NACAC Coaching
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Mar 17th, 2014
thumbs_up 2
Report  ORIGINAL

Lobster said 6 months ago

Commonwealth team looks strong

6 multi event athletes shows our progress is very good in these disciplines. Seems that there are no women’s relays, nor a men’ s 4 x 4. Also, no hurdlers. Nice to see Adam Keenan in HT. It seems that some athletes are concentrating on the NCAA this winter. The timing of the games is definitely tricky , in the middle of our winter, and university semester. Then again, the Southern Hemisphere athletes are usually at a disadvantage during our normal summer peak.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #1 

Anonymous said 6 months ago

We will see.

Distance events will not produce much for obvious reasons (ie. The Africans) and sprints be like usual just eliminate the Americans and you have the results.

We had our hopes up at the WC not withstanding the illness that descended upon a few nations and it was a dismal showing.

If we mess the bed in April the vultures will be circling.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #2 

Too bad Drouin is not on the list, I guess not recovered from his injury. Multis and field events have been of late the best bets.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #3 

To be honest, I think the full complement of multis says less about our progress in these disciplines, and more about the relative lack of depth in those events globally. The AC standard required you to be 98% of the 5th ranked athlete from a Commonwealth nation. I'm willing to bet it is much easier to hit that criteria as a decathlete than say, a middle distance athlete who will naturally have the top 3 spots taken by Kenyan and other African nation athletes (Uganda, South Africa etc.), or a sprinter who has the powerhouse Jamaican team to compete against.

And I think it is less to do with NCAA athletes focusing on their collegiate season (although many probably would have chosen to do that regardless) than the fact that many of them would not have hit the criteria for the CWG (for example, Justyn Knight would not qualify despite his performance at Worlds)

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

Lobster said 6 months ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "To be honest, I think the full complement of multis says less about our progress in these disciplines, and more about the relative lack of depth in those events globally. The AC standard required you to be 98% of the 5th ranked athlete from a Commonwealth nation. I'm willing to bet it is much easier to hit that criteria as a decathlete than say, a middle distance athlete who will naturally have the top 3 spots taken by Kenyan and other African nation athletes (Uganda, South Africa etc.), or a sprinter who has the powerhouse Jamaican team to compete against.

And I think it is less to do with NCAA athletes focusing on their collegiate season (although many probably would have chosen to do that regardless) than the fact that many of them would not have hit the criteria for the CWG (for example, Justyn Knight would not qualify despite his performance at Worlds)"

I respectfully disagree. Much as the Caribbean athletes have a reputation for sprinters, and the Rift Valley athletes for endurance, Canada has long had a strong reputation in multis. I’m not going to go through the list, but suffice to say that we are consistently in the medals. Our sprints, jumps and throws are consistently good, as are our 800m runners, and relays.
    Believe me there is no lack of depth Worldwide in multis. The Carrabians, Africans, Japanese, and Oz / Kiwis have shown much improvement.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #5 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "To be honest, I think the full complement of multis says less about our progress in these disciplines, and more about the relative lack of depth in those events globally. The AC standard required you to be 98% of the 5th ranked athlete from a Commonwealth nation. I'm willing to bet it is much easier to hit that criteria as a decathlete than say, a middle distance athlete who will naturally have the top 3 spots taken by Kenyan and other African nation athletes (Uganda, South Africa etc.), or a sprinter who has the powerhouse Jamaican team to compete against.

And I think it is less to do with NCAA athletes focusing on their collegiate season (although many probably would have chosen to do that regardless) than the fact that many of them would not have hit the criteria for the CWG (for example, Justyn Knight would not qualify despite his performance at Worlds)"

Unfortunately your statement could be easily reversed and say that Canada's middle distance and sprints are week due to the others countries consistently medaling. Never the less I believe AC set out the best criteria to allow them the opportunity to win as many medals as they can without being able to send a full team.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #6 

Negative Nancy said 6 months ago

Quoting: Lobster
    "Our sprints, jumps and throws are consistently good, as are our 800m runners, and relays.
    "

Definitely agree re: throws and relays. But what competitive jumpers do we have outside of Mason and Drouin? Bit of a stretch to say our jumps are consistently good, when we don't qualify anyone for international competitions in most of the jumping disciplines... Likewise, it's only the last 2-3 years where Bishop and McBride have really developed (look at Bishop at the last CWG as an example). So again, hard to argue that we are consistently producing in these areas.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1