LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Jun 9th, 2011
thumbs_up 1
Report  ORIGINAL

Master2B said 1 month ago

IAAF Diamond League 2020 concept

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/diamond-league-2020-concept

Only 12 events will be contested (12 men; 12 women) and the longest event is the 3000m. Here's hoping the longer events can be non-Diamond League and still on the schedule at some meets.

Quote comment
  • ole-musky User since:
    Apr 3rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #1 

Ole Musky said 1 month ago

Where do they expect people to run the ridiculous 5k and 10k standards now?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #2 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

I know this contravenes the opinion of people on Trackie but most people find the 5000m and 10000m races boring as they do the marathon which is probably why the organizers have removed the races from the Diamond League events.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #3 

IOC has been pressuring IAAF to reduce the number of events in the Olympics, thereby reducing the number of overall athletes and/or allowing more sports to participate. Eliminating 5000, 10000m, 50K race walk are steps on that path.

I'm betting by 2028 the 24 Diamond League events + relays + marathon will be the Olympic T&F program.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #4 

Drippy said 1 month ago

Athletics is dying more and more with things like this. No 5k? What's next. The IAAF are crippling themselves.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #5 

Quoting: Drippy
    "Athletics is dying more and more with things like this. No 5k? What's next. The IAAF are crippling themselves."

I can think of many events that are redundant. Having the 100m and 200m is ridiculous because the best in one are usually the best in the other. However sprints are popular and at the end of the day keeping the sprints helps T&F's popularity.

Do you ever hear the general public stopping to watch the 5 or 10k at the Olympics? No....but they sure do to watch the 100m final.

Quote comment
  • theforeverchamp User since:
    Mar 14th, 2019
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #6 

Theforeverchamp said 1 month ago

What is this ?? The 5k and the 10k are 2 of the most iconic races of all time ! Who cares if it’s boring to some ! Let these honest people run these distances !!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #7 

Quoting: Theforeverchamp
    "What is this ?? The 5k and the 10k are 2 of the most iconic races of all time ! Who cares if it’s boring to some ! Let these honest people run these distances !!"

Iconic? Really?

I can't think of more than one or two memorable races however I think of many, many 100, 200, 400's.

There's a reason even the Harry Jerome doesn't include them.

1. They take up too much time
    2. Most people could care less
    3. The races are boring
    4. We can't keep track of all the people who get lapped.
    5. A win by anything more than 20 metres is boring.

Maybe the exclusion of these long races will help events like the Vancouver Distance Night in June and the races in Portland?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #8 

Olympics and World Championships 1 10000 meter race for men and 1 for women, take up about 30 and 33 minutes respectively
    100 meters 4 rounds, at the last Worlds there were a grand total of 14 100 meter races for men which took up as much time (or more) than both 10000s put together. Of those only one race is actually exciting.
    So, what takes up time on the track?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #9 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Iconic? Really?
    I can't think of more than one or two memorable races however I think of many, many 100, 200, 400's."

You are right. YOU cannot. OTHERS may think of many memorable distance races, and few such 100 or 200 races. So your argument is that it is a matter of taste. I may not care much for a race I know Bolt is going to win easily. PERSONALLY, I like races (and books, and movies) that have some sort of plot. A 100m or 200m race doesn't have any. I find that BORING. But again, this is a personal choice.

The question is: how many people would pay to view a competitions that consists of a few races that take up merely a few seconds each? I am sure many people may only stay on that channel for the 100m final. But would something get organized that consists of a couple of 10-20 second races? Who would go to that meet?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

What do you think about this?

https://tonireavis.com/2019/03/14/breaking-up-is-hard-to-do/

I, for one, agree with most of it.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #11 

Quoting: Ole Musky
    "Where do they expect people to run the ridiculous 5k and 10k standards now?"

Anyone invited to a Diamond League event likely have no trouble hitting standards.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #12 

Olympics should be about putting the most competitive field possible on the track.

Guess what if you can't make the standard you are not one of the best so stop crying and start training.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #13 

Honestly the general public is never going to be that into track and field other than watching it every four years when the olympics come around. The target audience should be the people that are already fans which are the people that would actually want to see the 5000/10000. This is just making these events less appealing to the people that are already watching!

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1