Elementary School XC Super Meet
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Jun 8th, 2015
thumbs_up 2
Report  ORIGINAL

Buddy said 5 months ago

No parking at OFSAA

Just a heads up for those coming from out of the 6ix.
On a regular winter night where there's a hundred kids running around that indoor track there is no parking at York unless you arrive before 5:00pm.
SO plan for it now there will be zero zilch parking at OFSAA track this June.

Unless ofcourse they reserved that lot over by the tennis court, then there will be 100 spots :)

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #1 

Obvious said 5 months ago

On a regular winter night, YorkU is still in regular academic session (when not on strike).

Are you expecting full class schedules to be taking place during OFSAA?

Did you check what the OFSAA championship site has to say about parking?
    http://www.ofsaa.on.ca/track-field/venues-hotels/parking-information

Summer weekends have plenty of space in the two lots on the upper right, even when a major AO meet is taking place (800+ entrants).

There are also several other large lots on the York campus that still wouldn't be a 10 minute walk from the stadium.

They also managed to handle far bigger crowds when hosting Pan Ams, so your fear-mongering might be a little over-stated.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #2 

The White Rabbit said 5 months ago

1. If you don't mind walking there is always free parking at Canlan Ice Sports Complex which is a 5minute walk from the Pan Am Track. This is where I park for meets and have never paid for parking at York once.
    2. On weekends, subway stations have free parking access
    3. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre has several lots outside that you can park at during the day. Pioneer Village station is right across from the Pan Am Track which makes subway access the easiest access.
    4. There is a lot across the street on Steeles Avenue, right across from the Toronto Track and Field Centre track. That lot is kind of a park at your own risk, but I do it in the winter time for up to 2 hours in the evenings and get away with it. You can also do it on weekends.
    5. My honest opinion is to park at the Downsview Park Flee market and walk a couple of minutes to the new Downsview Park Subway station, and ride the subway 3 stops North (Finch West, York University, Pioneer Village) and get off at Pioneer Village. This will literally take you all of 10-15minutes and you will be closer to the highway from Downsview.

Hope this has helped anyone looking to save a little money.

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #3 

Buddy said 5 months ago

my walk at PanAm was 30 minutes, yes on campus

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #4 

Buddy said 5 months ago

Does not help Nonna & Nonno

Quoting: The White Rabbit
    "1. If you don't mind walking there is always free parking at Canlan Ice Sports Complex which is a 5minute walk from the Pan Am Track. This is where I park for meets and have never paid for parking at York once.
    2. On weekends, subway stations have free parking access
    3. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre has several lots outside that you can park at during the day. Pioneer Village station is right across from the Pan Am Track which makes subway access the easiest access.
    4. There is a lot across the street on Steeles Avenue, right across from the Toronto Track and Field Centre track. That lot is kind of a park at your own risk, but I do it in the winter time for up to 2 hours in the evenings and get away with it. You can also do it on weekends.
    5. My honest opinion is to park at the Downsview Park Flee market and walk a couple of minutes to the new Downsview Park Subway station, and ride the subway 3 stops North (Finch West, York University, Pioneer Village) and get off at Pioneer Village. This will literally take you all of 10-15minutes and you will be closer to the highway from Downsview.

Hope this has helped anyone looking to save a little money."

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #5 

Anonymous said 5 months ago

I have found when coming to meets at York that there is precious little parking close to the track allocated for disabled parking, so yes, parking at OFSAA will be an issue. While my athletes do not require accommodation , myself as their coach DOES (though thank goodness for the number of parents who have brought my vehicle around and athletes who have ran out to my car for things I’ve needed when the 3 or 4 spots have been taken or blocked). That part is definitely poorly planned at this facility, especially since there are Para events included on the schedule. If there are not enough spots during a small AO meet, this will be much worse.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #6 

Should we expect to be held up at picket likes?

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #7 

Quoting: Buddy
    "my walk at PanAm was 30 minutes, yes on campus"

When you make such silly exaggerations, it's hard to take anything you say seriously.

A reasonably healthy male can walk close to 10 min/km.

What parking lot at York, or what random walk are you taking where you required 30 minutes to get to the Pan Am stadium?

From the far side of the lot by the Canlan arena it is literally a stones throw longer than 1km.

From the south east lot on the south side of The Pond Rd (the farthest lot still on the YorkU campus), less than 1.4km.

Any other lots are going to be less - i.e. less than a 10 minute walk for just about anyone attending OFSAA. (If you think OFSAA site selection should be based on ensuring that there are hundreds of options for your nonna and nonno to be able to park mere steps from the stadium, then you have misplaced priorities.)

There are literally thousands of spots on the Keele campus and between those and the numerous TTC, GO and York Region buses/subways, are able to allow a campus to serve tens of thousands of students and faculty.

It's a real struggle to understand how you think a few thousand spectators at OFSAA outside the academic year will put any kind of strain on the infrastructure.

(Note also that several of the closer parking lots were closed for Pan Ams or for subway construction, yet other than your fantasy 30 minute walk, there were no reported complaints when many more people came than will attend OFSAA.)

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #8 

Buddy said 5 months ago

It's hard to take you serious when you speak of Toronto and "there were no reported complaints" (about parking)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
    you are one funny mofo!

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #9 

Quoting: Buddy
    "It's hard to take you serious when you speak of Toronto and "there were no reported complaints" (about parking)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
    you are one funny mofo!"

Relating specifically to the Pan Am Games T&F competition in 2015, can you please provide some references to how parking was somehow so onerous?

Not referring to your fantasy 30 minute walk anecdote either.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Should we expect to be held up at picket likes?"

From my experiences, I would say yes but for weekdays only up until about 3:30 pm. Estimate an extra 20-30 minutes. The weekend should be fine.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #11 

Will unionized teachers actually cross these picket lines?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #12 

The White Rabbit said 5 months ago

For those that want to possibly avoid any potential picket lines assuming the strike does not end, I would suggest just taking my advice above and subwaying or parking on the North side of Steeles Avenue across from the Toronto Track & Field Centre. Just be careful when crossing the road. If there are grandparents or any persons with some form of physical disability or impairment, subwaying is not a bad idea. There are elevators in all the new stations, and the walk from Pioneer Village station to the Pan Am Track via the south exit of the bus bay, is only a 150m walk. Hope this helps, and good luck to all qualifiers.

Quote comment
  • mom-on-the-run User since:
    Jun 10th, 2017
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #13 

Mom on the run said 4 months ago

Maybe times have changed, but many years ago we all took the TTC to meets if we lived in Toronto. And there was no subway to York U, and we still got there on crammed TTC busses. Maybe athletes are catered a bit today, but I don't see them being a lot faster! Good luck to everyone going!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #14 

The White Rabbit said 4 months ago

Quoting: Mom on the run
    "Maybe times have changed, but many years ago we all took the TTC to meets if we lived in Toronto. And there was no subway to York U, and we still got there on crammed TTC busses. Maybe athletes are catered a bit today, but I don't see them being a lot faster! Good luck to everyone going!"

Eh lady, not everyone is from Toronto.
    Maybe after people drive from 5-6 hours out (Windsor to the West, Ottawa to the East), they don't want to sit on some TTC bus, especially when most outside of Toronto don't even know which TTC buses they can take. Stop making it more work than it is. You know what else has changed Mom on the run, the damn traffic in the City of Toronto, especially during morning and afternoon rush hour. So no one wants to hear your comments. You haven't contributed one bit to the Thread Name which clearly is No Parking At OFSAA.

To those that may want to know more about parking, you may also want to look into 407 Station. I believe they have a massive lot but I'm not 100% on this. You can park the and take the subway 1 station south. Those coming from Barrie area, the Go Train stops at Downsview Park station and it will take you 5minutes to get to Pioneer Village station once you pass Finch West, York University, then get off at Pioneer Village. You will be able to leave the car at home. Not sure if this will save you some money or time.

Quote comment
  • master2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #15 

Master2B said 4 months ago

The new TTC stop at York is right beside the original track and across the street from the Pan Am stadium. There’s no need to take a bus or to be rude to someone making a suggestion.

I’ve been up there twice in the past 2 weeks for elementary meets (simulteously run at both tracks) and parking was not an issue. A lot of schools and parents took the subwsy. I parked for $10 all day at the Canlan lot.

We didn’t have to cross any picket lines. I’ve heard the OFSAA meet directors are looking into other venues, just in case it becomes a problem.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #16 

Anonymous said 4 months ago

Perhaps no college coaches will want to cross the picket lines.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #17 

winnerwinner said 4 months ago

Take the TTC, pack light just 1 water bottle and a granola bar.
    Eat lunch off the food trucks your choice of grease or melted cheese on fake potatoes.
    I'll be in the shade with my cooler full of performance-enhancing fuel waiting to destroy you muahahaaaaaa

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #18 

apparently the high school teachers union is being encouraged to not cross the picket lines. could be a huge fiasco?

Quote comment
  • track-west-founder User since:
    Jan 22nd, 2018
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #19 

Track West founder said 4 months ago

Why is it necessary to create a huge controversy? Granted, having a strike possibly still on at York University when OFSAA is being held is not the ideal situation. However:
    1. There will be plenty of parking in a variety of lots.
    2. The teachers' federation (OSSTF) are being encouraged to support their fellow strikers but the principal can designate a person or persons to act on behalf of the school.
    3. Pioneer Village subway stop is a 1 minute walk to the stadium. I would hope that many Toronto athletes and quite a few out of Toronto athletes and coaches would use the subway.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #20 

HS Coach said 4 months ago

Quoting: Track West founder
    "2. The teachers' federation (OSSTF) are being encouraged to support their fellow strikers but the principal can designate a person or persons to act on behalf of the school."

Can't make this comment with my account (sorry Steve, there are some legitimate reasons to post anonymously) but OSSTF can go to hell. See everyone (at least those worth seeing) at OFSAA!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #21 

You won't be seeing anybody named Steve at OFSAA he's not permitted to cross the line.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #22 

Quoting: Track West founder
    "Why is it necessary to create a huge controversy? Granted, having a strike possibly still on at York University when OFSAA is being held is not the ideal situation. However:

2. The teachers' federation (OSSTF) are being encouraged to support their fellow strikers but the principal can designate a person or persons to act on behalf of the school.

You honestly think OFSAA is a go if every unionized teacher/coach refuses to cross the picket line? And that's NOT a huge controversy?

This post was edited by a Moderator [Issues] 4 months ago . 
    Message from Moderator:
    Fixed quote
    If you have issues/questions please contact moderator@trackie.com.
    Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1