International-conference-of-athletics-excellence
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Jun 25th, 2013
thumbs_up 28
Report  ORIGINAL

bonstad said 1 week ago

Gabriela

Her run on Saturday must go down as one of the greatest, and most surprising, in Canadian history. Yes, she only came 6th, but this was the fastest 1500m race for women in history and Gabriela was right there. Be honest, at the start of the year, who would have predicted the Gabriela would run 2.5 seconds under the World Championship record in the WC in Doha? What a great year for her.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #1 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: bonstad
    "Her run on Saturday must go down as one of the greatest, and most surprising, in Canadian history. Yes, she only came 6th, but this was the fastest 1500m race for women in history and Gabriela was right there. Be honest, at the start of the year, who would have predicted the Gabriela would run 2.5 seconds under the World Championship record in the WC in Doha? What a great year for her."

She rocks!!!!! Such a big fan! Truly shows what hard work, guys and belief in yourself can do. Definitely inspires the next and current generation of Canadian athletes! Already pumped for Tokyo 2020!!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 16
    Report    REPLY #2 

Certainly Not Skuj said 1 week ago

Quoting: bonstad
    "Her run on Saturday must go down as one of the greatest, and most surprising, in Canadian history. Yes, she only came 6th, but this was the fastest 1500m race for women in history and Gabriela was right there. Be honest, at the start of the year, who would have predicted the Gabriela would run 2.5 seconds under the World Championship record in the WC in Doha? What a great year for her."

This WC final was fantastic. (She's pissed at being 6th!!) G is an inspiration, on and off the track. She made big changes in her athletics life during the last year, because she recognized that she needed to do something very different in order to be the best that she can be. Kudos to her for her wisdom in all of this. She is wise far beyond her years.

4:03 in 2017 was brilliant. But she stalled / regressed in 2018, for reasons that she documents. It was absolutely not surprising at all that she improved on her PR in 2019 after making the big leap/change. 4:02....4:01....4:00.....3:59 did not surprise me at all. On one of her 4:00 races, she did 58ish on the last lap!!! I immediately believed that she was in 3:57 shape because of this. (And her 3:59 race resembled an accordian!)

3:56.12 was a shock though. But, that whole final was a shock. It was Olympics-2012-M800-final worthy. I'm sure that G is still in shock.

I'm obviously a huge G fan. As I said, she inspires on and off the track. Her insta account is a revelation.....a wonderful book.

But also, her father was doing great things in running when I was in HS. We were at the same meets from time to time, and I watched him in awe. One day, after a meet in Toronto, I happened to be on the same Go-train coach as Jamie Stafford. We had a wonderful talk as we travelled east, me to home, he to some friend/family thing, I'll never forget this. I was star-struck. :)

G reminds me so much of Jamie in interviews. It's such a beautiful thing. :)

This is such an exciting time in Canadian Athletics. Doha saw much brilliance. Cam Levins will run Toronto again, soon.

Pinch me!!!

Quote comment
  • powerboy User since:
    Dec 11th, 2014
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #3 

powerboy said 1 week ago

You guys beat me to it! I was going to post a note to praise Gabriela. Not only this race was off the charts, but her entire year-from beginning to end. I have watched/run/coached for a long time, and I don't recall a better season by any middle distance runner ever. The records speak for themselves, and they were all big reductions in good records. Gabriela made it a joy to watch the Diamond league races all year, knowing that she could run with anyone. lets hope she can stay healthy and rebuild for next year.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

PerryG said 1 week ago

Quoting: powerboy
    "You guys beat me to it! I was going to post a note to praise Gabriela. Not only this race was off the charts, but her entire year-from beginning to end. I have watched/run/coached for a long time, and I don't recall a better season by any middle distance runner ever. The records speak for themselves, and they were all big reductions in good records. Gabriela made it a joy to watch the Diamond league races all year, knowing that she could run with anyone. lets hope she can stay healthy and rebuild for next year."

I agree and I think Gabriela can hold every record indoors and out from 800 to 5000 metres. She made her 4:01 semi look so easy! I am looking forward to next year!

Quote comment
  • meizner User since:
    Oct 8th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #5 

Meizner said 1 week ago

Her time was also under the old American Record-- a country with many many great 1500 runners.

Quote comment
  • natd User since:
    Feb 7th, 2018
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #6 

NatD said 1 week ago

One thing to note is Gabriela hasn’t had a full year training with Andy Young’s group in Scotland. She came back to Toronto in Dec 2018 to spring 2019 to finish her degree. I’m excited to see what she can do with consistent training.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitrr User since:
    May 16th, 2014
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #7 

rr said 1 week ago

Gabriela was doing Andy's training when she was here. The thing that most people don't know is that G did not start training until the Fall of her Grade 10 year, and at that time her PB was 5:09 from doing a bit of running with her school. That would be the Fall of 2010 so she has had 9 years of formal training, and as has been mentioned elsewhere she missed big chunks of training here and there with various injuries. The other thing that a lot of people don't know is what type of competitor she is, but of course I assume that all the women at that level are equally as tough. Not only does she have to be tough to survive Andy's training (I saw a few workouts during the Winter and they were pretty nasty) but she has to be just as tough competing repeatedly against the best in the World this year, and I think that that is what has really brought out the best in her

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1