Discussion Forum >>

Elementary School XC Super Meet
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 0
Report  ORIGINAL

anonymous said 2 months ago

RBC Training Ground

I keep hearing from other coaches that parents are taking kids to RBC training ground but nobody seems to be getting money for athletics?...after testing the athletes are being called to different sports, but not athletics ?....Are athletes picking different sports because there is better peer or financial support?

Quote comment
  • runningman User since:
    Feb 23rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #1 

Runningman said 2 months ago

Not sure what your point is. Do a search by sport and there are lots of athletes from "Athletics".

However the list is extremely out of date. Gary Reed, Dylan Armstrong, Chris Winter Jessica Smith, etc ?

All retired and list goes on and on and on

This post was edited by Runningman 2 months ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #2 

Anonymous said 2 months ago

one of our athletes was advised (at RBC TG Toronto) to switch from track to a "contact sport" like football or rugby

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #3 

I had an athlete from our club (so already a registered club athlete with an AC number) advance to the regional finals in BC. Even before the regional final took place some rugby coaches were trying to get the athlete to come and try out for a rugby club. Same with skeleton/luge coaches. The fact that the athlete already had a sport (athletics) they preferred, were registered in, really liked to do, and was being recruited heavily by universities, did not seem to matter. I suppose some coaches don't care about ethics amongst coaches, just poaching the best talent they can find. It was an eye opener.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #4 

Take a look at how many college football players who were drafted also were track and field athletes at some point in their career.

The number is staggering.

Wasn't Bo Jackson a top high jumper too?

I would say the advice given to your athlete was good advice.

Quote comment
  • runningman User since:
    Feb 23rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #5 

Runningman said 2 months ago

Quoting: anonymous
    "I keep hearing from other coaches that parents are taking kids to RBC training ground but nobody seems to be getting money for athletics?...after testing the athletes are being called to different sports, but not athletics ?....Are athletes picking different sports because there is better peer or financial support?"

I obviously can not comment on what was said to a particular athlete. However the goal of these types of evaluations is to identify athletes for further development based on test scores.

Many countries (the Eastern Bloc were famous for it) do this with younger athletes then based on the physical skills direct slot them into sports that are best suited for their physical attributes.

I think the RBC Training Ground program has merit my suggestion is that they are limiting it to athletes a little too late in the development process. It's done intentionally to encourage LTAD rather than early specialization.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #6 

anonymous said 2 months ago

Quoting: Runningman
    "Not sure what your point is. Do a search by sport and there are lots of athletes from "Athletics".

However the list is extremely out of date. Gary Reed, Dylan Armstrong, Chris Winter Jessica Smith, etc ?

All retired and list goes on and on and on"

I guess if you cant find a current list then I have made my point.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1