Discussion Forum >>

U SPORTS PREDICTION CONTEST!
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 1
Report  ORIGINAL

rookie said 1 week ago

usports year of eligibility question

hi everyone so i have a question about usports eligibility… i know the regulations are here - https://usports.ca/uploads/hq/By_Laws-Policies-Procedures/2018/EN/Policy_40.10.1_to_40.10.6_Eligibility_Rules_%282018-2019%29.pdf - but they’re still a bit murky to me… so if anyone or coaches have experience in this specific scenario that’d be helpful!

i ran 2 races in the oua this fall and i was wondering if i run at Jr Nats for my home club does that use up a year of eligibility for usports??

i’m just not sure if usports has jurisdiction for athletics canada nationals. thanks!

Quote comment
  • blogsquad User since:
    Sep 1st, 2018
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #1 

BlogSquad said 1 week ago

From what I understand and what I've been told, club meets such as AO's or ACXC do not count as eligibility and in your case, will not use up your year of eligibility. However, it is to be mentioned that Usports counts eligibility as a entire year instead of seperate seasons (ex. Cross Country or Track). Therefore, if you plan on competing in track then that will use up your eligibility if you compete for your university team.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #2 

Anonymous said 1 week ago

This was an issue with Jeff Archer a couple of years ago. He ran 2 races and then ran a 3rd under his club and they were going to take his year away but Oldster was able to get his year back because the rule was changed. Oldster would likely be the best person to respond to this as from my understanding he has dealt with this rule in the past.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #3 

What if I do AO and AC cross and qualify for World cross and race that as well, would racing the Ontario, Canadian, and World cross country championships use up Usports eligibility?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #4 

Quoting: Anonymous
    "What if I do AO and AC cross and qualify for World cross and race that as well, would racing the Ontario, Canadian, and World cross country championships use up Usports eligibility?"

AO , AC and IAAF races have no bearing on USports (ie USports has no jurisdiction).

By the suggested logic, someone running four- five years of AC Youth/Juniors would use up all their USports eligibility before they are even eligible to attend a USports school.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #5 

"What if I do AO and AC cross and qualify for World cross and race that as well, would racing the Ontario, Canadian, and World cross country championships use up Usports eligibility?"

I understand you are trying to gather information- fair enough. But I feel like a) your own university coach, or even team captain, would have all the info you need and be able to answer your questions, and b) are you getting a little bit ahead of yourself regarding qualifying for World Xc? If you are that talented, why are you not racing Usports? Just curious

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #6 

Quoting: BlogSquad
    "From what I understand and what I've been told, club meets such as AO's or ACXC do not count as eligibility and in your case, will not use up your year of eligibility. However, it is to be mentioned that Usports counts eligibility as a entire year instead of seperate seasons (ex. Cross Country or Track). Therefore, if you plan on competing in track then that will use up your eligibility if you compete for your university team."

Are you sure that track and xc are considered the same sport for eligibility? I thought they considered eligibility separately.

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #7 

redshirt rookie said 1 week ago

"are you getting a little bit ahead of yourself regarding qualifying for World Xc? If you are that talented, why are you not racing Usports? Just curious"

Could be a junior (U20) who is currently a rookie. Could also be a high school student looking prospectively at what their options are eligibility-wise if they are interested in prioritizing making national teams.

My understanding is the BlogSquad is correct.

You are allowed to compete up to 3 times for your university team per academic year without sacrificing a year of eligibility. The exception is if you compete at a conference (eg. OUA) or national championship (USPORT) - this burns a year regardless of how many times you competed. If you would like to avoid using eligibility, you may compete unattached or for a registered club. To be on the safe side, don't wear your school uniform.

I believe there is some ability to apply for an exception in the case of serious illness/injury/other extenuating circumstances. Don't know of anyone who has had that granted, however.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1