW something is going to hurt us badly. Do you think Lanni Marchant would have run that HM with a sore quad if she KNEW her femur was going to break almost clean through? The point is, runners are notorious for misjudging these kinds of things. And if you don't think a runner would consider another runner's interests in a situation like this, even just a little-- enough to influence their thinking on something like this-- then you don't know runners very well."

http://www.trackie.com/track-and-field/Forum/duchene-fractured-femur/10174/

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #54 

Oldster said 3 years ago

Also, anonymous, do you see the irony in accepting that an elite runner could be selfless enough to give up a spot on the team that he earned, and presumably would like to have used, so that no one would have to travel a long distance without getting to race (which I assume you do), yet arguing that no elite runner could be selfless enough to consider, even a little bit, the interests of a team mate about to attempt the race his life?

For the record, I believe both are entirely plausible.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #55 

Oldster said 3 years ago

Quoting: coldneck
    "http://www.trackie.com/track-and-field/Forum/duchene-fractured-femur/10174/"

Sorry, Krista Duchene. Those two have become interchangeable in my mind.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #56 

Anonymous said 1 year ago

I got here from a long thread on Letsrun. It seems to be all over the place, but mentions the Run Canada program that provided funding to Canadian Marathon runners in 2012. Is that program still in place to support 2016 Olympic Marathon runners?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #57 

Run Canada? said 1 year ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "I got here from a long thread on Letsrun. It seems to be all over the place, but mentions the Run Canada program that provided funding to Canadian Marathon runners in 2012. Is that program still in place to support 2016 Olympic Marathon runners?"

Can anyone confirm if the Run Canada program was a 1 year thing or if the program is in effect again for the 2016 Olympics?

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #58 

Buddy said 1 month ago

You think?

Quoting: RealestAtRunnin
    "If an athlete is not going to give 100% at a big event like this, they do not deserve to go, no matter how fast they are. No one athlete should be placed on a pedestal above the team. The whole situation is appalling to read for any athlete who would give their heart and soul to represent their country at Chiba. The Speed River club seems to have excessive control at times regarding Athletics Canada based decisions."

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #59 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

""Was there really no one in Canada at the time of selection willing to act as alternate who could have gone faster than a tempo-running Reid? "

OK, so now I was going to tempo Chiba. That is not fair at all to say. I never said that."

"Dylan and I talked about this quite a bit. I told the team what time I was comfortable running and Dylan assured me he was willing to aim for a faster time."

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #60 

memories said 1 month ago

I miss oldster on here

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1