Discussion Forum >>

2019 London Distance Series Meets
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 3
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Legion E District Selections

Has anyone noticed anything funny about the District E Selections for Provincials? My own daughter's situations caused me to do some digging and the findings were shocking. Kids finishing 2nd or 3rd or who didn't even compete were selected over kids who won easily with national standards. When I picked up the national profile package after the meet after my daughter won her event I was told that the committee would only review top 2 finishes but yet there are many cases where kids who finished 3rd were selected over winners. And it wasn't like the kids who finished 3rd had finished first in another event! How do you explain to a kid that there good enough for nationals but not provincials?

I reviewed the meet package for all the different districts and no 2 were the same. Some meet packages were more transparent about how kids would be selected but many didn't mention it. In order for this program to have integrity there needs to be consistent standards used by all districts. Why would my daughter ever compete in a Legion District event again? What makes it worse is that athletes can't register for the provincial meet on their own. I now have a daughter who is currently ranked 2nd in the province in the AC rankings in 2 events who isn't allowed to compete at the provincials!

I believe that this was a program that initially has the best of intentions but it's turned into a program that intentionally excludes athletes, it isn't transparent and it's all about who knows who. Before AO sanctions another one of these meets there needs to be some serious questions answered.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #1 

This is one of the reasons our club no longer supports the district / provincial legion meets

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #2 

BestCoach said 1 week ago

The Legion meet much like the Legion sure ain't what it use to be.
    My local legion is 100% run by civilians 100% of them never served a day in any military in any country.

Your daughter should go to nationals in NS and kick all their butts :)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #3 

anonymos said 1 week ago

I believe that the legion would like to think they are promoters of track and field, BUT they are not. In the past 20 years I have seen the programme get smaller. an example is distrct "D" can't hardly get enough athletes to come to their meet. One year they had to combine District "D" and "B". The fair way would be to send all first place finshers for every event. HOWEVER they say there is no money for this. It would be easier at the Provincial as ALL eight districts would have only one athlete per event everything would be a straight final. Having selection based on more than one event is contrary to AO and the long term development and is very hard in field events. Pole Vault and what Shot?
    Since we already have standards for Nationals THIS should be the same for Provincials it would keep it fair and transparent.It is what the track community and "new" parents would like to understand. We need to have people more involved in track and field and not being turn off due to a wrong or failed selection process. This is an on going problem for more than just this year.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

Wilma rudolph said 1 week ago

There are standards based on the past 5 years winning times and go about 5 places deep. They are compared even to winners performances.
    They then select those winners and put them into other events they may not have done well or to fill in spots. Sometimes the athlete who runs, say, a 10p gets slotted into a 200 if the 200 winner is a bit sub par. They see it as a team event and want to score points for their district even though there is no team score.
    And finally, This program is free, with good intentions to promote track by people who may know very little about track. In our area it supports many kids who could not afford to go to nationals.
    Their errors or flaws are not based on some nefarious plot.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #5 

Quoting: Wilma rudolph
    "There are standards based on the past 5 years winning times and go about 5 places deep. They are compared even to winners performances.
    They then select those winners and put them into other events they may not have done well or to fill in spots. Sometimes the athlete who runs, say, a 10p gets slotted into a 200 if the 200 winner is a bit sub par. They see it as a team event and want to score points for their district even though there is no team score.
    And finally, This program is free, with good intentions to promote track by people who may know very little about track. In our area it supports many kids who could not afford to go to nationals.
    Their errors or flaws are not based on some nefarious plot."

Some districts don't seem to work like that. In fact I seem to notice that year after year district E doesn't always send their top high junpers.

For the toronto meet; it's$15 per event.. they were 90 min delayed for the second event on the track, and although the schedule hasn't changed in years, the field events are always run differently.. some districts are doing it the right way however there's not a consistancy to them.
    These meets are soooo good in theory.
    Although I'll probably always send athletes to the district meets... from a coaches perspective they are not worth going to and supporting with their current implementation.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #6 

Quoting: Wilma rudolph
    "There are standards based on the past 5 years winning times and go about 5 places deep. They are compared even to winners performances.
    Their errors or flaws are not based on some nefarious plot."

The discrepancies in District E are way beyond the scenario you are describing. There are kids who are winning events well beyond the National Standards who are being bypassed for kids with sub par performances who are no better than 3rd in any event. I dont want to name names because I highly respect all the athletes.

There wouldn't be a need to fill out the field with a 10th place finisher if the Provincial meet wasnt restricted. How can anyone justify selecting someone who didnt even compete in the District event over someone who came first with National standards?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #7 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "The discrepancies in District E are way beyond the scenario you are describing. There are kids who are winning events well beyond the National Standards who are being bypassed for kids with sub par performances who are no better than 3rd in any event. I dont want to name names because I highly respect all the athletes.

There wouldn't be a need to fill out the field with a 10th place finisher if the Provincial meet wasnt restricted. How can anyone justify selecting someone who didnt even compete in the District event over someone who came first with National standards?"

If this is what is happening in District E than there is something very wrong in that District and it needs to be fixed.

In no way should advancement be done that way. Our district sends its winners across all the events. If that is too many athletes (not usually because of doubles and triple winners) then it goes to the most competitive by the National standards. If an athlete has won an event and there is room in the one of their additional events, we will enter them.

Usually, this means almost all of our 1st and 2nd place athletes are represented at the meet, though you will see the occasional 3-4ths. There is no justification for not bringing the top placing athletes in the meet, or bringing athletes who didn’t compete, as this is expressly forbidden on the entry page.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #8 

Before posting, did you ask your daughter's coach or the District Command how the selection process works?

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #9 

"This is one of the reasons our club no longer supports the district / provincial legion meets"

I find it hard to believe this comment has 5 thumbs up.

Track and field in Canada is grossly underfunded.

The RCL spends time and money on our sport and people applaud someone who openly disparages them?

Ridiculous.

If you can do better, put your money where your mouth is (or your time or your expertise).

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #10 

"I find it hard to believe this comment has 5 thumbs up.

Track and field in Canada is grossly underfunded.

The RCL spends time and money on our sport and people applaud someone who openly disparages them?

Ridiculous.

If you can do better, put your money where your mouth is (or your time or your expertise)."

The fact that the RCL funds track and field is wonderful.! That isn't the issue. The person above said that their club doesnt support the District/ Provincial meets. They didnt say National because the National program has provided the framework for a transparent selection process. The issue, is that the Districts just need to do the same. They dont have to re-create the wheel, it's already been done.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #11 

Quoting: anonymos
    "I believe that the legion would like to think they are promoters of track and field, BUT they are not. In the past 20 years I have seen the programme get smaller. an example is distrct "D" can't hardly get enough athletes to come to their meet. One year they had to combine District "D" and "B". The fair way would be to send all first place finshers for every event. HOWEVER they say there is no money for this. It would be easier at the Provincial as ALL eight districts would have only one athlete per event everything would be a straight final. Having selection based on more than one event is contrary to AO and the long term development and is very hard in field events. Pole Vault and what Shot?
    Since we already have standards for Nationals THIS should be the same for Provincials it would keep it fair and transparent.It is what the track community and "new" parents would like to understand. We need to have people more involved in track and field and not being turn off due to a wrong or failed selection process. This is an on going problem for more than just this year."

This is my daughters third year competing at Legion events. Although, maybe not a perfect process I am happy that someone is willing to organize and put in the time required to put together the events. I have noticed the number of entries have dwindled each year.

In reference to the comment above about only one athlete per event, I do not agree with this. What happens when you have an event where one district has the gold and silver medalist from OFSAA in their region. With both their times clearly being stronger than any other region, that second place person should also be able to go. You want the strongest in the province and it would not be fair just because of where you reside that you are not eligible to go.

So, as you can see there are many other factors to take into account besides just winning an event. I appreciate that they do look at times as that is a much clearer indication of your ability, and also in a region where you have one person run an event and they win but nowhere near a standard, that should not guarantee them a spot.

My daughter went to Nationals last year (and medalled) and it was a great experience. Again, was everything perfect - no, but it was a great experience for the athletes. So, thank you to the Legion.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1