Discussion Forum >>

NACAC Coaching
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 1
Report  ORIGINAL

Andrew Jones said 3 weeks ago

Soccer and Running

In honour of the global frenzy known as the FIFA World Cup, any thoughts from you track fans on how soccer relates to Athletics?

We know that many good runners have a soccer background, and that some running elites were noticed on the pitch first (see Galen Rupp), but how strong is the tie here?

BTW, London's Jessie Fleming was mentioned in another thread...she won the 15 and 3 at OFSAA pretty convincingly some years ago and since then has become an Olympic medallist in soccer.

Quote comment
  • ahurdleriguess User since:
    Jun 7th, 2018
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #1 

AHurdlerIGuess said 3 weeks ago

Myles Misener-Daley was on the Canadian U15 soccer team as a right back some years ago, a lot of good football or soccer players have athletics backgrounds, because it's more or less the basis of every sport.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #2 

Andrew Jones said 3 weeks ago

Quoting: AHurdlerIGuess
    "Myles Misener-Daley was on the Canadian U15 soccer team as a right back some years ago, a lot of good football or soccer players have athletics backgrounds, because it's more or less the basis of every sport."

MMD's OFSAA triple was truly impressive -- especially the sub-46 400m. One may reason that his amazing quarter was supported by this soccer foundation.

I wonder if someone like Rupp built an East African-like "aerobic house" from serious competitive soccer and the hit the track and XC...well, running. Should more track clubs and university coaches visit the local soccer field to find their next blue-chip prospect?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #3 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

Quoting: Andrew Jones
    "MMD's OFSAA triple was truly impressive -- especially the sub-46 400m. One may reason that his amazing quarter was supported by this soccer foundation.

I wonder if someone like Rupp built an East African-like "aerobic house" from serious competitive soccer and the hit the track and XC...well, running. Should more track clubs and university coaches visit the local soccer field to find their next blue-chip prospect?"

The national soccer guide on Long term development refers to two windows of opportunity for youth development. I believe it was 7-9 and 11-14....I'm not sure about the years but as a previous soccer player and track runner I always found it amazing how a soccer player can step on a track and have the same or better endurance. Kids like soccer and parents think all of their kids will get a million dollar contract. By the time parent and child figures out that isnt going to happen, its usually to late for the child to switch sports.
    Universities prefer multi sport kids...and soccer coaches and parents don't like it because it's more practices and more driving. Soccer parents don't realise track and field have scholarships too....

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #4 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

I think that France's Kylian Mbappé could give many track athletes a run for the money. Wondering if he has a track background and history.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #5 

Andrew Jones said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "The national soccer guide on Long term development refers to two windows of opportunity for youth development. I believe it was 7-9 and 11-14....I'm not sure about the years but as a previous soccer player and track runner I always found it amazing how a soccer player can step on a track and have the same or better endurance. Kids like soccer and parents think all of their kids will get a million dollar contract. By the time parent and child figures out that isnt going to happen, its usually to late for the child to switch sports.
    Universities prefer multi sport kids...and soccer coaches and parents don't like it because it's more practices and more driving. Soccer parents don't realise track and field have scholarships too...."

Good point, and given the comprehensive physical "asks" that soccer presents, the high-achieving soccer player that falls short of that National Team dream is spoilt for another sport choice, and could perhaps find another path to international-level sport.

It would follow that the young soccer player that is outrunning their peers after 60-70 minutes of play has great potential as a Mid-D or D runner.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #6 

"I think that France's Kylian Mbappé could give many track athletes a run for the money. Wondering if he has a track background and history."

I always wondered what the great runners in soccer -- players like Thierry Henry, Michael Owen, Ryan Giggs -- could do on the track. And what events would they gravitate to?

Those of old enough will remember "The Brian Budd Rule" when network TV ran The Superstars competition, but that was an all-round competition. I wonder how Budd would've done as, say, a 1500m runner.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #7 

Ron MacLean's dog said 1 week ago

"Good point, and given the comprehensive physical "asks" that soccer presents, the high-achieving soccer player that falls short of that National Team dream is spoilt for another sport choice, and could perhaps find another path to international-level sport.

It would follow that the young soccer player that is outrunning their peers after 60-70 minutes of play has great potential as a Mid-D or D runner."

Or a sprinter like Adam Gemili who played soccer at a fairly high level in England until he was 18.

In any event, I wish that parents would quit thinking of sports as a path to wealth or even a university education for their kids - it may happen but the odds are very much stacked against it. By all means, kids should participate in as many physical activities as possible, and this certainly doesn't inhibit one's ability to progress to the elite level (if that's on the cards). But I've seen too many kids burn out at 13 or 14 and quit sport altogether due to the pressure their parents are putting on them.

Quote comment
  • ahurdleriguess User since:
    Jun 7th, 2018
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #8 

AHurdlerIGuess said 1 week ago

"I think that France's Kylian Mbappé could give many track athletes a run for the money. Wondering if he has a track background and history."

Now Mbappe is fast, but there's many soccer players faster than him. Marvell Wynne of the USA ran 10.38 as a high schooler. I reckon Mbappe can run about 10.9,22.3,49,1:54, perhaps better with more training. In general pro soccer players tend to be better 400-1500 runners, but its not like you can just take a guy like Cristiano off the pitch and expect him to go 47 something in a 400m. mbappe apparently had a top speed of about 44.5km/h, which is really fast though. I'm not sure how much track background he may have, considering it's not very popular in france (after soccer, I think the biggest sport is tennis in france.) A lot of very fast europeans don't end up properly pursuing track and field, like alex kiwomya, who was running 10.9 at 14, people like Adam Gemili are rare. I think the relationship between soccer and track is pretty similar to the relationship between baseball and track, it's not necessarily directly related, while almost every american football player can do well at some sort of track and field event

Quote comment
  • neal-currie User since:
    Dec 14th, 2012
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

neal.currie said 1 week ago

Quoting: AHurdlerIGuess
    "mbappe apparently had a top speed of about 44.5km/h, which is really fast though."

They made mistake(s) if that's the figure they arrived at; only Usain Bolt has ever been recorded to have run this fast, and only once with reliable measurement: Bolt's fastest recorded 20m section of his 9.58 world record is 44.7 km/h.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

Quoting: neal.currie
    "They made mistake(s) if that's the figure they arrived at; only Usain Bolt has ever been recorded to have run this fast, and only once with reliable measurement: Bolt's fastest recorded 20m section of his 9.58 world record is 44.7 km/h."

Yes, I've always thought those TV-shown speed numbers were a bit hyperbolic!

Quote comment
  • neal-currie User since:
    Dec 14th, 2012
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #11 

neal.currie said 1 week ago

"Yes, I've always thought those TV-shown speed numbers were a bit hyperbolic!"

TV is in the entertainment industry, not the accuracy industry. :)

http://www.meathathletics.ie/devathletes/pdf/Biomechanics%20of%20Sprints.pdf has some good data.

In case it's helpful...
    To convert m/s to km/h: multiply by 3.6.
    To convert a time for 10m segment to km/h: divide 36 by the 10m segment time. Ex: 36/0.81 = 44.4 km/h.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #12 

Bryan said 1 week ago

Julia Labach played for U of S Women's soccer and got recruited to Track. In her words, the aerobic expectations as a middle distance runner were much higher. She recently got 4th at Nationals in 2:02.09 - a new Sask record.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1