Anonymous said 2 weeks ago

School commitments 2018

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #76 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Although I definitely agree with some of the points you make, the key thing to consider must be the "decent education" that you mention. When in this situation in a few years, I will advise my child to seek the best, not a decent, education they can choose. For our family (and there will be offers) the choice between "the coverage" you speak of and the highest quality education found in Canadian universities is an easy decision. Never sacrifice your education and future for some recognition from Flotrack and Milesplit. One lasts forever the other is temporary at best. Just something for all parents and students to consider."

My family just went through the process with our daughter, and she is choosing to stay in Canada for a better education and (in my opinion) a better way of life. The truth is, she could have gone down to a D1 school and possibly done well, but just as likely would have been lost in the shuffle like so many Canadian kids tend to be. Did she want to struggle for a top ten in some conference she's never heard of, or maybe win a medal at a National championship in her home country one day? Kind of an easy choice.

In Canada, she will be a star on the team and be closer to home, closer to the people who care about her, etc. It was a tough choice...the scholarships are tempting, but we know the coach really well up here and we are sure she will be looked after, and that if something happens to her like an injury, she will still get a top-notch education that she can use for the rest of her life.

People get caught up, I think, in the competition of signing with the best named university, and forget that almost none of these kids does much with track and field after their college career is finished anyway. I always believed if a person has "it", they will be like Melissa Bishop and find a way to the top no matter where they go to university.

We'll see. Maybe in five years she will have regrets. I doubt it.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #77 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

"My family just went through the process with our daughter, and she is choosing to stay in Canada for a better education and (in my opinion) a better way of life. The truth is, she could have gone down to a D1 school and possibly done well, but just as likely would have been lost in the shuffle like so many Canadian kids tend to be. Did she want to struggle for a top ten in some conference she's never heard of, or maybe win a medal at a National championship in her home country one day? Kind of an easy choice.

In Canada, she will be a star on the team and be closer to home, closer to the people who care about her, etc. It was a tough choice...the scholarships are tempting, but we know the coach really well up here and we are sure she will be looked after, and that if something happens to her like an injury, she will still get a top-notch education that she can use for the rest of her life.

People get caught up, I think, in the competition of signing with the best named university, and forget that almost none of these kids does much with track and field after their college career is finished anyway. I always believed if a person has "it", they will be like Melissa Bishop and find a way to the top no matter where they go to university.

We'll see. Maybe in five years she will have regrets. I doubt it."

Awesome for your daughter, I'm glad she's happy. Although, your post is biased in so many ways. Maybe some girls appreciate not being the best on the team, I'm sure it's a lot less pressure. And maybe it's not only about winning medals, but the experience of running in the highly competitive ncaa. And in terms of education, most of these girls listed above are attending schools that are easily superior to Canadian schools. Yale, Princeton..That sounds like "top-notch" education to me. And McDonald at Georgetown...That's a pretty good school too, last time I checked. Plus I'm sure these girls will make new friends/connections that they'll have their entire lives.

People keep pinning the ncaa as bad. The girls will be "looked after" there too, They'll get great educations quite comparable to Canadian ones, and they'll get the experience of running in the ncaa, which is pretty darn cool.

Quote comment
  • bestcoach User since:
    Oct 20th, 2014
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #78 

BestCoach said 1 week ago

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/the_kids/2013/09/academic_redshirting_what_does_the_research_say_about_delaying_kindergarten.html

"What does red-shirt mean? The athletes choose to 'redshirt ' themselves ?"

Quote comment
  • master2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #79 

Master2B said 1 week ago

People get caught up, I think, in the competition of signing with the best named university, and forget that almost none of these kids does much with track and field after their college career is finished anyway. "

You had me until this part. Almost none? I guess you've never heard of these people: Kevin Sullivan, Nicole Sifuentes, Hilary Stellingwerff, Sheila Reid, Malindi Elmore, Andre de Grasse, Perdita Felicien, Charmaine Crooks, Graham Hood, Kathy Butler, Derek Drouin, Shawn Barber, Mo Ahmed, Brianne Thiesen-Eaton, Nathan Brannen, Rosey Edeh, Aaron Brown, Phylicia George, Matt Hughes, Brandon McBride, Alysha Newman, Sage Watson...

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #80 

Anonymous said 6 days ago

Marco Arop, Mississippi State

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #81 

^^^^ ooohhh thats a big one, source?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #82 

"^^^^ ooohhh thats a big one, source?"

His instagram page

Quote comment
  • juddy96 User since:
    May 27th, 2017
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #83 

juddy96 said 6 days ago

Arop will be running for Miss State this year unlike the other ones, his commitment was just never picked up on before now. http://www.dyestat.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=44531&do=news&news_id=495596

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #84 

BAMA said 6 days ago

Natassha MacDonald to Alabama!!!!!!!!

Quote comment
  • juddy96 User since:
    May 27th, 2017
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #85 

juddy96 said 6 days ago

Madison Heisterman (Distance) - Washington

Another school with a recent history of Canadian signings picks up the 6th place finisher from the BC HS XC champs.

Quote comment
  • juddy96 User since:
    May 27th, 2017
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #86 

juddy96 said 5 days ago

Chloe McEachern (Distance) - Western Michigan

Rare NCAA signing from Saskatchewan. Usually only 2-3 a year if that.

This post was edited by juddy96 5 days ago . 
    Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 14
    Report    REPLY #87 

NC Blogger said 5 days ago

Mei Mei Weston will be attending Harvard.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #88 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

I'm gonna ask what everyone in here is thinking. Where is Adam Tait going?!?!?!?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #89 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

Quoting: NC Blogger
    "Mei Mei Weston will be attending Harvard."

NICE! I just hope she can get a decent education from there lol

Quote comment
  • juddy96 User since:
    May 27th, 2017
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #90 

juddy96 said 4 days ago

Aurora Rynda - Michigan

Michigan has got a tremendous signing class! #1 U18 Canadian in 800m this year.

Edit: Shanice Williams (Sprints, Western Texas College) - Toledo

Edit 2: Shyrelle Yates (Jumps) - Avila (NAIA)

Joining Avila this season.

This post was edited by juddy96 4 days ago . 
    Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitjuddy96 User since:
    May 27th, 2017
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #91 

juddy96 said 4 days ago

Quoting: NC Blogger
    "Mei Mei Weston will be attending Harvard."

Great! Still the #1 prospect from your region has yet to commit (Sharelle Samuel)

Maryland hasn't made any moves yet this recruiting season, and over the last few years it's been almost mandatory to have a Canadian on their team... I expect them to make a play for her or one of the remaining UTTC girls (Chau/Walker)

This post was edited by juddy96 4 days ago . 
    Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1