Discussion Forum >>

NACAC Coaching
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

CoachL said 4 months ago

Looking to get into coaching - NCCP?

Im looking to get into coaching at my old high school, can someone provide more insight in the NCCP program? What's the first step I need to take/first component of the program? Is in an online or in person course?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #1 

Anonymous said 4 months ago

http://athletics.ca/programs/coaching/coaching-education/coach-training/#sthash.Mm1aD6Oh.dpbs

Quote comment
  • josh-seifarth User since:
    Oct 31st, 2013
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #2 

Josh Seifarth said 4 months ago

Going back many years to when I was eager to do these things (I don't believe they are very valuable at all), I recall having to do the following:

'Making Ethical Decisions' - this was a one-night class I recall, though you might be able to do it online

There also used to be tiers, but now that has been replaced. I believe you need to then complete 'Sport Coach' and/or 'Club Coach'. These were weekend courses when I did them. I never bothered to pay the additional costs for 'evaluation' so I would be classified as 'trained', but not 'certified'.

You can then progress to 'Competition Development' which used to be NCCP Level 3. This was a solid 3-4 day, all day course when I did it 5+ years ago. There is then an evaluation component you have to pay more for and coordinate afterwards yourself if you'd like to be 'certified'.

There were 4 additional sub-courses as part of the Comp Dev and I completed these entirely online over the course of a few months leading up to the in-person class.

Honestly, I would recommend doing the absolute bare minimum required in terms of these courses, unless they have changed drastically in the last few years. Then just get your hands dirty actually coaching and reading/educating/questioning training philosophy in your spare time.

All told, I invested thousands into doing these and didn't learn much of anything I didn't already know and this was opting to not pay for the evaluation/certification component.

This post was edited by Josh Seifarth 4 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #3 

Buddy said 4 months ago

With everybody now in a panic to recertify, you might meet some pretty high level/experienced coaches at the classes now and be able to network with them moving forward.

Quote comment
  • runningman User since:
    Feb 23rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #4 

Runningman said 4 months ago

I would highly recommend taking the program especially if you are trying to get into coaching. When you contact prospective schools or clubs you will be taken more seriously if you have an NCCP designation.

Many will argue that the designation is useless but for a new coach you need to establish some credibility and show a book of knowledge.

Being a runner in University is not going to get you any jobs.

Quote comment
  • kinrunner User since:
    Sep 27th, 2013
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #5 

KinRunner said 4 months ago

I've done almost every coaching certification available in Canada and the IAAF cert. it teaches you basically how to interact with people and not get sued, I think the program is a great design for teacher coaches and or parents, but not necessarily the best educational experience for HP coaches, or coaches hoping to be HP.

IMO mentorships are the way to go. Find a coach near you who works with HP athletes and ask to mentor under them. I've been fortunate enough to work with, and mentor under some amazing coaches in Canada and hands down the learning experiences I see form them on how they approach athletes, coaching problems, organizational problems, periodization etc, is light years ahead of coaching courses I have taken.

Most HP coaches I have found are more than open to chatting and helping others learn. I would highly recommend young coaches reaching out to experienced coaches for mentorship or even as a contact to discuss and brainstorm with.

Quote comment
  • kinrunner User since:
    Sep 27th, 2013
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #6 

KinRunner said 4 months ago

Quoting: KinRunner
    "I've done almost every coaching certification available in Canada and the IAAF cert. it teaches you basically how to interact with people and not get sued, I think the program is a great design for teacher coaches and or parents, but not necessarily the best educational experience for HP coaches, or coaches hoping to be HP.

IMO mentorships are the way to go. Find a coach near you who works with HP athletes and ask to mentor under them. I've been fortunate enough to work with, and mentor under some amazing coaches in Canada and hands down the learning experiences I see form them on how they approach athletes, coaching problems, organizational problems, periodization etc, is light years ahead of coaching courses I have taken.

Most HP coaches I have found are more than open to chatting and helping others learn. I would highly recommend young coaches reaching out to experienced coaches for mentorship or even as a contact to discuss and brainstorm with."

That being said, national team, carding and many other HP streams of the sport are requiring coaches to complete the certifications so it is worth while. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions regarding my experience.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #7 

Does anyone know why Athletics Canada hired Bruce Deacon’s consulting firm to survey coaches about concerns over how the NCCP courses are being run? What were the complaints?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #8 

university runner said 4 months ago

Quoting: Runningman
    "Being a runner in University is not going to get you any jobs."

This is incorrect. Many of the assistant coaches for various clubs, high schools, and post-secondary institutions have no formal credentials outside of their own varsity sport experience. I know because I am one of those people. It would not be cost-effective to require people such as myself to take courses with content in them that is below their education level (I can't afford to pay for these courses, so the club would be forced to pay for them if they wanted me, upping the fees!).

If you'd like to be a head coach in a paid position, you might have to do some of the NCCP courses to check off some boxes for liability etc. But sometimes not even then - depends on the institution that pays you. There are quite a few very successful coaches who (as far as I am aware) have no formal certifications, but were former international elites during their competitive days.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #9 

Anon said 4 months ago

Have you seen AOs requirements for number of NCCP coaches for clubs for next year? Its going to be interesting.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

Quoting: Anon
    "Have you seen AOs requirements for number of NCCP coaches for clubs for next year? Its going to be interesting."

I haven't seen them, what are they? do you have a link?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #11 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "I haven't seen them, what are they? do you have a link?"

Painful, ridiculous and financially crippling to clubs that aren’t located near the centres where they offer the courses regularly. Even more so if you are one of the coaches who was certified pre-Locker and had everything you did 15 or 20+ years ago screwed up when tracking went digital.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #12 

"Does anyone know why Athletics Canada hired Bruce Deacon’s consulting firm to survey coaches about concerns over how the NCCP courses are being run? What were the complaints?"

has this survey actually been done ? I know of many nccp trained and certified coaches who have never received any info about this survey.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #13 

Anon said 4 months ago

"I haven't seen them, what are they? do you have a link?"

http://athleticsontario.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-Club-Affiliation-Check-list.pdf

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #14 

Buddy said 4 months ago

You are free to host a course any time that works for you, just get warm bodies in the seats. (and maybe some coffee and doughnuts)

"Painful, ridiculous and financially crippling to clubs that aren’t located near the centres where they offer the courses regularly. Even more so if you are one of the coaches who was certified pre-Locker and had everything you did 15 or 20+ years ago screwed up when tracking went digital."

This post was edited by Buddy 4 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • jlofranco User since:
    Apr 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #15 

jlofranco said 4 months ago

If anyone has questions about this you can feel free to email me. My email is my username (above) @athletics.ca In case anyone didn't know (why would you?) my role with AC is now Coaching Edcuation Manager and no longer Off-Track Programs.

In general, Josh's description is about right, although there is no "progression" through the contexts. You should find the course for the group you plan to coach. So if you are coaching a group that is very general, say elementary school or a start-up high school group, the Sport Coach course will give you the basic elements of the sport. If you are a distance coach and just coach that, then you would do Club Coach Endurance (or throws if you are a throws coach, for example). If you are a former athlete, this is a useful one because you probably have some sense of the sport already. Going forward in the fall, both of these courses will include a "basics of coaching" component that is generally about being a coach. If you did both courses you would not have to repeat that.

The only reason to do the Performance Coach course would be if you are coaching athletes at a national level, that is to say, athletes who are competing at national championships. Yes, there is much to learn, but coaches should not view the different contexts as "levels" to be completed. Coach where you are and be the best where you are. As there is likely to be some overlap between Sport Coach and Club Coach, there is likely some between Club and Performance Coach. It makes sense that you may start out with a group and as the athletes improve, your context changes.

Quote comment
  • jlofranco User since:
    Apr 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #16 

"Painful, ridiculous and financially crippling to clubs that aren’t located near the centres where they offer the courses regularly. Even more so if you are one of the coaches who was certified pre-Locker and had everything you did 15 or 20+ years ago screwed up when tracking went digital."

I can't speak for AO, but any coaching education done, no matter how long ago, should have been captured. If you are a coach who was certified a long time ago, email me and we will find it and make sure you are credited. And if you are a coach with that much experience, it should be no problem to complete any updating requirements. Coaching education and certification is NOT static. All coaches have to maintain certification with a certain number of professional development credits over time. For club coach, it is 20 over 5 years which is very easy to do, and AC will be working to provide more and more ProD opportunities in the coming years. Stay tuned for that!

That said, AOs requirements are not at all difficult. There are plenty of opportunities to get certified. Again, if you are a coach who has concerns about this, email me and we will make sure you get what you need.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #17 

Anon said 4 months ago

It looks as though you have to do all the requirements for Sport Coach in order to complete the Club Coach.? That chart on the AC website is difficult to read and a bit confusing. A clearer description would help.
    How about U.S. certifications? USATF, USTFCCCA etc. Some really good courses there. Can any of that count towards NCCP?
    Thanks John for coming on here to clarify things.

Quote comment
  • jlofranco User since:
    Apr 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #18 

The pathway is being updated. You will not need Sport Coach to do Club Coach going forward. We plan to release communication tools when everything is ready, so as not to confuse. So right now we are kind of between things.

Canadian coaches must do NCCP. to get NCCP credit. Only foreign coaches can benefit from USATF or IAAF transfer. We will publish a policy on this as well, so again, that's the intent but we will go through a process to confirm it over the summer. That said, all coaches can certainly benefit from them, and they would be considered as Professional Development in order to maintain NCCP certification.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #19 

What I think would be helpful is a list of coaches that are willing to take on a new development coach. I would like to learn to coach alongside an established coach but don't know who is willing to work with someone new (to coaching but not as an athlete). I have approached a couple coaches over the years but none of them wanted to mentor me or anyone else.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #20 

"has this survey actually been done ? I know of many nccp trained and certified coaches who have never received any info about this survey."

Yes it was done in BC. Too many complaints about the learning facilitators and that the courses weren't being run properly. .

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #21 

"Yes it was done in BC. Too many complaints about the learning facilitators and that the courses weren't being run properly. ."

It wasn't limited to BC it was limited to coaches who had done NCCP training in the last couple years.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1