Looks like it takes Steve and Leslie to replace Brant

Show Original Post
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #26 

Buddy said 1 week ago

Uh how do I say this?
    Look at some pictures of Canada's top 50 sprinters then go have a gander at every roster of every varsity team at Queens and you'll have your answer :) insert smiley emoji here

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Will Queens ever have a sprint team"

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #27 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

"Instead of 1500m Night, start a 5000m Night in KTown!"

Kingston is windy AF. Could be a tough 12.5 laps.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #28 

Queen’s used to have a full Track & Field program under Coach Torcolacci, but not maybe for the last 10 years or so.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #29 

Certainly Not Skuj said 1 week ago

It is painfully obvious where many of these comments are heading, and who is making them.

3/10 for the sprint-coach story.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #30 

Quoting: Certainly Not Skuj
    "It is painfully obvious where many of these comments are heading, and who is making them.

3/10 for the sprint-coach story."

Hmm... That’s interesting since I have no idea who you are or why you would know who I am.

I did offer to help support my JUMPER and had a multiple conversations with Brant about ways to make that happen, though the club does do throws and sprints and have a training facility 45min away from Queens where the Kingston based athlete had been training for the previous 3 years.

This was not the first time that I had offered to allow the successful high school and U18 athletes I have coached continue to train in events not offered by the school, especially when Queens was a varsity club and not a team (eg had to cover costs).

I’m not sure where you think it is heading as Queens has a very successful distance team and I have great respect for all the athletes, but of course there are student athletes who made academic decisions wish they could compete in their events.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #31 

Will Queen’s aim to add Track & Field back at some point in the future, after having removed it as a Varsity Sport year’s past?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #32 

"It is painfully obvious where many of these comments are heading, and who is making them.

3/10 for the sprint-coach story."

Who is it and where is it heading? It seems pathetic that an institution as large as queens cannot support a full track and field team, so athletes need to look elsewhere to complete their studies.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #33 

Oldster said 1 week ago

If anyone is truly interested in getting further info on our track team, they can feel free to contact me directly.

We have not offered jumps or throws at Queen's for almost 10 years now, so anyone who enrolled expecting to be able to compete in these events would have known they were taking a big chance re: opportunities to compete for the university*. In short, since we lack coaching and proper facilities for these events, and have a limited roster size, we have chosen not to offer opportunities to athletes to do them, even if they have their own coaching arrangements. Making individual exceptions would encourage others without such arrangements to make inquiries, or maybe even to accept an offer of admission to the university assuming they would be allowed to compete in the jumps or throws. This wouldn't be good for anyone concerned.

Queen's will not have a full Track and FIELD team until such time as we have our own facilities. In the meantime, we will continue to offer opportunities to compete in ALL running events for qualified aspirants (and see our program page for performance standards), with championships berths going to those who meet internal performance standards and are top three in the program in their event. When it comes to running, we operate just as any other program in our league.

*To the anon claiming that an assistant Queen's coach suggested there may be opportunities to jump or throw for Queen's at any point in the new future, I'm sure you are mistaken (if you even exist, as such.)

This post was edited by Oldster 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #34 

"Hmm... That’s interesting since I have no idea who you are or why you would know who I am.

I did offer to help support my JUMPER and had a multiple conversations with Brant about ways to make that happen, though the club does do throws and sprints and have a training facility 45min away from Queens where the Kingston based athlete had been training for the previous 3 years.

This was not the first time that I had offered to allow the successful high school and U18 athletes I have coached continue to train in events not offered by the school, especially when Queens was a varsity club and not a team (eg had to cover costs).

I’m not sure where you think it is heading as Queens has a very successful distance team and I have great respect for all the athletes, but of course there are student athletes who made academic decisions wish they could compete in their events."

45 min, Belleville, Brockville?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #35 

Certainly Not Skuj said 1 week ago

Quoting: Oldster

*To the anon claiming that an assistant Queen's coach suggested their may be opportunities to jump or throw for Queen's at any point in the new future, I'm sure you are mistaken (if you even exist, as such.)"

Precisely! Hence the 3/10. We know this drill really well by now.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #36 

Oldster said 6 days ago

"Precisely! Hence the 3/10. We know this drill really well by now."

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe 3/1o for originality and plausibility, but 11/10 for indefatigability. Some of these "contributors" have been at this stuff for literally years! Misplaced as it is, this kind of single-mindedness is weirdly admirable.

P.S. If I'm wrong and you're for real, anon coach, do email me personally if you have questions or concerns about our track program. I will happily elaborate on exactly how we do things. With jumpers and throwers, I am always very quick to inform them that we can't accommodate them in our program, and that they are best to look at OUAs schools with full facilities if they would like to compete for a university in our league.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #37 

Anonymous said 6 days ago

Didn’t Queen’s have CIAU/CIS medallists in Jumps, Throws, Hurdles and Pentathlon at one time? How did the facilities change for the worse since many years ago?

Quote comment
  • mounty User since:
    Sep 26th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #38 

Mounty said 6 days ago

"Didn’t Queen’s have CIAU/CIS medallists in Jumps, Throws, Hurdles and Pentathlon at one time? How did the facilities change for the worse since many years ago?"

Someone with more info can fill in the gaps, but a combination of things lead to lack of facilities for field events.

Phase 1 of the new Queen's Athletics and Recreation Center (ARC) opened in early 2012. The original project was supposed to have three phases, with phase 3 including a field house on main campus. The project went over budget requiring major changes, and I believe there is now no plan in any immediate future for a field house. The old athletics center (the PEC) had some space that the track team would use for some jumps and throws, but that space no longer exists due to construction and expansion of the ARC.

The team uses RMC's indoor track during the winter, and at some point, they stopped allowing use of the sand pits for long/triple jump practice.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #39 

Oldster said 6 days ago

Quoting: Mounty
    "Someone with more info can fill in the gaps, but a combination of things lead to lack of facilities for field events.

Phase 1 of the new Queen's Athletics and Recreation Center (ARC) opened in early 2012. The original project was supposed to have three phases, with phase 3 including a field house on main campus. The project went over budget requiring major changes, and I believe there is now no plan in any immediate future for a field house. The old athletics center (the PEC) had some space that the track team would use for some jumps and throws, but that space no longer exists due to construction and expansion of the ARC.

The team uses RMC's indoor track during the winter, and at some point, they stopped allowing use of the sand pits for long/triple jump practice."

This is it in a nutshell, Mounty. The old PEC did have rudimentary facilities in the basement for many years. (As a kid, I actually high jumped down there, and, during my time as a Queen's undergrad, I have a memory of guys pole vaulting in an adjacent space-- something that couldn't be insured for any amount of money today!). But compared with the track they/we ran on (a square, 2 lane, rubberized 200m jogging space above the hockey rink) the PEC basement was positively state of the art.

For a while, it looked like the new military community field house might provide an alternative (it opened in 2001), but the powers that be gradually phased out the jumps spaces (I don't think they ever allowed throwing), largely because RMC stopped offering a full track and field team. The track (a very good 200m mondo surface) has remained, however, and was actually resurfaced last year. As a result, even without our own facility, we are amply facilitated for indoor track training. We would like nothing more than to have our own field house, and a full track and field team, but for now we are well positioned to offer runners a chance to do their thing.

And, to quash a persistent misconception, track operates like a full varsity sport for anyone who meets one of our internal performance standards, even though it is officially designated as a "club" (an administrative distinction that has no discernible effect for qualified athletes). As I said, when it comes to running, we operate like any other team in our league, including similar qualifications procedures, roster sizes, team fees, etc.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #40 

JUCO said 6 days ago

Team fees? team fees? really? OMG :(

sooo Canadian :(

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 12
    Report    REPLY #41 

Anonymous said 5 days ago

Quoting: JUCO
    "Team fees? team fees? really? OMG :(

sooo Canadian :("

They be charging over $500 to run and have no facilities. Queens really be wild

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #42 

Certainly Not Skuj said 5 days ago

Don't you ever get tired of replying to yourself?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #43 

Anonymous said 5 days ago

Looks like 1 poster is using what is clearly great news for the Kingston and Queen's running community to get in a bunch of petty digs because they dislike Boyd. This thread really has nothing to do with the announcement, which even in the first post the mispelled club name and dig at incoming coaches was obviously trying to shit on anything positive for this group, glad they didn't bother to respond.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #44 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "We actually see it the other way around-- that having a few post-collegians around is good for the university program-- but they are mutually beneficial for sure. "

Ssshhhhhhh don't tell the UofA you might mess up their cross team up there

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #45 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

"They be charging over $500 to run and have no facilities. Queens really be wild"

Need the money for their 1-3 football team.

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1