Discussion Forum >>

International-conference-of-athletics-excellence
Reply to topic Go to last post
Anonymous
thumbs_up 4
Report  ORIGINAL

On the Fence said 3 days ago

World Masters Related Costs

So I received an email today outlining the World Masters 2020 in Toronto.

As I was going through I noticed all the usual - venues, schedule, practice schedule, and happened across the cost section. This was expected, I guess my expectation was a per event fee. There is that at $36USD, but there was also a registration fee of $72USD. Conversion makes it $130CAD for 1 event.

Maybe I don't have enough experience entering "International" events but the last one I entered only had a fee for the entry. Personally feels like some kind of cash grab to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experiences that are similar to share?

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #1 

Anonymous said 3 days ago

Quoting: On the Fence
    "So I received an email today outlining the World Masters 2020 in Toronto.

As I was going through I noticed all the usual - venues, schedule, practice schedule, and happened across the cost section. This was expected, I guess my expectation was a per event fee. There is that at $36USD, but there was also a registration fee of $72USD. Conversion makes it $130CAD for 1 event.

Maybe I don't have enough experience entering "International" events but the last one I entered only had a fee for the entry. Personally feels like some kind of cash grab to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experiences that are similar to share?"

It's getting to be like registering at a private school. You pay for tuition fee and then they charge you a registration fee.

Even $36 is per event is a bit steep.

Quote comment
  • cummings User since:
    Apr 1st, 2006
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #2 

Cummings said 3 days ago

Masters Swimming is the same. Reg fee + per event fee + fee for accompanying persons at World's, albeit probablymore pricy overall. Also have to be registered with FINA and have to be associated with a sanctioned club.

This post was edited by Cummings 3 days ago . 
    Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #3 

On the fence said 2 days ago

Quoting: Cummings
    "Masters Swimming is the same. Reg fee + per event fee + fee for accompanying persons at World's, albeit probably more pricy overall. Also have to be registered with FINA and have to be associated with a sanctioned club."

Yeah I get the be a part of your organization. I remember paying Event 1 cost you $$$ then each event after cost you $$. I had never seen the registration fee though. When I emailed to ask they said it wasn't posted yet. I had to point out page 19 of there entry booklet to them. Haven't heard back from them yet.

$36US (call it $50CAD) is about standard for these things. that didn't surprise me but the $80 to play was sticker shock for sure.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #4 

BC said 2 days ago

There is no limit to what an Ontario masters athlete will pay for bragging rights so perhaps the organizers know this.

Just look at what they pay for Boston.

So for "I'm on team Canada and I'm going to Worlds"

I would have made the entry fee $400 and still sold out the event.

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #5 

Obvious said 2 days ago

Most of the fees are decided upon by the WMA, not the local organizers.

There have a number of costs that are beyond those of your typical local or national meet (and there is correspondingly more of an athlete 'experience' at the world championships).

Whether the benefits are suitable to your cost (of which entries are only a small portion of your travel, room and board) is up to the individual.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #6 

Anonymous said 2 days ago

Sounds cheap to me. Try some other sports like triathlon that would be closer to $1000 to be on a World Champs team for a single race.

At $36 per event, I bet they lose money on the overall competition. Not much incentive to run an event that supports a group of athletes that, for the most part, are able to financially support themselves.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #7 

On the Fence said 1 day ago

The event cost has generally been around $50 CAD from my experience. I was just curious about the registration fee. I had never seen that. This is why I asked having never gone to a WMA event before. I had done the equivalent NACAC event which only had the event fee.

My only other complaint is being forced to buy a "Team Canada" uniform to compete when you receive no support from AC in this event. Actually I don't think AC has any involvement per say at all in this. The CMA seems to run parallel to AC for the most part.

Quote comment
  • oma User since:
    Dec 14th, 2012
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #8 

OMA said 1 day ago

Anonymous, there are two fees imposed by the WMA to all LOCs of their Championships. People who enter a Worlds, like I have since 1993, do so for the main part because they enjoy the opportunity to compete with other athletes from all over the World. There is no standard for entry, so there's no basis for 'bragging rights' simply by entering. Doug Smith

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #9 

Obvious said 1 day ago

"My only other complaint is being forced to buy a "Team Canada" uniform to compete when you receive no support from AC in this event. Actually I don't think AC has any involvement per say at all in this. The CMA seems to run parallel to AC for the most part."

That's another question you would have to take up with the WMA and not the local organizers.

WMA championships are under WMA rules that mandate athletes compete in their recognized national uniform.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #10 

On the Fence said 1 day ago

Quoting: Obvious
    "That's another question you would have to take up with the WMA and not the local organizers.

WMA championships are under WMA rules that mandate athletes compete in their recognized national uniform."

Learning experience here. I did the NACAC in New Brunswick years ago and just wore my club uniform. The mandate is the mandate. I like the idea of competing with people from all walks but in the end for some, they don't have the disposable income to afford all the overseas trips. The local opportunity is a welcome one. I was just curious as to what others had experience. Was not getting down on it.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #11 

Off the fence now said 1 day ago

So they will charge $142 CAD ($72 USD + $36 USD divided by 0.758 exchange rate today, Dec. 4) to do one track event? Clearly this competition is only meant for wealthy people. I understand there are costs to organize the meet but this high of a registration fee makes zero sense. I’m no world beater but did win a Canadian masters championship this summer and I cannot afford this fee plus hotel plus plane tickets (I don’t live in Ontario). So it looks like they lost an entry here.

Quote comment
  • obvious User since:
    Apr 1st, 2007
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #12 

Obvious said 1 day ago

"Learning experience here. I did the NACAC in New Brunswick years ago and just wore my club uniform. The mandate is the mandate. I like the idea of competing with people from all walks but in the end for some, they don't have the disposable income to afford all the overseas trips. The local opportunity is a welcome one. I was just curious as to what others had experience. Was not getting down on it."

NCCWMA is a different governing body (area as opposed to global) and has different rules for uniforms for their competitions.

For the thousands of people coming from around the world to compete, event entry is not their biggest line item cost. But if it's not your cup of tea, that's fair game.

(Totals of Malaga 2018 entries by event: https://world-masters-athletics.com/news/malaga-entry-figures/ - when was the last time you saw a meet with 500+ javelin throwers?)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #13 

Anonymous said 1 day ago

Well Doug maybe they don't brag to you but they sure do to all ther hobby jogging friends, workmates, other friends and fam :)

In other words they brag to everyone who does not know they didn't have to make the team :)

You know that too don't you?

Quoting: OMA
    "Anonymous, there are two fees imposed by the WMA to all LOCs of their Championships. People who enter a Worlds, like I have since 1993, do so for the main part because they enjoy the opportunity to compete with other athletes from all over the World. There is no standard for entry, so there's no basis for 'bragging rights' simply by entering. Doug Smith"

Quote comment
  • oma User since:
    Dec 14th, 2012
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #14 

OMA said 23 hours ago

'Anonymous' I just wonder what your motive is to slag the event we have been (as volunteers) working on for over four years. If you don't want to attend, perhaps you could keep your opinions to yourself! :-)

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 1
    Report    REPLY #15 

StrictlyBiness said 13 hours ago

Look at the demographic and average income of an OMA competitor.
    A smart business person would be charging $300+ for this event and sell it out.
    But look, honesty and facts is now being called "slagging"

Point being, the organizers are not "Dumb Flotrack" :)

Quoting: Off the fence now
    "So they will charge $142 CAD ($72 USD + $36 USD divided by 0.758 exchange rate today, Dec. 4) to do one track event? Clearly this competition is only meant for wealthy people. I understand there are costs to organize the meet but this high of a registration fee makes zero sense. I’m no world beater but did win a Canadian masters championship this summer and I cannot afford this fee plus hotel plus plane tickets (I don’t live in Ontario). So it looks like they lost an entry here."

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visitanonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #16 

Anonymous said 7 hours ago

Quoting: StrictlyBiness
    ""

Is the point of this competition to charge the most amount of money to participate or have the best masters athletes in the world compete against each other? If it’s the former then by all means charge $150-200 or more to do one event, if it’s the latter then this entry fee is clearly not designed to achieve that.

Also, as a condition to participate why am I required to buy a team Canada singlet at such an inflated price (at around $100 from what I can tell)? My understanding is that Athletics Canada is using this price level to raise money from the general public for the junior/senior national teams. AC seems to offer very little to no support to the WMA Toronto meet and the Canadian participants, yet they are trying to make money off of people representing Canada in the world championships. Just shameful.

Quote comment
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1