LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Injuries

Why do some athletes get repeated injuries and others none, few or minor ones only? How can I avoid this dilemma?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #1 

Good question. Prevention in the first place is key instead of dealing with recovering and repeating cycle.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #2 

Andrew Jones said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Why do some athletes get repeated injuries and others none, few or minor ones only? How can I avoid this dilemma?"

Some general principles (from the lore and canon) would be:

>Let your body gradually adapt to applied stress
    >When volume is high, intensity is low; when intensity is high, volume is low
    >Recover well, and this includes sleeping and eating properly

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #3 

GANDALFTHEWHITE said 1 week ago

1. Genetics
    2. Poor biomechanics (form is everything)
    3. Wrong shoes (training shoes with very little support)
    4. Running repeatedly on wrong surface
    5. Not incorporating a strength training regime
    6. diet
    7. Not giving body time off to heal properly
    8. Not listening to the body when it hurts and asks for you to slow down
    9. Too much contact with ground (pounding. You need to be like a feather touching the ground. Skipping is key).
    10. Doing too much too soon or too early and not giving the body time to adapt

This post was edited by a Moderator [Issues] 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #4 

I'm amazed this hasn't cued the coach blaming game. You know where athletes don't take responsibility for themselves

Quote comment
  • runningman User since:
    Feb 23rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #5 

Runningman said 1 week ago

Quoting: GANDALFTHEWHITE
    "1. Genetics
    2. Poor biomechanics (form is everything)
    3. Wrong shoes (training shoes with very little support)
    4. Running repeatedly on wrong surface
    5. Not incorporating a strength training regime
    6. diet
    7. Not giving body time off to heal properly
    8. Not listening to the body when it hurts and asks for you to slow down
    9. Too much contact with ground (pounding. You need to be like a feather touching the ground. Skipping is key).
    10. Doing too much too soon or too early and not giving the body time to adapt"

Excellent list. May I add one more?

#11 Nor allowing yourself to fully recover from an injury. Training through injuries does not work. It's an old wives tale perpetuated by idiotic coaches who tell athletes to run through the pain.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #6 

Quoting: Runningman
    "Excellent list. May I add one more?

#11 Nor allowing yourself to fully recover from an injury. Training through injuries does not work. It's an old wives tale perpetuated by idiotic coaches who tell athletes to run through the pain."

I can't think of any athlete who would continue to train when they know full well that will not end well. Train smart and you will do just fine

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #7 

If seriously injured in both of your senior years of high school, is it likely a D1 school will still honour athletic scholarship or is that seen as major red flag?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #8 

really? said 1 week ago

"I can't think of any athlete who would continue to train when they know full well that will not end well. Train smart and you will do just fine"

Are you either not an Athlete, or trolling? there are tons of people pushing thru injury

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

Quoting: really?
    "Are you either not an Athlete, or trolling? there are tons of people pushing thru injury"

And because there are tons of people doing it does that make it the right thing to do or suggest it's okay for high schoolers to do? Really?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #10 

"If seriously injured in both of your senior years of high school, is it likely a D1 school will still honour athletic scholarship or is that seen as major red flag?"

NO. Why waste their limited funds?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #11 

"And because there are tons of people doing it does that make it the right thing to do or suggest it's okay for high schoolers to do? Really?"

Of course not. But that's not what the poster was saying. To claim that many, many, many athletes do not push through injuries (stupidly) when they should or do know better has to be trolling, stupidity, or someone who has never been (or should never be) involved with athletes in any capacity. In my own experience, high school and university athletes especially are constantly in denial about how to properly handle an injury.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #12 

"If seriously injured in both of your senior years of high school, is it likely a D1 school will still honour athletic scholarship or is that seen as major red flag?"

I'm sure D1 schools scour this site and make decisions based on false anonymous posts about injuries.

Assuming when you say serious injury these athletes didn't complete at all in their 2 senior years? In that they case I'm sure they wouldnt have been offered a D1 scholarship.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #13 

denial said 1 week ago

"I'm amazed this hasn't cued the coach blaming game. You know where athletes don't take responsibility for themselves

I can't think of any athlete who would continue to train when they know full well that will not end well. Train smart and you will do just fine

And because there are tons of people doing it does that make it the right thing to do or suggest it's okay for high schoolers to do? Really?"

not what OP said. Don't deny problems in the athlete experience. Work to fix them/ spread reasonable and honest info about them.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #14 

"I'm sure D1 schools scour this site and make decisions based on false anonymous posts about injuries.

Assuming when you say serious injury these athletes didn't complete at all in their 2 senior years? In that they case I'm sure they wouldnt have been offered a D1 scholarship."

Of course D1 schools don't scour this site which is why I wondered if there was an honour code of sorts where the athlete discloses major injuries, especially repetitive reoccurring ones? A pattern of results, serious injury, results, serious injury, etc would warrant careful consideration by a D1 school offering money.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #15 

Quoting: denial
    "not what OP said. Don't deny problems in the athlete experience. Work to fix them/ spread reasonable and honest info about them."

What do you mean by the athlete experience?

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #16 

"Of course D1 schools don't scour this site which is why I wondered if there was an honour code of sorts where the athlete discloses major injuries, especially repetitive reoccurring ones? A pattern of results, serious injury, results, serious injury, etc would warrant careful consideration by a D1 school offering money."

Are we talking a pattern of good results, then "serious" injury, good results again, then "serious" injury, bc if that's what you're claiming then none of it makes sense and the injury wasn't very "serious" to begin with.

Almost sounds like you're upset an athlete has been awarded a scholarship, and that you're grasping a little bit by upselling an old injury. Or maybe I'm reading your post all wrong.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1