LIVE SUPPORT

SEND US A MESSAGE

ContactCode

OTHER

Email:
    info@trackie.com

Voicemail:

Discussion Forum >>

TrackieReg - Free Online Registration for pretty much anything!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 7
Report  ORIGINAL

Anonymous said 1 week ago

U Sports XC/ AO XC

Not sure if the venue for AO XC 2019 has been made yet, but how amazing would it be if it was the Sunday after USports in Kingston on the same course?

What a great opportunity it would be to really bring Canadian University Running to the forefront. Many would be staying over the Saturday night before the race anyway.

The spectatorship for USPORTS would be amazing and would also allow Ontario High School kids the chance to see how deep U Sports is.

OLDSTER>>> MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #1 

I think you mean -
    CLIVE>>>MAKE IT HAPPEN

People might over-estimate Steve's role in these sorts of things

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 9
    Report    REPLY #2 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting:
    "Not sure if the venue for AO XC 2019 has been made yet, but how amazing would it be if it was the Sunday after USports in Kingston on the same course?

What a great opportunity it would be to really bring Canadian University Running to the forefront. Many would be staying over the Saturday night before the race anyway.

The spectatorship for USPORTS would be amazing and would also allow Ontario High School kids the chance to see how deep U Sports is.

OLDSTER>>> MAKE IT HAPPEN!"

Clive's the guy you need to talk to about this;-)

But, let me say that we DID bid on AOs last year and would be more than willing to host this year. And if people really want to make this happen, they should make their views known to AO.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #3 

Quoting:
    "What a great opportunity it would be to really bring Canadian University Running to the forefront."

Isn't that already the case? Ofsaa and Usports already get the most attention, not elites.

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #4 

Buddy said 1 week ago

High School kids care about...high school kids like only the ones in the mirror.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #5 

Quoting: Oldster
    "...would be more than willing to host this year. And if people really want to make this happen, they should make their views known to AO."

How do we do this? I'd love to race AOs in Kingston this year. If I just randomly email someone at AOs does that help with Kingston winning if a bid is submitted?

Clive, if you're reading this hope you'll consider putting a bid in!

Quote comment
  • ir User since:
    Mar 2nd, 2015
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #6 

IR said 1 week ago

Quoting: Anonymous
    "How do we do this? I'd love to race AOs in Kingston this year. If I just randomly email someone at AOs does that help with Kingston winning if a bid is submitted?
    "

Bids are reviewed/evaluated/decided upon by AO's Competition Committee, on which is only one AO staff member who is non-voting.

Evaluation is based on defined criteria and intended to be as objective as possible and not subject to email campaigns.

(AO often does post-meet surveys, so that should be the opportunity for AO members to provide feedback on what went well/didn't go well with any particular host/venue and can be used as inputs for future bid evaluations.)

Quote comment
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #7 

SteveWeiler said 1 week ago

"Clive's the guy you need to talk to about this;-)

But, let me say that we DID bid on AOs last year and would be more than willing to host this year. And if people really want to make this happen, they should make their views known to AO."

Steve, I think you should provide more context before encouraging such action.

"How do we do this? I'd love to race AOs in Kingston this year. If I just randomly email someone at AOs does that help with Kingston winning if a bid is submitted?

Clive, if you're reading this hope you'll consider putting a bid in!"

No, randomly emailing someone at AO will not help Physi-Kult Kingston win a bidding process that has already taken place in late 2017. Athletics Ontario is currently using 2-year bid cycles; the Newmarket Huskies won the 2018-2019 AO XC Championship bid.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #8 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: SteveWeiler
    "No, randomly emailing someone at AO will not help Physi-Kult Kingston win a bidding process that has already taken place in late 2017. Athletics Ontario is currently using 2-year bid cycles; the Newmarket Huskies won the 2018-2019 AO XC Championship bid."

I actually wasn't aware that AO had awarded for two years. When we got it last time (2012) we got one year, and there have been a couple of one year bids since then.

And, while I am aware there is a formal bid process in any case, it can never hurt having AO hear directly from members on this or any other matter. AO can always choose to ignore direct member feedback, but I can't see why they would actively discourage it. And formal surveys are one thing; a non-anonymous email (like the proverbial personal letter to one's MP) has to carry more weight when it comes to input on a given issue. I would still encourage members to email AO directly on ANY issue of concern to them, albeit certainly not with the expectation that they will personally get to decide the thing.

This post was edited by Oldster 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

Original Poster said 1 week ago

"Clive's the guy you need to talk to about this;-)

But, let me say that we DID bid on AOs last year and would be more than willing to host this year. And if people really want to make this happen, they should make their views known to AO."

I would gladly get our club to throw support behind this!

I just think it would be a great opportunity to have 2 huge meets back to back in the same spot.
    It would do only positive things for for XC

Quote comment
  • ir User since:
    Mar 2nd, 2015
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #10 

IR said 1 week ago

"And, while I am aware there is a formal bid process in any case, it can never hurt having AO hear directly from members on this or any other matter. AO can always choose to ignore direct member feedback, but I can't see why they would actively discourage it. And formal surveys are one thing; a non-anonymous email (like the proverbial personal letter to one's MP) has to carry more weight when it comes to input on a given issue. I would still encourage members to email AO directly on ANY issue of concern to them, albeit certainly not with the expectation that they will personally get to decide the thing."

Steve,
    You are correct. Just wanted to make it clear that emailing to ask/demand a certain bidder win is different than emailing to provide feedback on a process or staging of an event.

Some post-championship surveys do offer more extensive feedback than a bunch of multiple choice Survey Monkeys. Few people have taken advantage of those in the past but maybe some of those emails people are planning to send in could request that those be made more readily available.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #11 

It makes sense to combine the races. I see the Speed River is hosting the OFFSA track and field championships this year and is hosting the Inferno on the same week.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 8
    Report    REPLY #12 

That Kingston Course is the Terre Haute of Canada

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #13 

Pretty sure Clive is in Paris. Truly "living the dream", and watching his son race.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 7
    Report    REPLY #14 

Oldster said 1 week ago

Quoting: Original Poster
    "I would gladly get our club to throw support behind this!

I just think it would be a great opportunity to have 2 huge meets back to back in the same spot.
    It would do only positive things for for XC"

We thought so too, which is why we bid on AOs last year. And I don't mind saying that I was shocked when Clive's bid was not successful last year (and I would defy anyone to see a Clive Morgan bid package and not be blown away). Whenever you can put AOs on the same course at AC Nats, it seems like a no-brainer that you'd do it, especially when it's a proven course. And when that course is also hosting U-Sports on the same weekend...

This post was edited by Oldster 1 week ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #15 

Anonymous said 6 days ago

Oldster are you saying in reply #14 that your club bid on the 2019 AO xc champs, knowing they would be the same weekend as Usports xc?

Quote comment
  • travis-scott User since:
    Oct 18th, 2018
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #16 

Travis Scott said 6 days ago

back-to-back? I back

would provide some awesome spectating

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #17 

Oldster said 6 days ago

"Oldster are you saying in reply #14 that your club bid on the 2019 AO xc champs, knowing they would be the same weekend as Usports xc?"

Indeed. That's partly why we submitted the bid. Why do you ask?

Quote comment
  • buddy User since:
    Jun 8th, 2015
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #18 

Buddy said 6 days ago

If U sports wants spectators run the same venue/weekend as OFSAA

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #19 

Anonymous said 6 days ago

"Indeed. That's partly why we submitted the bid. Why do you ask?"

I wasn't clear on your wording regarding which year you meant. Did you know XC wasn't mentioned with the other AO champs date announcements, which usually means there is an appeal happening?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #20 

rock/hard place said 6 days ago

From the perspective of improving JR/SR participation at AO XC, I think that combining or coupling AO XC with one of the other championships against which it competes (and loses to in the minds of athletes) would be a good idea.

AO is in a hard spot - there are 3 prime weekends before AC XC, and all 3 are taken by championship events that take precedence in the minds of most athletes (Ofsaa, OUA, USport). One week before AC XC is too close to be of use. They have to pick one weekend to be in conflict, and no matter which one they pick will alienate some significant component of their membership. In other provinces (BC, AB, QC), some success has been achieved by combining the club/university/college provincial championships. Perhaps this is something AO should think about?

That said, I can understand (as a former OUA athlete) that the conference champs are special, and that the OUA is a bigger conference than any other (and does not "need" additional participants for depth). Piggy-backing on the same course for OUA or USports (but a different race) could be a viable idea to improve participation in the JR/SR categories.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #21 

Anonymous said 5 days ago

Quoting: rock/hard place
    "From the perspective of improving JR/SR participation at AO XC, I think that combining or coupling AO XC with one of the other championships against which it competes (and loses to in the minds of athletes) would be a good idea.
    "

I would suggest this is not something AO would have any ability to have any say over.

OU/OFSAA/USports have no formal connection with AO/AC and have no real incentive to get involved in any partnership (their stakeholders are universities/high schools and at the governing body level, don't really care a whit about club based activities).

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #22 

Anonymous said 5 days ago

"AO is in a hard spot - there are 3 prime weekends before AC XC, and all 3 are taken by championship events that take precedence in the minds of most athletes (Ofsaa, OUA, USport). One week before AC XC is too close to be of use. They have to pick one weekend to be in conflict, and no matter which one they pick will alienate some significant component of their membership. In other provinces (BC, AB, QC), some success has been achieved by combining the club/university/college provincial championships. Perhaps this is something AO should think about?"

Some years, there is an open weekend 2 weeks out from Canadian XC. 2019 is one of those years.

Quote comment
  • oldster User since:
    Sep 25th, 2013
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #23 

Oldster said 5 days ago

"I wasn't clear on your wording regarding which year you meant. Did you know XC wasn't mentioned with the other AO champs date announcements, which usually means there is an appeal happening?"

Ok. And you're correct. There was an appeal of the AO XC hosting award-- it was ours, and we lost.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #24 

rock/hard place said 5 days ago

"I would suggest this is not something AO would have any ability to have any say over.

OU/OFSAA/USports have no formal connection with AO/AC and have no real incentive to get involved in any partnership (their stakeholders are universities/high schools and at the governing body level, don't really care a whit about club based activities)."

I am aware of the current structure - sometimes thinking big requires change and collaboration. Scary! I've been an AC member in a number of provinces (including Ontario), and I think that what holds AO back is its lack of willingness to collaborate with other organizations that split the membership. I think that, understandably, there is greater prestige involved the school systems (Ofsaa, OUA), and trying to fight that or bury your head in the sand about it does no one any favours.

I've noticed from living in other provinces that they are much less petty about collaboration between the club scene and the school scene, and I think that athletes benefit from it. It is within the willpower of these Ontario organizations to collaborate, they just choose not to because of inertia/the status quo.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #25 

Anonymous said 4 days ago

"I am aware of the current structure - sometimes thinking big requires change and collaboration. Scary! I've been an AC member in a number of provinces (including Ontario), and I think that what holds AO back is its lack of willingness to collaborate with other organizations that split the membership. I think that, understandably, there is greater prestige involved the school systems (Ofsaa, OUA), and trying to fight that or bury your head in the sand about it does no one any favours.

"

You missed my point. It's not a lack of desire on AO's part for collaboration, but a lack of incentive on the school organizations to want to bother with AO.

What, specifically, would OFSAA for example, have to gain by partnering with AO on anything?

I'm not talking about vague generalities like 'more opportunities for athletes' or 'better long term development of the athletes', but what specific things will make the OFSAA event(s) or the OFSAA organization better.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1