Tokyo 2020 Women's marathon team

Show Original Post
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #26 

SteveWeiler said 1 week ago

Quoting: Myth
    "The problem is, the qualification system has been overhauled. Specifically (from the IAAF website),

Athletes can qualify in one of two ways:

• By virtue of their IAAF world ranking position at the end of the qualification period.
    • Achieving the entry standard within the qualification period.

Entry standards will be approved and published later this year, but will be set for the sole purpose of qualifying athletes with exceptional performances unable to qualify through the IAAF world rankings pathway.

So depending on what they select for the ranking system (i.e., how deep they go) - Canadian athletes could be left on the outside looking in. For example, on the women's side, Rachel Cliff is ranked 118th in the World. If you drop that down to 3 athletes per country, she probably moves to ~30-40th.

The marathon obviously has the capacity to have more athletes on the start line than other events, but if IAAF (hypothetical here, no idea if this will be the case) decides to take top 50 plus the "exceptional performances", I suspect you're going to need a sub 2:30 to make the team.

I wonder if AC said they would take the IAAF "standard" knowing that realistically, there isn't one. (The statement that the top Canadian at STWM will go sounds a lot like the rhetoric from NACAC as a qualifier for World's, and we all know how that went)."

There is no problem here: following selection criteria that placed additional barriers in front of Canadian marathon (and RW?) athletes, Guy stated that AC would not impose additional barriers for 2020. Changes to the IAAF qualification system don't make it any harder to honour what Josh wrote (send 3, Canadian Champ auto) because that was all contingent on having satisfied IAAF criteria.

I don't think Guy made these comments in bad faith and I don't see a valid comparison between 'Canadian Champ at STWM who satisfies IAAF criteria' and the NACAC qualifier.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #27 

Anonymous said 6 days ago

Quoting: SteveWeiler
    "There is no problem here: following selection criteria that placed additional barriers in front of Canadian marathon (and RW?) athletes, Guy stated that AC would not impose additional barriers for 2020. Changes to the IAAF qualification system don't make it any harder to honour what Josh wrote (send 3, Canadian Champ auto) because that was all contingent on having satisfied IAAF criteria.

I don't think Guy made these comments in bad faith and I don't see a valid comparison between 'Canadian Champ at STWM who satisfies IAAF criteria' and the NACAC qualifier."

You mentioned in an earlier comment that the meeting was held post Rio and the firing of Eriksen. Was this before the overhaul of the qualifying system was announced (and before the hiring of Simon Nathan)? Perhaps thats what the previous poster was eluding to? i.e. it's all fine and good to say if you hit IAAF standard you'll go, but no one has any idea what that means yet given the new system.

Quote comment
  • meizner User since:
    Oct 8th, 2013
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #28 

Meizner said 6 days ago

"There is no problem here: following selection criteria that placed additional barriers in front of Canadian marathon (and RW?) athletes, Guy stated that AC would not impose additional barriers for 2020. Changes to the IAAF qualification system don't make it any harder to honour what Josh wrote (send 3, Canadian Champ auto) because that was all contingent on having satisfied IAAF criteria.

I don't think Guy made these comments in bad faith and I don't see a valid comparison between 'Canadian Champ at STWM who satisfies IAAF criteria' and the NACAC qualifier."

Given the relative complexity of the new system, and multiple 'outs' for AC here my initial estimate of 50% has been revised downwards.

This post was edited by Meizner 6 days ago . 
    Quote comment
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #29 

SteveWeiler said 4 days ago

"I don't think Guy made these comments in bad faith "

Athletics Canada has announced they are looking for a CEO.

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 12
    Report    REPLY #30 

Buddy said 4 days ago

I nominated Mr. Boyd
    All those in favor say aye

"Athletics Canada has announced they are looking for a CEO."

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #31 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

aye

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #32 

KMaser said 3 days ago

Rachel Cliff should be on that team. Tessier as well,. The rest is wide open. Boyd would be a good CEO for AC.

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1