LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 3 weeks ago

grade 11's racing U20 XC

so many 16 year old's are running up at nattys in Ktown so what does that qualify them for anyway?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #1 

Quoting:
    "so many 16 year old's are running up at nattys in Ktown so what does that qualify them for anyway?"

2002s (along with 2000s and 2001s) can potentially qualify for Worlds.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #2 

Quoting:
    "so many 16 year old's are running up at nattys in Ktown so what does that qualify them for anyway?"

1) It means they don't place in the top pack like they most likely have in every single club and school race since September. This is a good thing in terms of LTAD because they should be learning how to compete and the junior race for a 16 year old girl or boy will be heavy competition. Coaches realize that always coming in first with kids your own age means you have most likely run alone at the front and learned nothing from that race. This challenge will be good. Keep in mind this is likely a coach decision to race up, not the preference of the 16 year old necessarily.

2) one word - TEAM. If a strong club teammate is in the junior race, the coach or the athletes themselves, might race up in order to support the team aspect of the sport.

If anyone has other theories on why please share, but those are the most obvious two I can think of.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #3 

There are grade 11's that are faster than any of the grade 12's in their club. Not that that explains why grade 11 or 12's are racing up. Just saying if it's acceptable for grade 12's to race junior then I would assume the top 10 grade 11's from Ofsaa and AO championships might also consider racing up at Nationals.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #4 

Placing 20-40 at the high-school championships is not exactly "always coming first" and front running all alone.

Quoting: Anonymous
    "1) It means they don't place in the top pack like they most likely have in every single club and school race since September. This is a good thing in terms of LTAD because they should be learning how to compete and the junior race for a 16 year old girl or boy will be heavy competition. Coaches realize that always coming in first with kids your own age means you have most likely run alone at the front and learned nothing from that race. This challenge will be good. Keep in mind this is likely a coach decision to race up, not the preference of the 16 year old necessarily.

2) one word - TEAM. If a strong club teammate is in the junior race, the coach or the athletes themselves, might race up in order to support the team aspect of the sport.

If anyone has other theories on why please share, but those are the most obvious two I can think of."

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #5 

"2002s (along with 2000s and 2001s) can potentially qualify for Worlds."

should also note that 99’s last year Juniors cannot qualify for worlds as they are Senior athletes when the year turns over in Januray.

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #6 

Buddy said 3 weeks ago

How about 45+ at OFSAA?

"There are grade 11's that are faster than any of the grade 12's in their club. Not that that explains why grade 11 or 12's are racing up. Just saying if it's acceptable for grade 12's to race junior then I would assume the top 10 grade 11's from Ofsaa and AO championships might also consider racing up at Nationals."

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #7 

Buddy said 3 weeks ago

Newmarket running up but U of T (JD) not.
    differences of opinion?
    what does one know that the other does not?
    #LTAD :)

Toronto could have sent 2 girls up to make a full team, they have 20+ high schoolers

This post was edited by Buddy 3 weeks ago . 
    Quote comment
  • kinrunner User since:
    Sep 27th, 2013
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #8 

KinRunner said 3 weeks ago

I don't think its a philosophical LTAD thing for this instance. but for these championships I think it's also about what the runner is excited by. If they think they can make a team or need a competitive opportunity that they may only be getting 1-2 times/ year at OFSAA it may be better to go the Junior route.

At the end of the day, I think it should be a collaborative approach from athlete and coach discussing the pros and cons of how each fits into their long term plan, and how they are feeling post high school season, do they have other sports, what race provides them the best competitive opportunity.

In the junior group i've got 1 grade 11 athlete running up and a grade 12 running youth that ran junior last year and a handful of grade 11's running youth. We never thought about the "team" just what race made the most sense for each athlete in terms of where they are at going into the race.

If there's one thing i've learned these last few years, its that choices as seen on entries, or results very rarely are as easy to decipher as it appears to be on these boards. The coaches and athletes have had many conversations that not everyone is privy to and make judgment calls based on their coach athlete relationship and trust they have in each-other to provide them the best opportunity.

Quote comment
  • ethan-davenport User since:
    Jan 17th, 2017
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #9 

Ethan Davenport said 3 weeks ago

Quoting: Buddy
    "Newmarket running up but U of T (JD) not.
    differences of opinion?
    what does one know that the other does not?
    #LTAD :)

Toronto could have sent 2 girls up to make a full team, they have 20+ high schoolers"

As a UTTC player-coach, I'd say we're reading too much into this one. Also, because I'm a 'live' example of NH's attention to LTAD on the player side! Mostly athlete choice as KinRunner touches on, but also the Youth race has been such a dense and deep competitive field the last few years...it's really hard to pass that experience up.

2017 girls as an example:
    Youth spread was 90sec from 1st to 50th
    Junior with a 4min spread from 1st to 54th with a sharper drop and larger gaps beyond that before the field ended at 66 total.

Looks like both have increased in numbers this year (by similar %) which is great to see, but many athletes still may be choosing between racing in a higher density field with depth vs. some potentially lonelier 'twilight-zone' racing in Jr. with a fast top end vying for team spots.

So beyond the team conversation, deciding between these two competitive experiences may be a factor. And of course....don't forget we love the 1/2 mile and mile at U of T and the 4km is much closer to those events :)

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitkinrunner User since:
    Sep 27th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #10 

KinRunner said 3 weeks ago

Quoting: Ethan Davenport

don't forget we love the 1/2 mile and mile at U of T and the 4km is much closer to those events :)"

I didn't want to say it :) Good luck to you and your crew!

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1