• Contact

LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:
    *For quicker support use email when possible.

You are viewing page of 2.

Discussion Forum >>

International-conference-of-athletics-excellence
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Oct 11th, 2013
thumbs_up 6
Report  ORIGINAL

MJD said 1 week ago

Globe and Mail front page on DST/Guelph by Michael Doyle

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 17
    Report    REPLY #26 

jennie said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Maybe you are brave enough to speak out now. I’m not. Just the same way as you weren’t brave enough to speak up and protect us when you coached with him and knew of all of the mental and verbal abuse some us were dealing with. You mentioned earlier you chose to build your career with his connections over helping us. It’s easy to deflect the blame but you are part of the staff that allowed him to victimize us."

I'm sorry I let you down, I thought I was helping, but you're right, I wasn't. I told myself I was doing my part by trying to pump everyone up and cheer them on and lend a sympathetic ear when you weren't feeling great, but you obviously needed someone to do more than that, and I'm sorry I didn't. FWIW I didn't really fully realize yet that his behaviour wasn't normal for high level athletics bc the only clubs and teams I've been on, that was the culture...win or die trying. I still thought I was the defective one for not being able to "hack it" at Guelph. I probably should have known better, and you're right...been a little braver. Pls know I did and do care about all of you a lot, and if you ever want to reach out to tell me how this all made you feel, I'm here. I hope you're getting all the support and love you need right now. This will be my last time posting here (for real this time, lol), but if any Guelph athletes are reading this and want to talk, cry, (or yell at me!!) pls feel free to reach out. xoxo

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 10
    Report    REPLY #27 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: Lets stick together
    "I can tell that there is a lot of anger behind this post, however insinuating that Jennie is the reason Dave was allowed to victimize the team is a bit of a stretch. She is speaking up now because she is able to. If you were victimized I urge you to make a statement to the police, Athletics Canada and/or the University of Guelph. If you are not able to do this please seek out someone you trust to discuss this with."

No we shouldn't be sticking together... this is exactly the problem we all were forced to stick together and had a code of silence about Daves behaviour especially when recruits on trips would ask us about him. We were all a part of the problem we hid the way Dave treated us to everyone on the outside and allowed not only the sexual abuse but verbal and mental abuse I'm ashamed by all of our actions this all happened again in the fall.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #28 

"No we shouldn't be sticking together... this is exactly the problem we all were forced to stick together and had a code of silence about Daves behaviour especially when recruits on trips would ask us about him. We were all a part of the problem we hid the way Dave treated us to everyone on the outside and allowed not only the sexual abuse but verbal and mental abuse I'm ashamed by all of our actions this all happened again in the fall."

You are blindly taking my fake name out of context. Lets stick together as athletes; you, me, Jennie; the rest of our teammates to affect some system change.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 12
    Report    REPLY #29 

Parent said 1 week ago

People are missing the point mentioned above.

We all understand that the current athletes had nothing to do with the events in question, HOWEVER, unfortunately, they are apart of a program that has done these awful things previously -- the program/ school will have to be punished (read article to understand why...) and there will be some younger athletes and staff that underservingly suffer from the history... but DST and Guelph Admin ruined it for future/ current athletes.

Bottom line: the team and admin were corrupt at an institutional level - so must be cleaned out and suffer the consequences.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #30 

Quoting: Parent
    "People are missing the point mentioned above.

Bottom line: the team and admin were corrupt at an institutional level - so must be cleaned out and suffer the consequences."

I think that the Guelph program should actually end.
    This is the only logical conclusion.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #31 

"People are missing the point mentioned above.

We all understand that the current athletes had nothing to do with the events in question, HOWEVER, unfortunately, they are apart of a program that has done these awful things previously -- the program/ school will have to be punished (read article to understand why...) and there will be some younger athletes and staff that underservingly suffer from the history... but DST and Guelph Admin ruined it for future/ current athletes.

Bottom line: the team and admin were corrupt at an institutional level - so must be cleaned out and suffer the consequences."

Also as bad as this story was we don't know the details of the 2019 complaint. They could be just as bad, or worse. The current athletes had no clue what happened this time no rumours? I really doubt it considering the whole group chasing the Olympics up and left.

Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 14
    Report    REPLY #32 

NC Blogger said 1 week ago

"....and there will be some younger athletes and staff that underservingly suffer from the history... but DST and Guelph Admin ruined it for future/ current athletes."

Um, NO!

There is a saying in legal circles that it's better to let one hundred guilty men go free than to punish one innocent man.

With this statement, you want to punish hundreds of athletes because of the actions of a few?

The article mentions AC's inaction as well. Should we get rid of AC while we are at it? I mean if we are really cleaning house...

I understand your desire for an institutional cleanse, but punishing innocent people won't help you achieve those desires.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #33 

Look, "100s" of athletes losing a single university season for the sake of meaningful system change to a program and university which has hurt countless over the past 15 - 20 years is hardly a big deal. The benefits drastically outweigh the negatives here.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #34 

"Look, "100s" of athletes losing a single university season for the sake of meaningful system change to a program and university which has hurt countless over the past 15 - 20 years is hardly a big deal. The benefits drastically outweigh the negatives here."

Particularly since you are not one of those athletes. Correct me if u r

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #35 

"Look, "100s" of athletes losing a single university season for the sake of meaningful system change to a program and university which has hurt countless over the past 15 - 20 years is hardly a big deal. The benefits drastically outweigh the negatives here."

How can you guarantee meaningful system change by cancelling a season of racing?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #36 

Quoting: NC Blogger
    "Um, NO!

There is a saying in legal circles that it's better to let one hundred guilty men go free than to punish one innocent man.

With this statement, you want to punish hundreds of athletes because of the actions of a few?

The article mentions AC's inaction as well. Should we get rid of AC while we are at it? I mean if we are really cleaning house...

I understand your desire for an institutional cleanse, but punishing innocent people won't help you achieve those desires."

Finish the current season (1 month left), let all athletes transfer without penalty, and stop the program. This is hardly punishing innocent people.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #37 

Bingo said 1 week ago

This is exactly the problem. As well-intentioned as any of the current coaches are, they have learned coaching primarily from DST. And in some cases, they have even been complicit in everything DST did wrong.

Are these really the most qualified coaches to change the program?

Quoting: jennie
    "FWIW I didn't really fully realize yet that his behaviour wasn't normal for high level athletics bc the only clubs and teams I've been on, that was the culture...win or die trying."

Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #38 

NC Blogger said 1 week ago

"Finish the current season (1 month left), let all athletes transfer without penalty, and stop the program. This is hardly punishing innocent people."

Some people actually go to University for Academic reasons and switching program mid-way through is not easy and sometimes not possible.

Also, cancelling a whole program because of the actions of a few can open the University to litigation

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u-of-ottawa-lawsuit-class-action-1.4055154

This post was edited by NC Blogger 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #39 

"Some people actually go to University for Academic reasons and switching program mid-way through is not easy and sometimes not possible.

Also, cancelling a whole program because of the actions of a few can open the University to litigation

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u-of-ottawa-lawsuit-class-action-1.4055154"

Pretty important difference between U Ottawa situation and this one. No students have been accused of anything. The lawsuit against the school is for harm to reputation due to allegations of wrongdoing, not just for the cancellation of the program

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 15
    Report    REPLY #40 

"Some people actually go to University for Academic reasons and switching program mid-way through is not easy and sometimes not possible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u-of-ottawa-lawsuit-class-action-1.4055154"

Seriously?
    The university opened itself up to litigation through its deceit, lies and coverups. He had sex with a 17 year old student athlete and the university basically gave him the thumbs up to carry on - which he did.

This post was edited by a Moderator [Issues] 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1