NYT on Cain, Salazar, and Nike

Show Original Post
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #76 

NC Blogger said 1 week ago

Quoting: petesakes
    "Have any of you guys read the Bekele article yet? In it, Jos Hermens and company spend a lot of time discussing the fact that they thought Kenenisa was too overweight to race well. They discuss his poor diet, being overweight, and what they needed to do in order to get him to finally lose the extra pounds to get down to an elite weight to race quickly. So if a world class coach spends the same amount of time discussing nutrition and proper elite racing weight with a woman, it's abuse? Seems like a double standard to me.
    https://www.worldathletics.org/news/feature/kenenisa-bekele-more-to-prove"

"Back home in Ethiopia, Kenenisa couldn't get his weight quite right, explains Hermens. He was eating restaurant food from his hotel in Addis, but this isn't the best food for an athlete.

Armand gave him a diet of simple, plain food, which included proteins, rice and potatoes, vegetables and high-fibre food with support from our partner, Daily Fresh Food.

Kenenisa gave daily feedback, what he liked and what he didn't. If he ate too little, we would assess whether this would then have an effect on his training and make the necessary adjustments.

I missed the part about being weighed in front of everyone and being shamed for not making weight.

I read a coach who is helping an athlete eat well (even suggesting eating too little might impact his training).

Also, I never found the place in the article where it mentions the food restrictions meant KB's diet was causing his body to not develop properly and causing bone density issues. 40 year old man, 17 year old girl....tad difference possibly?

This post was edited by NC Blogger 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #77 

BestCoach said 1 week ago

Any self harming, cutting or suicidal thoughts going on?

"Have any of you guys read the Bekele article yet? In it, Jos Hermens and company spend a lot of time discussing the fact that they thought Kenenisa was too overweight to race well. They discuss his poor diet, being overweight, and what they needed to do in order to get him to finally lose the extra pounds to get down to an elite weight to race quickly. So if a world class coach spends the same amount of time discussing nutrition and proper elite racing weight with a woman, it's abuse? Seems like a double standard to me.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #78 

AthleticsIllustrated said 1 week ago

Seriously, Pete?

It is a manifestation of the slightly less obvious differences between men and women and more importantly, in this example, man in comparison to an adolescent girl.

You do know by now that weight is a highly - *extremely* - sensitive subject to bring up with almost all teenage girls, yes? And the occasional boy.

I wish the culture would change so adolescent girls could deal with the subject at face value, but I have absolutely no idea how that could happen. You can tell me I am fat to my face 100 times per day - I could care less. If you said that when I was 17, I would have laughed - and no, I would not have internalized it. So it took me forever to grasp this.

But North American culture is so bent on the perfect body image.

But it's a very different world with teenage girls and highly complex (I think). No way would I risk saying anything, never mind shaming her to her face. Why risk the potential outcomes?

You see the results with girls going to the NCAA sometimes. Some of them just get eaten alive (no pun intended there) by a coach/system just desperate to pound greatness into a young athlete. The NCAA is rife with eating disorders, and self-esteem issues and often girls - not always - will come back defeated and injured and not want to run again.

But Salazar was one step further down the road of hell with shaming girls. Mentioning weight is one thing, shaming? Weighing in front of teammates, yelling at her at a meet?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #79 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Here is the part of the article discussing his diet...
    "In conjunction with the body strengthening programme, he was also put on a specific nutritional programme with the help of leading Dutch sports nutritional professional Armand Bettonviel.

Bekele had arrived in Nijmegen overweight but with each meal diligently prepared he slowly shed the pounds.

“Back home in Ethiopia, Kenenisa couldn’t get his weight quite right,” explains Hermens. “He was eating restaurant food from his hotel in Addis, but this isn’t the best food for an athlete.

“Armand gave him a diet of simple, plain food, which included proteins, rice and potatoes, vegetables and high-fibre food with support from our partner, Daily Fresh Food.

“Kenenisa gave daily feedback, what he liked and what he didn’t. If he ate too little, we would assess whether this would then have an effect on his training and make the necessary adjustments.”

So this involved a sports nutrition professional and Bekele had input/feedback.
    Seems like the antithesis of what was going on with Mary Cain.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #80 

I don't think the petesakes was implying that what happened to Mary was appropriate or condonable. I think he was making a general comment that even the greatest distance runner of all time who likely runs 120+ miles per week needs to watch his diet and his body composition.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #81 

Suomynona said 1 week ago

Several posts here have (rightly) hit back at Pete, but I want to ask Pete something:

Was it ok what Salazar did? You don't see any "abuse" there?

"So if a world class coach spends the same amount of time discussing nutrition and proper elite racing weight with a woman, it's abuse? Seems like a double standard to me."

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #82 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/14/sports/olympics/alberto-salazar-nike.html#click=https://t.co/Ur5yXl2HNp

Another interesting article

Quote comment
  • powerboy User since:
    Dec 11th, 2014
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #83 

powerboy said 4 days ago

Back to Salazar... More info has come out that paints Salazar as an absolute jerk and worse. He asked an athlete to sign a contract that she wouldn't make friends with other teammates! What the hell does that even mean? He kicked the same girl off the team (6th ranked in the country at 10k) because he decided her ass was too big! The only way that bad actors can be dealt with is by calling them out. Shame on all the much older members of that group for allowing Mary Cain to be bullied. And Cam Levins (who may actually read this blog) double shame on you. Don't write about it after the fact. Step up!

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitape User since:
    Oct 28th, 2013
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #84 

Ape said 3 days ago

Just a follow up to my last post.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2042876/pursuit-excellence-healthy

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1