LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Apr 1st, 2006
thumbs_up 2
Report  ORIGINAL

Cummings said 1 year ago

Lower Back Pain?

Anyone ever had lower back pain when running? Particularly uphill...I did a tempo today and my back tightened up and gave me discomfort when running uphill or trying to increase speed. Tempo was a little over 5km. This happened to me last week as well although it wasn't as bad this week. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or has had a similar issue before. I pretty much just swam and XC skied all winter, and only really ran on soft snow so I am guessing my body just needs to adjust to the pounding again; my body was in desperate need of a break last fall so I elected to do mostly non-impact activities the past 4-5 months.

It wasn't an acute pain, more like a dull ache that affected my efficiency. I did a lot of work in the weight room this winter as well to address functional weakness in my hips; glutes, and upper body. I have never had issues with my back before so I am bit perplexed by it. Doesn't hurt when running easy or when hammering out fast intervals (I did 10x 150m and 3x 400m after the tempo for some speed); I only have discomfort when running continuously at threshold or Vo2 max.

Any help would be appreciated. I am guessing this is just a "getting used to the pounding after time off thing" but figured it would be useful to discuss in case there is something I am missing. Thanks in advance.

TC

Quote comment
  • meizner User since:
    Oct 8th, 2013
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #1 

Meizner said 1 year ago

This may sounds glib but if it really isn't limiting you too much and isn't getting worse just keep rolling and it will likely go away. Have had many strange pains/ discomforts of that sort and others. Fortunately 99% of them come and go..... it's the 1% that get ya!

Generally speaking it could be anything from a disc bulge irritating a nerve root, facet joint irritation, SI joint problem, muscle spasm etc.... most of these go away on their own.

Quote comment
  • cummings User since:
    Apr 1st, 2006
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #2 

Cummings said 1 year ago

Quoting: Meizner
    "This may sounds glib but if it really isn't limiting you too much and isn't getting worse just keep rolling and it will likely go away. Have had many strange pains/ discomforts of that sort and others. Fortunately 99% of them come and go..... it's the 1% that get ya!

Generally speaking it could be anything from a disc bulge irritating a nerve root, facet joint irritation, SI joint problem, muscle spasm etc.... most of these go away on their own."

Doesn't sound glib at all. Your view was/is my suspicion, just keep running...Back stuff could mean many things, I've had every injury under the sun but never back stuff. Had me curious to see what others have dealt with.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #3 

Really Am Skuj said 1 year ago

Lower back has always been my achilles heel. Usually appears when I am stressed out and I ignore good posture. Also appears when my hamstrings are tight. I believe that working on core muscles can help greatly with lower back problems, and the related causes. The Superman exercise has often done a lot n my case, to relieve the stiffness when I have it.

Quote comment
  • cummings User since:
    Apr 1st, 2006
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #4 

Cummings said 1 year ago

Quoting: Really Am Skuj
    "Lower back has always been my achilles heel. Usually appears when I am stressed out and I ignore good posture. Also appears when my hamstrings are tight. I believe that working on core muscles can help greatly with lower back problems, and the related causes. The Superman exercise has often done a lot n my case, to relieve the stiffness when I have it."

Yeah I threw the Superman back into my weight routine, thanks for this. Back feels less tight already after a morning session.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #5 

Andrew Jones said 1 year ago

I pretty much just swam and XC skied all winter, and only really ran on soft snow so I am guessing my body just needs to adjust to the pounding again; my body was in desperate need of a break last fall so I elected to do mostly non-impact activities the past 4-5 months.

Travis, I XC skied and ran sparingly this winter, and now that I'm doing more running have also experienced some lower-back tightness and aches. As Matt (Meizner) said just keep 'er going and it should clear up. Mine has.

Quote comment
  • cummings User since:
    Apr 1st, 2006
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #6 

Cummings said 1 year ago

Quoting: Andrew Jones
    " I pretty much just swam and XC skied all winter, and only really ran on soft snow so I am guessing my body just needs to adjust to the pounding again; my body was in desperate need of a break last fall so I elected to do mostly non-impact activities the past 4-5 months.

Travis, I XC skied and ran sparingly this winter, and now that I'm doing more running have also experienced some lower-back tightness and aches. As Matt (Meizner) said just keep 'er going and it should clear up. Mine has."

Thanks Andrew, helps me out. Spring's has been delayed in Alberta this year so haven't exactly been able to spend a ton of time running on harder surfaces.

This post was edited by Cummings 1 year ago . 
    Quote comment
  • petesakes User since:
    Apr 21st, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #7 

petesakes said 1 year ago

Travis,

I suffered from reoccurring back pain for years. I finally licked it by doing more core training, and vastly improving my lower back flexibility. I rarely have any discomfort now.

Quote comment
  • benjaminburr User since:
    Feb 23rd, 2013
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #8 

benjaminburr said 1 year ago

Back between 2011 and 2013 I was having back pain problems once or twice a year from sitting at a desk all day. Some of it was upper back and shoulders, usually acute, but the rest was lower back and usually more generalized. I had a couple of times where the pain was so sharp I couldn't run. That was mostly the upper back. I had one time with my lower back where I woke up and couldn't sit up and had to roll out of bed onto the floor. That one ended up being my glutes.

The first few times I just went and got a physiotherapist to help me work it out. Eventually, I decided to try to get ahead of it and started working with a physio I ran with at the time, Karen Gilbert-Tyssen in London - she's posted Trackie Tips in the past. We met every 3-4 weeks for almost a year and worked on preventative stuff. I haven't had anything since, though I've sort of fallen off the wagon with this stuff the last while and haven't been running as much either, so I'm sure I'll have something happen eventually.

We built up about 10-15 minutes of exercises that I made into a habit and did once a day in the gym at work before I headed out for my second run, or at home on the weekends. There were some stretches, mostly with a rope. Example: https://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/active-isolated-stretching-exercises - the Whartons were the guys we were basing it on, if I recall correctly, so that should give you a pretty good idea of what sort of stretching we did. As far as stretching goes, that stuff has been the most effective for me. We also did some dynamic movements with medicine balls, some balance stuff with swiss balls - be careful with that - and some dynamic movements on solid ground or a bosu ball - again, don't hurt yourself. The bosu ball stuff especially worked great for me. High knees while balanced on the bosu ball, focusing on staying upright with a slight forward lean, trying to mimic proper running form as in active mobility drills, is an example of that. Most of it was focused on the glutes and some of the smaller stabilizers in the lower back.

If you have physiotherapy coverage through your benefits at work, assuming you're long-term where you're teaching, you could likely do something similar with someone who works with skiers and runners and work out something that will stop the problem from recurring.

Quote comment
  • cummings User since:
    Apr 1st, 2006
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

Cummings said 1 year ago

Thanks fellas. I've been strengthening glutes and ignoring other core areas, so I think that is the crux of the problem. These are great ideas, very helpful!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #10 

Anonymous said 1 year ago

One thing that really helped me get rid of back pain was changing my shoes and adding orthotics to it. Felt amazing during and after my runs. Cheers

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #11 

I get something similar, and oddly enough, its weight lifting that helps it go away (with some mobility work too). But something about the weight on my shoulders helps activate everything else, and my body then supports my back better. go figure

Quote comment
  • davidmiller User since:
    Apr 7th, 2018
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #12 

davidmiller said 1 year ago

For serious back pain, you should contact the doctor. But at initially, you can change your sitting posture as well as sleeping position. Bad mattress causes lower back pain. And, wrong sitting posture and wrong chair also causes back pain. You can read the helpful article to learn more.

http://www.reclinergenie.com/10-ways-to-relieve-lower-back-pain-when-standing-from-sitting/

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #13 

Quoting: davidmiller
    "For serious back pain, you should contact the doctor. But at initially, you can change your sitting posture as well as sleeping position. Bad mattress causes lower back pain. And, wrong sitting posture and wrong chair also causes back pain. You can read the helpful article to learn more.

http://www.reclinergenie.com/10-ways-to-relieve-lower-back-pain-when-standing-from-sitting/"

How many us are reading this in a completely hunched position with our laptops sitting on our laps....the irony

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitmelanieg User since:
    Mar 22nd, 2019
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #14 

melanieg said 1 month ago

That's tough and I totally understand how you feel. A few months after I gave birth in 2017, I decided to start running in order to shed the few pounds I had gained. I've never really experienced back pain before but during that time, I did. The doctor ended up diagnosing me with si joint dysfunction and lower back pain.

I didn't want to stop running because I really needed to lose weight. What I did to reduce my pain was buying a new pair of running shoes that had proper cushioning, running shoes that are specifically designed to offer maximum support for your back. You can check out this post about choosing the right athletic shoes.:

webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/how-choose-athletic-shoes#1

I also found some great running shoes for lower back pain recommendations here:

backcoretherapy.com/best-running-shoes-for-bad-backs/

So be sure to consider the running shoes you're wearing when running. They could be causing your back pain..you never know. Of course, be sure to visit a doc.

This post was edited by melanieg 1 month ago . 
    Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1