Jonathan said 1 year ago

Ofsaa XC 2019 predictions

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #351 

FITZ said 4 weeks ago

Quoting: KTOWN
    "As Brant said they are all PK athletes from Kingston. Are all the CWOSSAA athletes from one club in 1 city?"

JB SG and SB are all from Waterloo 3 different schools but all 3 are Laurel Creek athletes. FYI one of the biggest reasons that Cwossa wossa and swossa are so tough and ofsaa west is so tough is because of the active coaching through the numerous clubs in our region. There are at least 8 active clubs in CWOSSA alone

Quote comment
  • kinrunner User since:
    Sep 27th, 2013
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #352 

KinRunner said 4 weeks ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "As one might expect based on the regional analysis above, CWOSSAA further cements their place as the top region through this method as well

NG-2nd
    JG-3rd
    JB-5th
    SG-1st (and 4th)
    SB-2nd"

Absolutely props to everyone. I certainly wasn't trying to start a region war just pointing out ( in a nice non bashing way) to a poster who mis judged their predictions.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #353 

Anonymous said 4 weeks ago

Quoting: FITZ
    "JB SG and SB are all from Waterloo 3 different schools but all 3 are Laurel Creek athletes. FYI one of the biggest reasons that Cwossa wossa and swossa are so tough and ofsaa west is so tough is because of the active coaching through the numerous clubs in our region. There are at least 8 active clubs in CWOSSA alone"

This is an interesting comment.
    Would be interesting to research relative numbers in other regions given the number of active clubs. Bottom line CWOSSA region should do well given the very high number of active clubs.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #354 

Season is over lets concentrate on 2020 Preds from now on

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #355 

Quoting: FITZ
    "JB SG and SB are all from Waterloo 3 different schools but all 3 are Laurel Creek athletes. FYI one of the biggest reasons that Cwossa wossa and swossa are so tough and ofsaa west is so tough is because of the active coaching through the numerous clubs in our region. There are at least 8 active clubs in CWOSSA alone"

You disrespect the highschool programs that support these athletes. Without the highschool coaches, you would only be a club program and no-one would care.

It is the highschool programs that send athletes to your clubs.

Look at the # of comments regarding nationals vs. OFSAA. The majority of OFSAA athletes won't even bother to compete at Nat's anyway.

Sure, many of the individual athletes belong to a club, but the team titles are won with the support of the highschool athletes that never join a club.

Your comment supports why OFSAA was considering a "club" stream for highschool athletes, much like swimming.

Quote comment
  • powerboy User since:
    Dec 11th, 2014
    thumbs_up 12
    Report    REPLY #356 

powerboy said 4 weeks ago

"You disrespect the highschool programs that support these athletes. Without the highschool coaches, you would only be a club program and no-one would care.

Look at the # of comments regarding nationals vs. OFSAA. The majority of OFSAA athletes won't even bother to compete at Nat's anyway.

Sure, many of the individual athletes belong to a club, but the team titles are won with the support of the highschool athletes that never join a club.

Your comment supports why OFSAA was considering a "club" stream for highschool athletes, much like swimming."

Your comment might have been more accurate 20, even 30 years ago, but it is hard to deny that the clubs and club coaches are the life blood of the sport. In the GTA, which is obviously the largest population in the province, there are not more than a very few (5?, 10?) schools that run a comprehensive program.

That is not their fault. Our sport is a 12 month sport, but on the school calendar its sept-nov and then April to june. Without the clubs and dedicated coaches, track would be more of a participation sport.

Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #357 

NC Blogger said 3 weeks ago

"You disrespect the highschool programs that support these athletes. Without the highschool coaches, you would only be a club program and no-one would care. It is the highschool programs that send athletes to your clubs. Look at the # of comments regarding nationals vs. OFSAA. The majority of OFSAA athletes won't even bother to compete at Nat's anyway. Sure, many of the individual athletes belong to a club, but the team titles are won with the support of the highschool athletes that never join a club. Your comment supports why OFSAA was considering a "club" stream for highschool athletes, much like swimming."

I don't think there is any disrespect towards the HS programs. Fitz is just stating facts. Active year round coaching, if done properly, is bound to create more competitive athletes.

You are correct that OFSAA generates more hype than National Juniors, largely due to the fact that there are many more competitors at OFSAA, many who are mutli-sport athletes, not solely runners. Many of these athletes do not want to run year round, but focus on other activities, and that is fine. Most of them recognize they are in tough against the athletes that train year round, but find success as part of a team.

I have been fortunate to have teams win OFSAA team medals with several club athletes on them, and with teams that have no club athletes on them, and of course, most commonly, a combination of both. High School does provide opportunities to expose athletes to competitive running and "send [some] athletes to clubs." But the clubs also support the year round development of the athlete as Phil pointed out, which HS do not. In fact, we have seasons of play which place rules around training out of season.

This post was edited by NC Blogger 3 weeks ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #358 

Anonymous said 3 weeks ago

Unfortunately, not all schools have qualified coaches for track, This is absolutely no disrespect to the teachers that do it but I have seen schools that do not have a coach so a teacher will step up that has no knowledge of the different events but just wants to be able to help out and offer a program so athletes can participate.

Also, a lot of schools do not have the necessary facilities or equipment needed. This is especially true with hurdles, high jump mats, pole vault, etc.

I will say that one of the places it is most evident as to the level of coaching are the hurdles. They are very technical and you can see who is just hopping over the hurdles and who has been taught, I worry that someone will be hurt without proper training on the hurdles.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 14
    Report    REPLY #359 

The club system and the schools can work in tandem and compliment each other if the egos of adults involved on both sides would get out of the way. What does it matter if an athlete trains with a club all year round and competes for their school during X and spring track seasons?

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #360 

Buddy said 3 weeks ago

So which club had the most kids at ofsaa?
    uttc, newmarket, ctac or west toronto :)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #361 

Quoting: Buddy
    "So which club had the most kids at ofsaa?
    uttc, newmarket, ctac or west toronto :)"

Don't know about the full numbers, but all 4 scorers in the winning senior boys team are UTTC.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #362 

"Don't know about the full numbers, but all 4 scorers in the winning senior boys team are UTTC."

and all 4 scorers in the second place team were from the Ottawa lions. Getting the extra club practices can be a major boost.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #363 

Keep posting. You keep highlighting how OFSAA is stacked against the regular highschool athlete who is not a club member. You suggest that a highschool student must be part of a club to be competitive at a highschool level, and at a highschool championship meet. The OFSAA mandate is education through Sport. How many of these athletes do you actually think attended the 16 practice rule required by OFSAA to ensure competing athletes are actually part of a highschool program. These comments clearly support why OFSAA was considering a club stream like swimming. Your club athletes have a championship. I see a slow death of highschool sports based on the comments in this forum.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #364 

"and all 4 scorers in the second place team were from the Ottawa lions. Getting the extra club practices can be a major boost."

Most successful xc program in high school history with more ofsaa gold medal teams then any other program., st. Michael's. Kids are all school trained. A couple of kids might run with UTC but during the school year they train with the school coaches non of which are club coaches.

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #365 

Buddy said 3 weeks ago

Is the coach from Northern also a coach with the UofT Junior development squad?

"Don't know about the full numbers, but all 4 scorers in the winning senior boys team are UTTC."

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #366 

Buddy said 3 weeks ago

Are St. Mikes athletes ALLOWED to train with track clubs during cross country and track seasons or is it a School rule that they are NOT allowed to train with an AO track team 12 months of the year?

"Most successful xc program in high school history with more ofsaa gold medal teams then any other program., st. Michael's. Kids are all school trained. A couple of kids might run with UTC but during the school year they train with the school coaches non of which are club coaches."

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #367 

"So which club had the most kids at ofsaa?
    uttc, newmarket, ctac or west toronto :)"

You are so Toronto centric!!
    How about Windsor Legion, London Western or Ottawa Lions

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #368 

FITZ said 3 weeks ago

"You disrespect the highschool programs that support these athletes. Without the highschool coaches, you would only be a club program and no-one would care.

Your comment supports why OFSAA was considering a "club" stream for highschool athletes, much like swimming."

We have clearly not met. I was a teacher coach with several ofsaa gold medal teams at different schools I had taught at over my 30 year teaching career. In that time I too wore a club hat for about 25 years. I am now in my 38th year of coaching and I am at peace with all the schools where our club athletes attend. Cooperation and communication is the only approach. If I do not keep the peace there will be no future support of athletes coming to our club from those schools. BTW we have seen an influx of numerous athletes(10+) from all over the county since ofsaa.

I believe we are getting it right in Waterloo Region

Quote comment
  • ethan-davenport User since:
    Jan 17th, 2017
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #369 

Ethan Davenport said 3 weeks ago

""

What hasn't Chapman done? Coach, Convenor, Official, Educator. He's at every school meet, every club meet...you get hit by that smile and handshake before the gun of your race and everything seems a little better, that's a fact.

So I think the Nothern squad coming together was made possible through relentless support, a great deal of patience and care from both school coach, Michael Chapman and their club coach, Galan Yousuf.

Lucky kids.

Quote comment
  • ethan-davenport User since:
    Jan 17th, 2017
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #370 

Ethan Davenport said 3 weeks ago

""

I can speak to this as well. For a number of years now we have set up club membership (UTTC) in a way that has excluded both school seasons (Sept+Oct) and (March+May) from the cost for these programs*. In these cases, it is the expectation that athletes train with their school for the duration of both seasons and may continue training and racing for club XC (Nov/Dec), club indoors (Jan-March) and club outdoors (June/July).

*not limited to SMC, but any schools that have made this an expectation for athletes. I will also add that these schools/or coaches have clearly set aside the time, thought and resources into building comprehensive, sustainable programs. I cannot speak to whether or not their school places a high value on their coaching role, but evidently they do.

Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #371 

NC Blogger said 3 weeks ago

"and all 4 scorers in the second place team were from the Ottawa lions. Getting the extra club practices can be a major boost."

True, but we've also won medals (at the Senior Level) with only one club athlete, and gold at other levels with no club trained athletes.

Duntroon 2015, Glebe SG went 10-11-16-40 (77 points). Our alternate was 69th. Only one athlete on that team (our 3rd) was a club trained athlete (in Athletics). The others, Nordic, Soccer and one who played so many sports, I couldn't keep track (that's you Grimey).

This is what I think makes OFSAA XC so unique. It doesn't happen nearly as much in track, with fewer qualifying positions, etc, but in XC the soccer kid can tow the line against a Justyn Knight, a Mo Ahmed or Gabriella Stafford and do ok. No threat to win individually, but they can certainly contribute to a team performance.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitbuddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #372 

Buddy said 3 weeks ago

how about it? what is the answer?

"You are so Toronto centric!!
    How about Windsor Legion, London Western or Ottawa Lions"

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1