Report  ORIGINAL

XC selection???? said 1 week ago

World XC selection

Show Original Post
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #76 

Anonymous said 1 day ago

How far in advance could a track time be achieved in order to qualify? If there are no restrictions it could be run a year before world's. Surely that does not make sense...

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 0
    Report    REPLY #77 

Anonymous said 1 day ago

Quoting: SteveWeiler
    "A few brief notes for people to consider regarding this 10k XC criteria:
    *it does not include 10k road standards. There is precedent for a track/road conversion in previous AC criteria (Chiba) that could have been adopted
    *includes Marathon but not Half Marathon (a World Championship distance)
    *uses a World ranking for events that have considerably different levels of global depth
    *uses the same ranking for each event, rather than a bell-shaped curve with more challenging standards/rankings the further away from the 10k distance you get"

1 - agree re: road 10k
    2. - half marathon performance is not eligible for carding to my knowledge, so AC does not view it in the same light as other distance events
    3. - this is true, but is an issue for carding as well (look at all the steeplers we've supported recently, because this is traditionally quite a weak event internationally relative to others). if you introduced more rigorous standards for one event because of its lack of depth, you'd have a big push back
    4. a valid concern, but you'd need to have a great deal of transparency in terms of how these fluctuating standards are created, and what rationale was used to create the various data transformations. given the fact that the document just came out now - I think we can all agree AC didn't exactly "plan" this to the level that would be required in the situation you've suggested

Quote comment
  • myth User since:
    Jan 23rd, 2014
    thumbs_up 2
    Report    REPLY #78 

Myth said 1 day ago

Steve - apologies for the misunderstanding. I guess I was misled (mythled?) by your statement earlier in the post

"my personal thoughts are that
    the timing of publication should dominate this 'change in criteria' discussion: the most likely beneficiaries of Step 2 were already established before this criteria was released and other athletes have little to no opportunity to pursue these standards.

*emphasis mine.

Regarding whether an earlier 2018 document would be the same - that's wading pretty deeply into the world of hypotheticals and speculation. We don't know, therefore in my opinion, it's something of a wasted exercise to worry about it. Should criteria have come out earlier? 100% yes. And I suspect we will see some challenges and appeals for this team selection on that basis.

Quote comment
  • steveweiler User since:
    Mar 28th, 2012
    thumbs_up 4
    Report    REPLY #79 

SteveWeiler said 1 day ago

Myth, that's a perfect example of focusing on the outcome vs. process.

You strongly disagreed "that the publication of this criteria earlier would have changed the rankings list in any way shape or form."

I did not specify that an earlier posting would, or would not, have changed the rankings (outcome). You're welcome to insist that I implied that this change could have impacted the rankings, but given the context of the remainder of my post

"In what other circumstances would the Athletics community be okay with this kind of selection process?
    Preemptively - whether or not timely publication would have changed the standards rankings is both unknowable and decidedly not the point."

my post was specifically focused on the process.

Quote comment
  • eighthundred User since:
    Dec 30th, 2014
    thumbs_up 5
    Report    REPLY #80 

eighthundred said 1 day ago

Quoting: SteveWeiler
    "Please identify the "same posters" who complained about the quality of athletes on previous World XC teams and are now complaining about the 2018-2019 XC team selection criteria."

Just tell Leslie to finish top 4. If you didn't have an athlete that stood to lose a trip i don't think your argument would be the same. The objective of of a national federation is to select the best possible team given the available talent pool. Fairness matters but so does performance.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 6
    Report    REPLY #81 

Anonymous said 1 day ago

Yo eighthundred you forgot to identify the posters that were supposedly being hypocrites. Unless, you were just lying. Seems like a weird thing to lie about.

Quote comment
  • anonymous Anonymous
    thumbs_up 3
    Report    REPLY #82 

Anonymous said 20 hours ago

Is it really too much to ask that a professional runner show up to run nationals?

Quote comment
  • new-post-last-visittriple-zero User since:
    Feb 1st, 2008
    thumbs_up 13
    Report    REPLY #83 

triple zero said 19 hours ago

Quoting: eighthundred
    "Just tell Leslie to finish top 4. If you didn't have an athlete that stood to lose a trip i don't think your argument would be the same. The objective of of a national federation is to select the best possible team given the available talent pool. Fairness matters but so does performance."

If you were at all familiar with Weiler's posting history on here you would know that he is an advocate for fair and objective criteria whether it affects his athletes or not.

I am planning on focusing on a spring marathon and never intended on declaring for the team (in the event that I actually race well enough to be considered for selection).

This post was edited by triple zero 19 hours ago . 
    Quote comment
Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Anonymous

says…    

Quote Underline Italics Bold
Submit Preview

By posting on our forum you are agreeing to the following guidelines.

To help prevent spammers please
enter the two words below.

image-display1

Benefits of creating an account!

• No need to reveal your real name.
  • Quicker to post (no need to enter the "two words" above each time).
  • Gives you the ability to edit your own comments and subscribe to topics.
  • It's free & quick to create an account!
Submit & Create Account

image-display1

image-display1