Quoting: Coaching Troll
    "Coaches Poll rankings are out! Discuss"

Week 1 Poll Results : https://www.trackie.com/USports/XC/Rankings/

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #104 

MacMaster = 4th said 4 days ago

A monkey with uncontrollable diarrhea randomly defecating on photos of team logos could do a better job picking rankings than what we've got right now.

I'm exaggerating obviously, but let's be real. The coaches poll is a terrible ranking system. There are always obvious teams who get over and under ranked even very late into the season. Poll contributors should be required to be knowledgeable of the current collegiate scene! Clearly some are not! And the results will show it as they have in the past.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #105 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

I have to say the coaches polls are typically a little off but I seriously feel as if a random generator could have done a better job placing teams where they belong in the rankings, especially on the mens side.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #106 

Do coach's even read results! An team in the aus can't even win the pei jog race and get ranked in the top 10?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #107 

Did Lakehead have an unreal recruiting class this year? They came 11th at OUAs last year and were beaten by the powerhouse that is Brock.

Quote comment
  • johnstuarthobbes User since:
    Sep 9th, 2017
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #108 

JohnStuartHobbes said 4 days ago

As per a suggestion above, here is a random number generated prediction of the men's ranking come November. I think this rivals the current ranking. Thoughts?

1. Regina
    2. Laval
    3. Guelph
    4. McMaster
    5. StFX
    6. Queen's
    7. Western
    8. UofT
    9. Calgary
    10. Victoria
    11. Windsor
    12. Trinity
    13. Lakehead
    14. UBC
    15. Dalhousie

This post was edited by JohnStuartHobbes 4 days ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #109 

Paula Radiator said 4 days ago

No way Mac girls finish last.

No way Jose

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 27
    Report    REPLY #110 

Quoting: JohnStuartHobbes
    "As per a suggestion above, here is a random number generated prediction of the men's ranking come November. I think this rivals the current ranking. Thoughts?

1. Regina
    2. Laval
    3. Guelph
    4. McMaster
    5. StFX
    6. Queen's
    7. Western
    8. UofT
    9. Calgary
    10. Victoria
    11. Windsor
    12. Trinity
    13. Lakehead
    14. UBC
    15. Dalhousie"

Random number generated rankings and Mac still gets 4th!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #111 

West is Best said 4 days ago

UBC is getting no love here ....

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #112 

Quoting: JohnStuartHobbes
    "As per a suggestion above, here is a random number generated prediction of the men's ranking come November. I think this rivals the current ranking. Thoughts?

1. Regina
    2. Laval
    3. Guelph
    4. McMaster
    5. StFX
    6. Queen's
    7. Western
    8. UofT
    9. Calgary
    10. Victoria
    11. Windsor
    12. Trinity
    13. Lakehead
    14. UBC
    15. Dalhousie"

Looks like the boys from The Gine are in for one then :P but actually what’s up with the coach’s poll? Sounds like every coach hyped up their own team.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #113 

Oldster said 3 days ago

Guys, this is supposed to be a discussion. If you think the coaches got it wrong, feel free to say exactly how-- i.e, which teams are over/under ranked and precisely why. In other words, show, don't tell!

Quote comment
  • johnstuarthobbes User since:
    Sep 9th, 2017
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #114 

JohnStuartHobbes said 3 days ago

Quoting: Oldster
    "Guys, this is supposed to be a discussion. If you think the coaches got it wrong, feel free to say exactly how-- i.e, which teams are over/under ranked and precisely why. In other words, show, don't tell!"

For one thing, McMaster isn't ranked fourth in the coachs' poll. That's clearly an oversight.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #115 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

If I was to do a ranking of the teams just off of what I know on the men's side:

1) Guelph - They are the returning champs, they have the top returner. They also have a decent amount of depth so even on an off day there is a good chance that they are able to hold their spot on top.

2) UBC - This is the team that I think the coaches poll got the most wrong. They have a lot of depth and unless I am missing something they have a guy who is back for his 5th year that very well could win the whole thing. Their inexperience in 10k cross country races (I believe NAIA is only 8k at the champs), and they are young team outside of Gay will mean they can't knock off Guelph in their return to USports. They will win one in the near future though.

3) Calgary - They are returning everyone from the team that won the silver medal last year, but they also add some depth to their team through some good recruits. They have the possibility of beating both the teams above them because they are an experienced team, and are not dependant on just 5 runners. Although they could be higher I would bet on them finishing here.

4) McMaster - Obviously this is the only place that they are capable of coming. Besides that though one of their top runners from last year is redshirting this year and they lose Tweedle. Although they have Sergio who was tearing it up all summer he can only take a couple points off his score from last year. Max Turek is a key for them and having people that have not played a huge roll in the past stepping up and running well on the day.

5) Laval - They have a solid low stick in JSD, but losing Yves is a lot to overcome. They also don't have their number 2 Dany Racine returning which means that it will be tough for them to compete with the teams above them because they only have one low stick, whereas the other teams have two or more. They are a team known for their depth and there is a good chance that they could finish above this, but probability wise 5th is the spot for them.

6) Western - Jack will be back, and Carson looks fit. The rest will either fall into or out of place to move them up or down the list.

7) Queens - Oldster knows how to get the guys to show up on the day and even though they don't have the most talent in the field coaching can take you a long way. I could see them sliding up in the top 5, but they have a lot of unknown factors.

8) Victoria - They always have a solid squad and likely will finish in the back half of the top 10.

9) StFX - They have a strong 1-2 punch. It will be interesting to see if Rawlings is able to get his mojo back and run like he did in indoor. If not they will likely slide out of the top 10.

10) Regina - I will buy the hype and say they can be solid. Losing their top dog from the last couple of years will certainly not help though so I can't see them moving up from where they were last year. Likely a slide but top 10 would be great.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #116 

No Vaseline said 3 days ago

Men's:
    1. Guelph: Strong top end led by Black, and depth, so why not repeat.
    2. Western: Carson, Sheffar and Frielink are a heavy 3-punch, enough depth to take them to 2nd.
    3. Calgary: Calgary has a similar 3-punch with Pennock, Daniel and James, so I could see Western and Calgary be very close score wise
    4. Mac: Where else? Sergiooo and gang have it locked.
    5. UBC: They sound like they have a squad that could medal, but until we actually see them compete and their roster, no point in putting them in the top 3.
    6. Laval: Queen D et Les Boys just don't have it in them this year to compete for the top 3. Unless they have some French magician up their sleeve, which I wouldn't discount them on.
    7. Queens: A bit older and more experience, and something about Oldster putting something in their water the day of the big dance.

Women's:
    1. Queens: MacD squared. Ditto.
    2. Guelph: "Last year they took the L, but this year they bounce back" - Big Sean
    3. Laval: Les Filles are good and repeat with bronze.
    4. UofT: Without Gollish and Kelly, they're good, but lose the sting they had to win like last year.
    5. Dal: Last years ROY Jordan and some returning vets should push them up the board to make them competitive.
    6. Vic: They have a close spread which should fare them well to a 6th place finish.
    7. McGill: Dargis and the girls should be able to have another decent season for the Martlets this year.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #117 

Tarc Fanboy said 3 days ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Looks like the boys from The Gine are in for one then :P but actually what’s up with the coach’s poll? Sounds like every coach hyped up their own team."

Common knowledge: Tarc has never come out of one. Tarc has been eating 100 miles/week in one. Tarc "the Saskatchewan Pirate" has been leading is fellow sea men in to battle throughout those infamous regina summer nights.

Tarc literally has built a house and started a family "in one".

Tarc "In One" Murmel for mayor.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #118 

I agree with these rankings generally but some modifications.

lets Remember that UBC has John Gay and Kieran Lumb and thats it. Maybe Tyler Dozzi too but he was very inconsistent last cross season. Wynands is injured. UBC does not have the depth to beat Calgary, Western or Laval.

Calgary could take the top spot, I believe their top end is better then guelphs and their depth is good enough to hold off the defending champs.

Western is under ranked, as is U-Vic.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #119 

"I agree with these rankings generally but some modifications.

lets Remember that UBC has John Gay and Kieran Lumb and thats it. Maybe Tyler Dozzi too but he was very inconsistent last cross season. Wynands is injured. UBC does not have the depth to beat Calgary, Western or Laval.

Calgary could take the top spot, I believe their top end is better then guelphs and their depth is good enough to hold off the defending champs.

Western is under ranked, as is U-Vic."

Dozzi always performs at the big end of season XC races. Some runners just build to a late peak rather than hitting the early races hard. I don't know about Wynands but it is pretty early to be writing someone off due to injury. And UBC also has a bunch of other mid-distance guys with good XC chops, especially Trummer. And isn't Hooten still running?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #120 

Outsider said 3 days ago

"I agree with these rankings generally but some modifications.

Western is under ranked, as is U-Vic."

I would not consider either Western or Laval to be "deep" teams. Carson, Sheffar, and Frielink is not depth. Desgagnes, Thibeault, and Sherbrooke transfer Lapointe-Pilote is not depth. Western has never been deep. Laval is no longer the team they were. The loss of Yves, Racine and Morin is just the latest graduation attrition.

Also note that Dozzi ran 14:13 this year. I'd expect him to be possibly a tad better than last year.

Quote comment
  • merc User since:
    Oct 27th, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #121 

Merc said 2 days ago

Week 1.
    1. Guelph - Not much to be said. Until we see some races and they disappoint there is no reason this team shouldn't be on top again. Return of the dynasty.
    2. Western - I think the 2-5 teams will be very tight, so tight that I re-wrote my second place team 6 times. But with Carson and the return of Nighthawk(?) they have a great 1-2 punch. Frielink looked great at the end of last year until his mistake at 8km, and he did not look the same until late outdoors. So hopefully for them he is back. I don't know the depth of their 4-5 but based on what I know of everyone else I think their top 3 takes them to second.
    3. Mac - Someone finally tells Mac that the CIS (yes, it is still CIS) doesn't have a 4 team podium like the NCAA and the curse is lifted. I love me some Sergio. And Turek was a first year stud who hopefully figures out how to transfer that OUA performance to CIS. Again, I'm no expert on depth but they had some people show up at CIS last year, and I expect a repeat this year.
    4. Calgary - This team causes me trouble. Will James show up? Will he DNF? Will he get 5th again?! I honestly think he will be a no show this year. But on the backs on Pennock, Daniel, and sneaky stud Grieco, they will still be a great team. The performance of Lutz and rookie Thiessen will determine if they get on the podium.
    P.S. If James returns with top 5 fitness, I think they're the only team with a shot at Guelph.
    5. UBC - A little thunderbirdie told me Gay does not have eligibility this year. And if the rumors are true about Wynands then they are relying on very fit but young Lumb and Dozzi to carry them, and I am not sure that's enough. But as I said earlier, I don't know most teams depth very well, and the 2-5 spread is going to be tight. So any lackluster performances from the above teams, or a great day from UBC will get them on the podium.
    6. Laval - They have truly fallen after a few great years. JS will be a title contender with CB. But the team has lost a lot of their top end older guys. Maybe they have some secret college transfers we don't know about.
    7. St.FX - Angus is on the Gillis marathon plan now and the dude knows how to show up when it matters (See USports 3000m last 200, managing to drop 50s 400 dude Radowits). Neuf looks fit too. And a solid 1-2 like that can easily put you in a solid top 10 spot.
    8. Queens - No Wynands, no Wilkie. But I love me some Boyd coaching and some Oldster message board posting so here they are.
    9. Victoria - I know they have a podcast but who is on this team? Kozelj and Nemethy ran solid 5ks, but a lot of their other guys like the track too much. Maybe "Derk" needs to get back to his Alberta roots and teach these boys how to run on the grass.
    10. Windsor - Nebel returns. But who else do they have? I'm not sure but I know they're going to be better than Regina.

See you after the showdown in London this weekend

Quote comment
  • naive-french-fries User since:
    Aug 18th, 2017
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #122 

Naive French Fries said 2 days ago

Quoting: No Vaseline
    "Men's:
    6. Laval: Queen D et Les Boys just don't have it in them this year to compete for the top 3. Unless they have some French magician up their sleeve, which I wouldn't discount them on.
    "

I hear Laval as un undergraduate program in Magic and that Queen D is already ready to win the after-party. But I might just be a little Naive. Calgary might take the whole thing. God, I hear that Pennock guy helped by his triathlon buddy had a great base SZN unlike Bear. UBC is clearly undervalued. Please show some love to the West Coast boys.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #123 

Anonymous said 2 days ago

Quoting: Naive French Fries
    "I hear Laval as un undergraduate program in Magic and that Queen D is already ready to win the after-party. But I might just be a little Naive. Calgary might take the whole thing. God, I hear that Pennock guy helped by his triathlon buddy had a great base SZN unlike Bear. UBC is clearly undervalued. Please show some love to the West Coast boys."

Bear is getting surgery on September 25th so might be able to make a comeback #InBearWeTrust

Quote comment
  • naive-french-fries User since:
    Aug 18th, 2017
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #124 

Naive French Fries said 12 hours ago

"Bear is getting surgery on September 25th so might be able to make a comeback #InBearWeTrust"

Best news in the whole circuit since Justinen shaved his beard.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitmaster2b User since:
    Jun 9th, 2011
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #125 

Master2B said 8 hours ago

Women's:
    1. Queens: MacD squared. Ditto.
    2. Guelph: "Last year they took the L, but this year they bounce back" - Big Sean
    3. Laval: Les Filles are good and repeat with bronze.
    4. UofT: Without Gollish and Kelly, they're good, but lose the sting they had to win like last year.
    5. Dal: Last years ROY Jordan and some returning vets should push them up the board to make them competitive.
    6. Vic: They have a close spread which should fare them well to a 6th place finish.
    7. McGill: Dargis and the girls should be able to have another decent season for the Martlets this year."[/QUOTE]

#4 Sure Toronto doesn’t have Gollish or Kelly but they DO have Lucia Stafford

Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1