• Contact

LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:
    *For quicker support use email when possible.

Discussion Forum >>

International-conference-of-athletics-excellence
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Mar 17th, 2014
thumbs_up 3
Report  ORIGINAL

Lobster said 1 week ago

Shawn Barber reappears !

At the Akron pole vault summit, or whatever it is called, on Sat. Jan. 10, Shawn Barber will be present. He may be acting as a coach / motivator, athlete, or in all three capacities. He is an alumnus of Akron. This is interesting, as we do not have that many past World and or Olympic champions.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #1 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

He jumped down at the Texas PV Expo just after New Years, cleared 5.30m

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #2 

Lobster said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "He jumped down at the Texas PV Expo just after New Years, cleared 5.30m"

Sounds like he is serious.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #3 

Quoting: Lobster
    "Sounds like he is serious."

I'd hope so, since he's taking AC carding money.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #4 

"I'd hope so, since he's taking AC carding money."

He's a world champion, he can have one for life. Much better investment than the 50th person that would have got it if he ever gets back near what he was

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #5 

Lobster said 1 week ago

"I'd hope so, since he's taking AC carding money."

The people taking carding money form a very long list. At least he has won or medaled in Worlds, Commonwealth, Pan Ams, Diamond League, etc. Many who are on the AC dole never score. I think we received very good value for our investment with Shawn. I just wish that he would spell his first name correctly !

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 14
    Report    REPLY #6 

confused said 1 week ago

How on earth did he get nominated for a 2020 carding slot and Tim Nedow did not? That makes absolutely no sense.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #7 

Quoting: confused
    "How on earth did he get nominated for a 2020 carding slot and Tim Nedow did not? That makes absolutely no sense."

Who's more likely to produce an Olympic medal?

Lets not forget, Barber has gone over 6 before

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #8 

Lobster said 1 week ago

"How on earth did he get nominated for a 2020 carding slot and Tim Nedow did not? That makes absolutely no sense."

Obviously there is a back story about which we are unaware, as we are not among the chosen ones. So, what happens if Shawn has an amazing season ? Then the AC people who gave him his funding look like geniuses. Otherwise, meh !
    And yes, Tim Nedow did desevefunding.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #9 

Anonymous said 6 days ago

wait tim wasn't carded wow that's shocking

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #10 

Lobster said 6 days ago

Just to add a little to the reappearance of Shawn Barber / lack of a 2020 carding slot for Tim Nedow stories, Shawn vaulted 5.45m yesterday in Akron.

Quote comment
  • ole-musky User since:
    Apr 3rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #11 

Ole Musky said 4 days ago

"Just to add a little to the reappearance of Shawn Barber / lack of a 2020 carding slot for Tim Nedow stories, Shawn vaulted 5.45m yesterday in Akron."

How much coke was in his system? Not that it matters since he is still allowed to compete with it... Just curious

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #12 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

"wait tim wasn't carded wow that's shocking"

I haven’t figured out how the #9 ranked shotputter in the world doesn’t get carded but so many on that list did. It’s ridiculous. Certainly reinforces the appearance that throwers are not valued by AC.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #13 

Lobster said 4 days ago

Quoting: Ole Musky
    "How much coke was in his system? Not that it matters since he is still allowed to compete with it... Just curious"

Kind of a cheap shot ? Lucky for us that you are a shinning example of physical and moral perfection. Maybe someday, Shawn will measure up to your high standard. Meanwhile, he is stuck with a World Championships gold medal, and a whole lot of other notable achievements.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #14 

"I haven’t figured out how the #9 ranked shotputter in the world doesn’t get carded but so many on that list did. It’s ridiculous. Certainly reinforces the appearance that throwers are not valued by AC."

9th isn’t 8th...and he’s barely improved in 6+ years. Take a gander at the criteria, and maybe also the list of athletes selected...including a bunch of throwers.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #15 

"Kind of a cheap shot ? Lucky for us that you are a shinning example of physical and moral perfection. Maybe someday, Shawn will measure up to your high standard. Meanwhile, he is stuck with a World Championships gold medal, and a whole lot of other notable achievements."

Including being a role model for gay male athletes who hires female prostitutes so he can lick their lips to get his drug fix.

Please let's not confuse athletic abilities with morals in any way shape or form.

I think we've discussed in another thread that coaches are not responsible to make their athletes, "good" people. Being a good athlete doesn't mean you are a good person either. It's nice when they are positive role models, but many times they are not.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #16 

Lobster said 4 days ago

We seem to be very focused on role modelling with Shawn. His father is a registered sex offender, so was that positive role modelling ? At the same time, thanks to his father, Shawn had the opportunity to become a World class vaulter. How much of the story of the cocaine using prostitute was legal advice that he may have received ? He was extremely fortunate to have gotten off so lightly.
    Coming out as gay is a tough decision to come to, I am sure.
    So, for me, considering everything that Shawn has dealt with, I will give him another chance. He is in his mid twenties, and has lots of time left. We do not always start out as perfectly formed, and some of us have bigger challenges than others.

Quote comment
  • ole-musky User since:
    Apr 3rd, 2018
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #17 

Ole Musky said 3 days ago

"Kind of a cheap shot ? Lucky for us that you are a shinning example of physical and moral perfection. Maybe someday, Shawn will measure up to your high standard. Meanwhile, he is stuck with a World Championships gold medal, and a whole lot of other notable achievements."

How so? He made the choice? and then in response to your most recent post, thats not how sports work.. you are allowing him to claim his successes as a world champion and giving him props for coming out as gay, but not putting any weight on the fact that he tested positive for a banned substance. There are people a lot younger than him that make the decision not to do cocaine...

In reality though, my beef is more with AC for turning a blind eye to it because he was a medal threat.

Shawn broke the rules, but then they just decided that his excuse was somehow legitimate enough, even though it clearly isnt. What ever happened to being responsible for what you put in to your own body?

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #18 

Lobster said 3 days ago

Quoting: Ole Musky
    "How so? He made the choice? and then in response to your most recent post, thats not how sports work.. you are allowing him to claim his successes as a world champion and giving him props for coming out as gay, but not putting any weight on the fact that he tested positive for a banned substance. There are people a lot younger than him that make the decision not to do cocaine...

In reality though, my beef is more with AC for turning a blind eye to it because he was a medal threat.

Shawn broke the rules, but then they just decided that his excuse was somehow legitimate enough, even though it clearly isnt. What ever happened to being responsible for what you put in to your own body?"

I give up. Haters have to hate. Whatever. It was a judgement call by AC. You don’t agree. They did not hang him out to dry, but gave him another chance. What makes me happy, brings out your anger. So be it. I am done with it.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #19 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

"I haven’t figured out how the #9 ranked shotputter in the world doesn’t get carded but so many on that list did. It’s ridiculous. Certainly reinforces the appearance that throwers are not valued by AC."

At least we're funding 8 steeple chasers...

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #20 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

"It was a judgement call by AC. "

kinda like all the judgement calls usatf has used for gatlin, coleman, gay and host of other dirty us sprinters, whether it be tainted beef, miscommunication, etc.

when athletes get caught, they should be held accountable. not excused because they are good.

Quote comment
  • runfan User since:
    Jan 4th, 2015
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #21 

runfan said 1 day ago

Good luck to Shawn and Tim this Olympic season.

Quote comment
  • lobster User since:
    Mar 17th, 2014
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #22 

Lobster said 1 day ago

Quoting: runfan
    "Good luck to Shawn and Tim this Olympic season."

Well said.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #23 

Anonymous said 1 day ago

"We seem to be very focused on role modelling with Shawn. His father is a registered sex offender, so was that positive role modelling ? At the same time, thanks to his father, Shawn had the opportunity to become a World class vaulter. How much of the story of the cocaine using prostitute was legal advice that he may have received ? He was extremely fortunate to have gotten off so lightly.
    Coming out as gay is a tough decision to come to, I am sure.
    So, for me, considering everything that Shawn has dealt with, I will give him another chance. He is in his mid twenties, and has lots of time left. We do not always start out as perfectly formed, and some of us have bigger challenges than others."

As long as you accept that drug cheats should be given a 2nd chance then yes he deserves another chance. This belief must apply to non Canadian athletes too, if it does't then you are a hypocrite.

I believe most people do not feel that he deserves to be carded by AC. AC's ability to make good judgement calls as been proven very suspect in many areas recently.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1