Report  ORIGINAL

Oldster said 3 years ago

Gender Equality in XC, Redux

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #701 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

In the States they used to conduct "postal 2 mile runs" where athletes would race a 2 mile at their home track and mail in the results. I think this was done at the high school,level. It may still be a thing. Not sure.

Women's teams who believe in equal distance can conduct a 2K at home a couple of weeks before Nationals. Add the 8K USports times to create a 10K time. Post the results on this board and send a message. A 10K of sorts and at least as credible as a so called championship that doesn't respect female athletes. The fight for equality goes on only if the party who wants equal treatment decides they aren't going to accept the status quo anymore.

FYI this kind of an easy one. It's not that hard to see that women and men should run the same distance. Pick a distance 4K, 6K, 8K, 10K, 12K or whatever and make it the same for men and women.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #702 

For Women's teams who believe in equal distances run a 2K at home (conduct a "postal meet") a couple of weeks before Nationals. Add the 2K times to the 8K USports race times. Post the results for the 10K. The women have to send a message that unequal treatment is unacceptable or else the will keep getting the status quo.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #703 

At OUAs or Nationals run a 2K for solidarity same day of the race as part of the warm up. Call yourselves "The 10". Run ten across in as many rows as needed to accommodate all women and supporters who believe in equality. Run the 2K at a slow warm up pace. Complete the 2K all together - all members of The 10 get the same 2K time. Add this 2K solidarity run time to the 8K results.

The women can have their equal 10K if they want to. It won't be given to you. You will have to take action - not debate the issue.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #704 

They think womans participation is down now. It's only going to get worse as these trans gender and inter sex athletes (men) are allowed to compete against women.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #705 

It should clearly be the same distance for M/F races. I’d rather see 8/8 and focus more on building speed for uni athletes.

But, any thought that changing the distance to be equal will have any long term positive or negative impact is wishful thinking. It won’t empower women to join XC running, or strive for greater success. It’s quite different than the current push to have equal events and numbers at the Olympics. In those cases they are actually adding women’s events and creating new opportunity. Racing 6k vs 10k won’t change anything in the long run.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #706 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "At OUAs or Nationals run a 2K for solidarity same day of the race as part of the warm up.."

Nationals xc is 10k and 10k already.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #707 

Oldster said 1 week ago

"It should clearly be the same distance for M/F races. I’d rather see 8/8 and focus more on building speed for uni athletes.

But, any thought that changing the distance to be equal will have any long term positive or negative impact is wishful thinking. It won’t empower women to join XC running, or strive for greater success. It’s quite different than the current push to have equal events and numbers at the Olympics. In those cases they are actually adding women’s events and creating new opportunity. Racing 6k vs 10k won’t change anything in the long run."

While the impact may be small, it's unduly pessimistic to say the Canadian university XC distance "won't change anything". The numbers of post-collegiate women attempting the longer distances in Canada is currently so desperately small that even a handful more who might gain the confidence to try, as a result of having an opportunity to try their hand at 10k XC while in school, could have a significant impact on this event range. I've already seen this impact in the 1s and 2s just within my own program. Look at this this way: no one would say that dropping the Canadian University men's XC distance down to 6k would have no effect at all on Canadian men's long distance racing (10k to marathon). We'd still produce a few good 10k and marathon runners, but the numbers would almost certainly decrease over the years. And the proportion coming out of the NCAA would increase dramatically as the total numbers fell (something that is already the case on the women's side, albeit in small numbers).

Quote comment
  • weather User since:
    Oct 30th, 2013
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #708 

Weather said 1 week ago

From the experience of equalizing distance at the high school level the unarguable point is to have boys and girls run the same distance, no matter what. We made the distances halfway between the two original sets to cut through the argument. I believe it has moved along with little issue. Participation numbers are holding steady from the areas keeping stats and the quality has not suffered for those athletes moving on to post secondary. The line of discussion that swings back and forth on how it impacts the small percentage of university athletes who hope to pursue post collegiate running should not interfere with the guiding principle of equal distances.

Quote comment
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #709 

SteveWeiler said 1 week ago

Quoting: Weather
    "From the experience of equalizing distance at the high school level the unarguable point is to have boys and girls run the same distance, no matter what. We made the distances halfway between the two original sets to cut through the argument. I believe it has moved along with little issue. Participation numbers are holding steady..."

I believe we can make the same positive comments regarding the changes at the Canadian XC Championships, in which only the women's distances changed - increasing to 10k. It appears to have 'moved along with little issue', participation numbers have held nicely throughout this and the previous women's distance increase.

So, we have seen positive outcomes from two different methods: a compromise that decreases the boys distances and a single change that increases the women's distances.

One notable difference: OFSAA XC is not a selection race, while USports XC and Canadian XC are selection races. Canadian XC has aligned with the championship distance hosted by it's global body. As Oldster pointed out, the Canadian FISU XC team will be selecting 10k competitors from an 8k trial.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #710 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: SteveWeiler
    . As Oldster pointed out, the Canadian FISU XC team will be selecting 10k competitors from an 8k trial."

In the end, this is probably the most frustrating part of the whole process for me. No one would deny that opinions on 8 versus 10 were very evenly divided within the U-Sport coaches association. This should have meant that U-Sports (Sport Committee) would then look for clear and neutral "tie-breaking" criteria. The fact that the NSO, following the IAAF, recommends 10 and 10 for senior athletes should have been that clear and neutral criterion. On this basis alone, this issue should never have been referred beyond the Sport Committee level. But that the international governing body for university sport also recommends 10 and 10 should have made it a complete no-brainer for any committee looking to decide the thing in a way that could not seriously be questioned. After all, none of the objections of the 8 and 8 faction had any basis in fact. Women's participation levels, for instance, did not drop in the 3 year move from 5 to 8k-- a much higher percentage increase than from 8 to 10.

This post was edited by Oldster 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #711 

Hold up, I thought this was decided last year. So CIS is now 8 and 8? I would be pissed if I was a male competitor. So much history of being 10 km for a championship event. If I was still running, I'd run an extra lap in protest.

Quote comment
  • meizner User since:
    Oct 8th, 2013
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #712 

Meizner said 1 week ago

From a purely practical/ logistic point of view, even if you don't give a rats arse about gender equality, isn't it just easier to run the races at the same distance? You'd think practical aspects should have won the day if there was a stalemate. Now, races will be forced to run 2k loops, which is impractical since most races used to have 2.5km loops for the 5k/10k split.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #713 

Imagine how the distance women feel! So much history and never included in the 10km championship event.

"Hold up, I thought this was decided last year. So CIS is now 8 and 8? I would be pissed if I was a male competitor. So much history of being 10 km for a championship event. If I was still running, I'd run an extra lap in protest."

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1