SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

You are viewing page of 4.

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 8
Report  ORIGINAL

Boiwonda said 3 months ago

Houston Half - 2018

Show Original Post
  • michaelrochus User since:
    Nov 26th, 2014
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #76 

MichaelRochus said 3 months ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "Sure. Some of what he's been able to do is simply deferred improvement from the year's before his surgery. I don't think it's actually possible to run personal bests in one's 40s after having achieved anything close to one's full potential at peak age.

That said, what's he's been able to do after having had such an invasive surgery at such an advanced athletic age is truly impressive, maybe even unprecedented in Canada. And the training he did in the years before the surgery-- that did so much to make the post-surgery performances possible in the first place-- was equally impressive.

Colin's secret is his laser-like long term focus, his resilience, and his complete coachability. He knew by his mid-30s that his best results would take a while to come, and his commitment to his goals as a master's runner has not wavered since then, in spite of some real challenges, big and small. His first born was a baby when he was recovering from the surgery, and he had his second just when he was getting some consistency in his program. Then there is the winter weather in NFLD. There are many days when he has to shovel a couple of feet of snow before getting his training in. To deal with these challenges, he is willing to change the plan on a dime and hit the elliptical and/or t-mill-- something he has done regularly for the past 6 years. When he has been able to get a clear stretch of work done, he has trained pretty much like a younger athlete-- 100-120k of volume, including a tempo or fartlek session, an interval session, and a longer run (90-100mins). The secret is always vigilance where his weak points (since the surgery, calves and achilles) are concerned. He reads his body very well and will always x-train if need be, even though he hates it as much as the rest of us!

In the end, I think there is an X-factor in the case of every successful masters athlete. For Colin, it is his crazy drive to get the most out of his talent before it's too late-- and I was able to convince him years ago that he was fully capable of running his best times in his 40s. I just didn't know it would take quite this much determination! If he manages to keep his healthy streak going, I think we'll seen him go 14:40ish, low-30, and low 1:06. And that marathon record is a goal, but it would take some real luck to pull off.

Anyway, I hear he might be on the Rochus show soon, in which case you can get it all (including some Newfoundland charm and humour) straight from the horse's mouth."

Can confirm, a little bit of a scheduling conflict this week, but he'll be on the next one. Colin is a guy who I've wanted to be on for a while, as he seems to defy all of the odds, and he seems like a real character every time I've met him. Thanks for the background in your answer, Steve!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #77 

Anonymous said 3 months ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "Really? When you're getting anonymous threats, or are the victim of a massive anonymous spam campaign, courtesy a disaffected sociopath who frequents this forum, then perhaps we can have a chat about decorum. Till then, stop whining."

You really need to take a chill pill.

You are embarrassing yourself and not doing your credibility any service.

We preach to our young athletes and youth in general about the dangers of social media and how inappropriate and inflamatory posts can harm their credibility and chances when entering the workforce or changing careers. The advice applies to all of us. Think about it.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #78 

Oldster said 3 months ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "You really need to take a chill pill.

You are embarrassing yourself and not doing your credibility any service.

We preach to our young athletes and youth in general about the dangers of social media and how inappropriate and inflamatory posts can harm their credibility and chances when entering the workforce or changing careers. The advice applies to all of us. Think about it."

Point is, I have had to put up with actual "inappropriate and inflammatory comments" to a far great degree than anon trolls like you (yes, you) and TT simply for speaking my mind and defending my sport (and some of it's athletes) openly and in a principled way-- and, I have not whined about it or asked to have posts removed. Just saying.. Attempting to lecture me about responsible online behaviour from the cover of anonymity is beyond rich. Be a grown up and post under your own name. Or, open up a chat on messenger if you really care this much. I love a good argument, and my virtual door is always open.

This post was edited by Oldster 3 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #79 

Oldster said 3 months ago

P.S. Looking forward to hearing Colin on Rochus!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #80 

What I have learned from these tirades is that I will never recommend an athlete attend the school where Oldster coaches.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 10
    Report    REPLY #81 

"What I have learned from these tirades is that I will never recommend an athlete attend the school where Oldster coaches."

And I'm sure this will be a massive loss for Queen's, random anonymous person.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #82 

Really Am Skuj said 3 months ago

"What I have learned from these tirades is that I will never recommend an athlete attend the school where Oldster coaches."

What I have learned from these forums and from knowing Oldster is that I will always recommend an athlete attend the school where Oldster (who is younger than me) coaches.

(See what I did there?)

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #83 

Quoting: Really Am Skuj
    "What I have learned from these forums and from knowing Oldster is that I will always recommend an athlete attend the school where Oldster (who is younger than me) coaches.

(See what I did there?)"

Thanks for that update Skuj!

I saw what you did there, and haven't stopped laughing since I read it, and can't forsee my laughter stopping.

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1