LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
User since:
Jun 8th, 2015
thumbs_up 5
Report  ORIGINAL

Buddy said 1 month ago

U sports records V NCAA records

How many U-sports records are faster, higher, longer than NCAA records?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #1 

Anonymous said 1 month ago

without having to do a cross reference , I would stick m neck on a limb, and say NONE.
    this must be a trick question !!!!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #2 

R U Stupid, R U Dumb said 1 month ago

none

Quote comment
  • nc-blogger User since:
    Sep 12th, 2014
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #3 

NC Blogger said 1 month ago

Is there a list of USport / CIS Records? The only thing I could find was Championship records.

A quick look at the NCAA records and the only one I can think of in which a USport athlete has bettered an NCAA record would be:

Jenna Westaway

800m - 1:59.87 vs. 2:00.69 (Jazmine Fray)
    1000m - 2:37.04 vs. 2:38.52 (Danae Rivers)

Stafford bettered the 1500 / mile conversion time, but didn't run as a University athlete, so not sure that would count.

This post was edited by NC Blogger 1 month ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #4 

Quoting: R U Stupid, R U Dumb
    "none"

Nice username - see the post above mine.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #5 

Absolutely zero.

I would hazard a guess and say that in most events our record time/distance would not make it into the Top 100 of the NCAA of all time.

Quote comment
  • k-farr User since:
    Apr 2nd, 2015
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #6 

K Farr said 1 month ago

After a quick comparison on the men's side - the NCAA records in the 100,200,400,110H, 400H and 4x400 are quicker than our Senior National records.

The distance records are a tad slower than our National records
    Sully's 1500 is 4 seconds faster
    Mo's 5000 is 7 seconds faster, 10 000 is 6 seconds faster

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #7 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "Absolutely zero.

I would hazard a guess and say that in most events our record time/distance would not make it into the Top 100 of the NCAA of all time."

Funny that you say that directly under a post saying that there are at least two USports records faster than the NCAA ones. Absolute zero is a pretty small number.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #8 

60 mH time at NCAA indoors this year was WORLD 3rd all time and below Canadian record set by Mark McCoy. This kid might go under 13 in outdoors!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #9 

BestCoach said 1 month ago

ah yes Mark (Dubin Inquiry) McCoy very fast fella

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #10 

Quoting: NC Blogger
    "Is there a list of USport / CIS Records? The only thing I could find was Championship records.

A quick look at the NCAA records and the only one I can think of in which a USport athlete has bettered an NCAA record would be:

Jenna Westaway

800m - 1:59.87 vs. 2:00.69 (Jazmine Fray)
    1000m - 2:37.04 vs. 2:38.52 (Danae Rivers)

Stafford bettered the 1500 / mile conversion time, but didn't run as a University athlete, so not sure that would count."

This isn’t really a fair comparison because of the NCAA rule that states you must complete your eligibility within 5 years of enrolment. Neither Jenna nor Gabriela would be eligible to compete in the NCAA this year. I’m sure there would be some faster distance records in the NCAA if there were 23 and 24 year old women running, rather than the max age being 22.

I realize this is nit picking but it’s not really comparing varsity to varsity.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #11 

really nitpicking said 4 weeks ago

"This isn’t really a fair comparison because of the NCAA rule that states you must complete your eligibility within 5 years of enrolment. Neither Jenna nor Gabriela would be eligible to compete in the NCAA this year. I’m sure there would be some faster distance records in the NCAA if there were 23 and 24 year old women running, rather than the max age being 22.

I realize this is nit picking but it’s not really comparing varsity to varsity."

There are athletes older than 22 in the NCAA. You can have your eligibility paused for military or religious service (see BYU).

Stafford is 23 at present, Westaway is 24. If you do 5 years (and take strategic redshirts) and take a gap year before university, you can be 23-24 in your final year of NCAA eligibility without military or religious service. Some foreign athletes (esp from the UK where gap years are common) are older because of this.

While I will agree it is not entirely equivalent as both Westaway and Stafford are "pros" (ie. sponsored and fully focused on running, have taken breaks from academics to focus on the sport), I don't think that you can totally discount the amount of financial/competitive/other support that NCAA athletes receive. Hard to say exactly where it falls, but I wouldn't say that the comparison is completely unfair.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #12 

Fun fact said 4 weeks ago

Sure Gabriela and Jenna are "pro" (likely making less base salary than Ontario minimum wage) but the systems they were training in can't compete with the NCAA funding some athletes get down south. Fun fact, last summer UofT had no home track due to resurfacing so they were training at a high school field complete with little kid soccer on the infield. Imagine training to break an NCAA record dodging soccer balls.

Anyway, point is, I think the pro vs "amateur" aspect balances our, and as someone pointed out there are plenty of 23 year old athletes in the NCAA. Cheserek was turning 23 in 2017. Pat Tiernan 22/23,

(Really lol the fact CIS can have any record over an NCAA counterpart is wild so ffs dont create extra hoops let us have this one)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #13 

Anonymous said 3 weeks ago

Purely from the athletic perspective it makes zero sense to stay in Canada.

-facilities
    -cafeteria
    -weight rooms
    -therapy / massage
    -weather
    -social services
    and as Robert Heppenstall said, way better and way more competition.
    #sorry

Quote comment
  • a-brown User since:
    Jul 1st, 2008
    thumbs_up 15
    Report    REPLY #14 

A.Brown said 3 weeks ago

"Purely from the athletic perspective it makes zero sense to stay in Canada.

-facilities
    -cafeteria
    -weight rooms
    -therapy / massage
    -weather
    -social services
    and as Robert Heppenstall said, way better and way more competition.
    #sorry"

I mean, there are definitely arguments for development. The NCAA might be the right route for some but not every athlete is made the same.

I looked through the distance runners (800, 1500, 5000, 10,000, 3000sc, Marathon) from our last Olympic team and, interestingly, the majority went to school in Canada (12/23).

I would imagine that many would consider representing Canada at the Olympics as a barometer of success in our sport. While it's a fairly small sample size (a single Olympic Games), it's pretty hard to argue that athletes are being disadvantaged long-term by staying in Canada. It certainly begs the question - with all those advantages, why aren't the majority of our top athletes products of US schools?

Also, I went to school at a small Canadian school and we still had a weight room, a cafeteria, access to athletic therapy, and an indoor track. It's not like all Canadian varsity athletes are banging out repeats in snowshoes.

This post was edited by A.Brown 3 weeks ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #15 

How many Schools in Canada have top notch facilities?
    Toronto and York are both a joke so please do not mention them

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #16 

An example of a random School nobody has ever heard of LOL

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=38027

This is just one obscure school, now how many of these are in the US?

C'mon guys, we have nothing like this.

Quote comment
  • a-brown User since:
    Jul 1st, 2008
    thumbs_up 11
    Report    REPLY #17 

A.Brown said 3 weeks ago

"An example of a random School nobody has ever heard of LOL

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=38027

This is just one obscure school, now how many of these are in the US?

C'mon guys, we have nothing like this."

I'm not sure why you picked this school in particular, but Liberty has had two separate individual D1 NCAA Champions in recent history (Josh McDougall beat Galen Rupp in 2007 and Sam Chelanga won in 2009 after finishing runner-up to Rupp in 2008 and then repeated in 2010). I would say it's pretty well known in XC but maybe they are from before your time. It also is a private school with an average post-aid tuition of $24,000 per year.

With that being said, many small private American colleges will have the funds to have modern facilities. However, you certainly don't need modern facilities to run fast and many athletes may place priorities on things other than facilities. The fact that over 50% of our distance Olympians graduated from Canadian Universities should refute your (I assume you are the previous anonymous poster) statement that it makes "zero" sense to stay in Canada for athletics.

There are a lot of good schools in Canada with good athletics programs which can leave individuals with a strong education and a positive athletic experience. The NCAA may be the right option for some athletes, but it isn't for everyone. I would hate for a promising high school athlete to read the posts on this board and think that they were somehow making the wrong decision by staying in Canada.

This post was edited by A.Brown 3 weeks ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #18 

What % of our sprinters & jumpers over the last 8 Olympics went to School in Canada? (never competed in NCAA)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #19 

Bomber said 3 weeks ago

Simply compare age equal groups (egs a 5th yr USport out of high school is redshirt NCAA) and compare summer results at end of the year.

Usport athletes (who at a higher level) will compete in the summer outdoor vs spring season of the NCAA so a relevant comparison..

It's not rocket science....just needs to be consistent.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #20 

"What % of our sprinters & jumpers over the last 8 Olympics went to School in Canada? (never competed in NCAA)"

If you want those 35 years worth of data I think you may have find it yourself....

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1